luisinho

17th December - The Biggest Lie Of All Times

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:23 am

hii folcks! Big grin

I was reading all the posts about 17th December and the big flight and i'm very mad by now.

The Flight of Wright Brothers is a BIG LIE. This is one of the biggest lies of all times. The first flight ever made by man was made by the Brazilian SANTOS DUMOND in Paris in 1906.

You can read about it on: http://www.thefirsttofly.hpg.ig.com.br/pioneer2.htm

The flight from wright brothers was not a true flight. The aicraft of wright brothers was catapulted, not respecting the international rules for flight with machines heavy then air. So... why everybody says that Wright brothers were first?

Santos Dumont appears in the first place and the Wright brothers only in 8th. (Note: the “National Aeronautics” is a magazine of the United States). Why? Very simply because, just as in all conquests and competitions, in all branches of activity – sport or science – the records are ratified by scientific commissions and the first flight verified in this way was that one made by Alberto Santos Dumond.

Santos Dumond Flew in Paris, with his 14 Bis, In October 23, 1906 the Brazilian Alberto Santos Dumont made the first mechanical flight on a heavier-than-air machine: at 4 p.m. his airplane, the “14-bis”, rose from the ground and traveled the distance of 60 meters at a height of 2 to 3 meters: a small flight for a man but a great flight for humanity!

Here is a comparison between the power and the mass of the “14-bis” and the “Flyer”:

Year Pilot Airplane Engine Mass Velocity to take-off Relation power/mass
1903 Wright Flyer 12 hp 340kg 50 km/h 1 cv to each 28,3 kg
1906 Dumont 14-bis 50 hp 290 kg 41 km/h 1 cv to each 5,8 kg

The relation power/mass of the Wright’s airplane is evident that the same could never fly.

TheNorth-American Ken Hyde, a expert builder of replicas of the first Wright Flyer, in an interview to “The News Observer” of December 15, 2002, declared:

WE KNOW HOW TO PUT THE MAN ON THE MOON, BUT WE HAVE NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN FLYING A TRUE WRIGHT AIRPLANE.”

Conclusion: Santos Dumont was indubitable the first man to fly in an airplane. The North Americans historians do not have any proof for promoting the Wright brothers as the first to fly.

When Santos Dumont decided to attack the problem of the mechanical flight, this conception was considered utopian by his contemporaries, and remained so until 1905. After Dumont’s flight, nobody doubted more of the possibility of the mechanical flight. French Captain Ferber in his book “Aviation” written in 1907, says: “The Brazilian inventor has proved that flying machines can fly,” which is equivalent to saying that until then nobody else had.

These are his own words, taken from pages 97 and 98 of his book:

“On October 23rd, before the Aviation Committee, at 4.45 p.m. the airplane rose from the ground, gently and without the slightest jolt. The crowd, astonished, had the impression that a miracle had been performed and at first were struck dumb with admiration; then they raised a shout of enthusiasm as the plane landed, and rushed forward to carry the aviator in triumph.”

And, a few lines further on:

“The record was raised to 220 meters a month later and the news flashed round the world at lightning speed. A new era opened from this date because the paralyzing spell had been broken. It had been proved that flying machines could fly.”

The airplane of the Wright brothers could not take off under its own power, even in 1908. Without a catapult to launch the airplane or sufficient headwinds, the Wright’s machine could not fly. Compare the flight of Santos-Dumont's Demoiselle with one of the Wright's European flights!

So... guys... after all this... tell me what you think!

Yours truly!
LUIS

FoxBravo

RE: 17th December - The Biggest Lie Of All Times

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:30 am

I guess we'll find out tomorrow, won't we? If the Flyer could never fly, then the replica they built will never get off the ground...simple as that.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

JBirdAV8r

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:33 am

Santos-Dumont was a hoax....I seem to remember some pictures of their alleged "flights" that were staged very poorly (i.e. a treeline immediately behind the airplane)

[Edited 2003-12-16 21:46:49]
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

longhaulheavy

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:33 am

The aicraft of wright brothers was catapulted, not respecting the international rules for flight with machines heavy then air

That's just like us Americans isn't it? Not respecting the international rules of flight! Big grin Big grin

After all, we use these catapults all the time: http://www.militarycity.com/valor/images/valor15.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:35 am

Well, if catapulted-assisted takeoffs don't count as aviation, there's quite a few naval aviators who would wish to beg to differ with you.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

caetravlr

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:36 am

I think that if any amount of travel by a heavier than air piece of equipment occurred, then it was the first flight. Lift occured on the wings of the Wright Flyer. The short sustainment of the flight was due to the propulsion of the engine on it, no matter how underpowered.

By the logic put forth above, it seems that our carrier based supersonic jet fighters are not truly aircraft either? Aren't they in fact catapulted off of the deck of the carrier?

Just a different point of view,
CAETravlr
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Greg

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:37 am

Why would this be considered the biggest lie OF ALL TIME?
Isn't that bit dramatic?

InnocuousFox

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:40 am

Someone needs to hit the medicine cabinet and get over it.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

futterman

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:43 am

it's been debated for the longest time, and in some cases actually proven. but, only the Wright Brothers were responsible for launching the age of aviation. can you, or anyone dispute that?

their construction and piloting of a heavier-than-air aircraft is profound and celebrated. without them, though, flying would just be another side show...something at a stund devil does to entertain the masses. they popularized their success, and look what came of it.

again, the Wright Brothers's claim to being the first to accomplish powered flight--with or without a catapault--is debateable. however, the birth and growth of the aviation industry is attributable to them.
What the FUTT?

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:44 am

Just one more point here. The "international rules for flight with machines heavier than air" you mentioned. Who, exactly set them up, and when? Wouldn't it seem rather convenient for someone who didn't wish to see a pair of Midwestern bumpkins like the Wrights to conveniently say "Guess what? Their flight was the first one, but it won't count as the first one because we'll make standards that will disqualify them after the fact!" I highly doubt any international rules existed prior to the Wrights making their flight.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ssides

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:45 am

Here's an excerpt from CNN.com:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/12/10/brazil.santosdumont.reut/index.html

Even Santos-Dumont experts like Lins de Barros concede this is wrong. But he says that the strong, steady winds at Kitty Hawk were crucial for the Flyer's take-off, disqualifying the flight because there was no proof it could lift off on its own.

Peter Jakab, chairman of the aeronautics division at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington and a Wright brothers expert, says such claims are preposterous.

By the time Santos-Dumont got around to his maiden flight the Wright brothers had already flown numerous times, including one in which they flew 24 miles (39 km) in 40 minutes.

"Even in 1903 the airplane sustained itself in the air for nearly a minute. If it's not sustaining itself under its own power it's not going to stay up that long," Jakab says.

Even in France -- never a country too eager to agree with the U.S. point of view -- the Wrights are considered to have flown before Santos-Dumont, says Claude Carlier, the director of the French Center for the History of Aeronautics and Space.

"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

martinairyyz

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:47 am

IMO and in the opinion of most of the world, Americans want to be the best and first at everything and will lie to do so..... the "Wright Flyer" and "Landing on the moon" as 2 examples. This is not the peoples' falut but that of the government.

Nobody in the history of man has ever landed on the moon-- that's why they don't do it anymore. Not becuase or "Money problems" but becuase it has to be filmed.

Think logically!! The moon has NO ATMOSPHERE and therefore a flag CAN NOT WAVE ON THE MOON as in all the pictures and clips.

The whole thing is a hoax and the world is full of scammers.
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:47 am

Yeah... One lie that would be bigger is that if our world was just an illusion, like in Matrix... or if it was proven that God didn't exist.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow, won't we? If the Flyer could never fly, then the replica they built will never get off the ground...simple as that.

Well, what about the bumble-bee...it is not suppose to be able to fly, to small wings in relation to that body... but I guess nobody told the bumble-bee  Laugh out loud
Read between the lines.

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:54 am

"flag CAN NOT WAVE ON THE MOON"

Let me see the flag has supports running across it that give it the look likes its waving in the wind. We did land on the moon and anyone who does not beleive that we did has got to be a moron or a 13 to 15 year old Canadian.

[Edited 2003-12-16 21:55:32]

luisinho

Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:56 am

And what about this on NEWSWEEK MAGAZINE????

A related letter appeared in Newsweek (Nov 24, 2003, p 18; powered flights long before the Wright brothers):

The first powered, controlled, sustained flight took place 50 years before the Wright brothers, in 1852 (Henri Giffard flew 15 miles with a steam engine mounted on a dirigible). He went nearly 100 times as far as the Wright brothers did. The Zeppelins were powered as well, of course, but the first powered heavier-than-air flight took place in 1890 (Clement Ader, steam engine on bat-winged monoplane, 60 yards). The Wrights' 1903 flight (300 yards) was the first photographed heavier-than-air flight. [Correction: not quite true; there exist photos of Lilienthal's non-powered heavier-than-air flights in the 1890s; error inserted by Newsweek editors.] After the advent of relatively light combustion engines (such as Benz, Otto, Diesel), other pioneers pursued similar approaches, but no photographs were taken by Richard Pearse (New Zealand, March 1903) and Karl Jatho (August 1903). Finally, the Wrights needed headwinds or catapults to start their planes, so they were not fully self-powered. But Brazil's Santos-Dumont was (1906, first official airplane flight).

ssides

I hate to be rude, but if A.net had a "disrespected users" option, MartinairYYZ would be the first on mine.

Please, let this not become a board for conspiracy theorists. There are already plenty of those on the web.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

usair330

"Nobody in the history of man has ever landed on the moon-- that's why they don't do it anymore. Not becuase or "Money problems" but becuase it has to be filmed."

Yeah so Armstrong said bye to his family, pretended to get on the shuttle and then got out the shuttle with the escape pod (like in the movie air force 1) and then went to this little room where they had a set up of the moon and earth in the backround.... Oh yeah a hoax.... LoL ..... newayz..... The whole world has added to aviation ..... American's being the first to fly.... Germany being the first to make a jet engine.......Russia being the first to send a man into outer space (Atleast I think) .... Airbus being the first to use FlyBywire (Again I think) .... The whole world has added to aviation, but without the Wright Flyer's giving hope to the concept of flight, today there could be no flight... We can all be traveling to Puerto Rico or Europe by Super Sonic Ships! LMAO

tjwgrr

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:01 am

The Wright flyer technically didn't fly, the manned lunar landings were a hoax, and jet engine contrails are POISONOUS GASSES!!!  Wow!
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:05 am

It will all come full circle for Brazil when in 10 years EMBRAER is the world's #1 manufacturer of airliners....The low cost producer always wins...

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:09 am

Airbus being the first to use FlyBywire

Not true. Lockheed did it with the F-16 before Airbus did it with the A-320.

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:13 am

And those white trails in the sky are mind control chemicals. Get a frigging clue already. They did it, they had a picture to prove it, there were later movies to prove later versions of their airplane flew and we have airplanes that fly today. Yeah that moon landing was real fake thats why we spent those billions of dollars on it. Also flouridation of the water is a communist plot.. some people need more to worry about

atpcliff

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:21 am

Hi!

Actually, neither Santos-Dumont NOR the Wright Brothers were the 1st to fly a powered-heavier-than-air aircraft in controlled, sustained flight.

I read in the past year that a guy living near Phoenix, AZ made and flew a number of aircraft BEFORE 1903. He did all of the work by himself, without any correspondence with anyone else.

Unfortunately for him, he didn't think it was a big deal, so he didn't tell anyone about it. There are numerous eyewitnesses who had seen his numerous flights, but there is now written records, no press, no officials, just a guy flying his invention out of his backyard.

Officially, the Wright Bros are recognized as the first. The Santos Dumont thing is RIDICULOUS. The Wright Bros flew NUMEROUS times, with various aircraft, at various locations, witnessed by thousands of people, before 1906.

Cliff
DTW
TRY. It's all you have control over, and it's what God wants.

BeltwayBandit

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:36 am

You can define "flight," "powered flight," and "heavier-than-air" lots of ways. So there can be several different "100th Anniversaries of Flight." I have no qualms if anyone else celebrates another event. They were all milestones and all deserve to be celebrated.

I guess for some, though, it becomes a basis for advancing some anti-American agenda. I think it is safe to say that the Wrights' flight was among the few events that deserve to be celebrated -- even if it is an event that occurred in America.

trent900

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:42 am

Not true. Lockheed did it with the F-16 before Airbus did it with the A-320.

Wasn't Concorde fly-by-wire?  Confused

ifly2eat

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:42 am

Sounds like sour grapes to me. See how long it takes Europeans to get over something. Apparently more than 100 years. Spare me.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:43 am

That it was, Trent. Pardon me for focusing exclusively on digital fbw.

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:47 am

Seriously people, I think regardless of where it started, we all have to celebrate flight today, and how far it has come in 100 years. Here in NYC, while many have forgotten, it is also the tragic 43rd anniversary of a horrible midair collision, in the early days of the jet age when both pilots and controllers often couldn't keep up with the speed of their aircraft. You may read about it here:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/1960/601216-0.htm
Today we have TCAS and more sophisticated ATC systems that have made things alot safer, and air travel has become routine. We should all be thankful for the progress that has been made.

elwood64151

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:48 am

By the logic of the original post, Yuri Gagarin was not the first man in space. He did not land in his capsule, but rather parachuted to earth outside the capsule. Technically, the record must be held by someone who lands in their original vehicle.

Of course, this is absolute stupidity, and few have ever argued it. By the same token, the Wrights didn't meet the rules, but they were the first. So regardless of what any rule-making body says, the reality is that the Wrights were first.

By the way, human flight was started by the Montgolfier brothers in France in (IIRC) 1787. The Wrights gave us controlled, powered, heavier-than-air flight.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

zak

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:49 am

to add another name in, Gustav Weißkopf did his first motor flight in 1901 shortly after he moved to the usa from germany.
10=2

ren41

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:51 am

IMO and in the opinion of most of the world, Americans want to be the best and first at everything and will lie to do so..... the "Wright Flyer" and "Landing on the moon" as 2 examples. This is not the peoples' falut but that of the government.

You better watch out or else we're sending in the Salvation Army to invade Canada.

R41

trent900

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:57 am

In my own endangered mind tomorrow at work I'll be celebrating, as I would say 'powered, controllable flight of a heavier then air craft'. I was hoping to have the afternoon off work to go flying but unfortunately it's going to have to be Thursday now.

Was the Wright Flyer catapulted? I assumed it slid along a guide under its own power.

Trent.

SSRJ

Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:59 am

Daedalus guys.

Built wings of feather and wax.

He was heavier than air. And he was powered by his muscles.

Stay Happy people!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy The Wrights did it.

-RM
When all else fails, read the directions. Else then, get the hammer

LMP737

"There coming to take me away HA, HA, HE, HE!!!"
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

RIX

"That's just like us Americans isn't it? Not respecting the international rules of flight! " - ROTFL!

"The moon has NO ATMOSPHERE " - that's just like us Americans too! Ignorant morons, you know... couldn't even make those propaganda clips look realistic... Big grin

...Anyone to explain me - why do they call us paranoid?..

KBOS

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:00 am

The Wright brothers did not catapult the flyer into the air. They used a wooden rail to prevent the flyer from sinking into the sand, remember Kill Devil Hill is a sand dune.

Enjoy the anniversary, get your feet off the ground!
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

luisinho

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:03 am

yes trent900, it was catapulted, not used is own power.

It was catapulted and had some strong front winds, and so, he act like a glider and then felt on the ground like a rock. Is this your ideia of powered, controlled flight? Not for me and for the majority of people.

See this site and discover the big hoax.
http://www.cabangu.com.br/pai_da_aviacao/9-luso/3-debate-1.htm

See the foto from Flyer take off, and see the amplified circles and discover what's wrong.

One aircraft with this caracteristics doesn't leave ground with his own power! Impossible.
Year Pilot Airplane Engine Mass Velocity to take-off Relation power/mass
1903 Wright Flyer 12 hp 340kg 50 km/h 1 cv to each 28,3 kg

With 1 HP to each 28,3 Kg is impossible to take off by himself!

I only discovered this today, and belive me, till today i thought that Wright brothers were the first to fly, but after reading this i changed my mind 180º!

[Edited 2003-12-16 23:07:56]

trent900

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:09 am

But does it matter if it was catapulted?

Catapults are used to shorten the t/o distance. I'm sure if it hadnt been it still would have made it.

Trent.

SSRJ

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:12 am

Luisinho

Last time I checked.
EVERY pilot wants "strong front winds"

Also, you said you just read about "this big hoax" today? Boy you are surely easily swayed. You've accepted that story on it's own merit, but immediately discarded what history dictates as the first legitimate, repeatable (multiple times on the same day) flight.

RM

ORDagent

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:12 am

Remember that it isn't always the person that invented the thing, it is the person that invented the thing that got noticed because it was more useful or at the moment in a better spotlight. I think this may have happened with Alexander Graham Bell.

luisinho

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:14 am

Trent900

Imagine that you throw a rock, the rock flies. Do you considere that a valid flight? That's why some fisics from university of Sao Paulo, are now saying that the flyer is not able to fly. You can catapult me, and i will fly and i will crash land and brake all my bones, do you considere that a valid flight?

NOT FOR ME! if you think like this, anything can fly, even an elephant!

[Edited 2003-12-16 23:16:50]

SSRJ

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:16 am

The flag on the moon thing.

YES the moon has NO atmosphere.

BUT

The lunar module had ROCKET EXHAUST GASES that would have BLOWN the FLAG AROUND! HOW THE HECK ELSE WOULD THEY HAVE GOTTEN OFF THE MOON? SLINGSHOT?

GET A CLUE!

-Regards

-RM.

RIX

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:22 am

"after reading this i changed my mind 180º!" - and do you think Yuri Gagarin was the first in space? Now get ready to change your mind another 180º. The first guy in space was German pilot who flew an intercontinental rocket in 1945 to hit the Empire State Building. The whole flight was to take 45 minutes but something went wrong after first 10 or so minutes... doesn't matter, he was still the first. It's very likely someone else here read this - and there is plenty of such rubbish everywhere on net, in papers, magazines... Why? Because there are plenty of minds ready "to change 180º". Just welcome to the club, nothing else...

trent900

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:34 am

Luisinho,

You have got a very good point. Some people say a golf ball 'fly's' through the air.

But I dont think the Flyer would have managed to travel as far as it did just from the force of the catapult.

Trent.

bobnwa

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:37 am

MartinairYYZ,
Do you have any other conspiracies you can enlighten the group with? I did not relalize the truth about Kitty Hawk andthe man on the moon until I read your statements. Any ideas on the Kennedy assasination? How about the US hiding dead aliens in the desert?

martinairyyz

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:38 am

""""The lunar module had ROCKET EXHAUST GASES that would have BLOWN the FLAG AROUND! HOW THE HECK ELSE WOULD THEY HAVE GOTTEN OFF THE MOON? SLINGSHOT?"""""""

LOL..... it may have worked Big grin I know there are rocket gases but would the engines of the rocket be on 24 hrs?

Also about the salvation army thing..... Gonna send them into Canada to invade us??? Uh oh...... I'm scared they'll beg me for money!!!  Laugh out loud

Chelsea Football Club supporter.

racko

Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:47 am

You are all wrong.

It was actually me who first flew in 1899. Of course I've been reborn several times, the last time after I staged the moon landing.

757KSLC

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:01 am

So do you think the Write brothers were just dreamed up? You say Santos Dumont flew in 1906, but the Write brothers flew in 1903. So unless they were completely made up, they still flew 3 years earlier.
You probably believe humans never landed on the moon either, nor the Russians or Yuri Gagarin were first in space, but probably some ancient Mayan civilization? The time that it took information to move around back in the early 1900's, the poor records, and so many people these days defining "flight" in so many different ways, we may never know who was actually the first to "fly", but the Write brothers were the first documented, and photographed ones to pull it off publicly, so that's who tradition and history has come to know and recognize as being the "first to fly". Were they really? Only God knows.
This is post is pathetic. Too many conspiracy theories and forged, personal opinions.

DLMHT

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:16 am

I'm telling you, it was Daedalus and his son Icarus (sp?), with their wings made of wax and feathers.

They flew long before anyone else, and they certainly weren't from Canada, Portugal, or the US.

Seriously, people. Stop trying to come up with your conspiracy theories as to who was the first person to fly or land on the moon. If you're trying to further your own agenda by discrediting the efforts of others, it certainly isn't working. In fact, its only serving to point out your own foolishness.

Maybe the Wright Brothers were preceded in flight by another inventor, but they are the ones whose efforts served to promote aviation worldwide, and are so recognized. And this crap about the Wright Flyer not being able to get off the ground is purely ridiculous.

Tomorrow marks the 100th anniversary of the first powered flight by the Wright Brothers. Fine, lets celebrate it as such, and turn our focus on the progress we have made in aviation over the past 100 years, and to dream of the progress we may make over the next 100, not concern ourselves with trivial nonsense.

DLMHT

carlos1979

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:20 am

Its always good to see such a lively and fiesty debate in the A.net forums. Can we at least agree on one thing; that we're a lot better off today because of the contributions of men like the Wrights and Santos-Dumont?

C

j.mo

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:22 am

Is the 17th of December the biggest lie of all time? Because I thought February 31st was a pretty big lie.