learjet25

Landing At The Wrong Airport

Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:40 am

Does anyone know about any airline aircraft landing at the wrong airport? I seem to recall an incident many years ago where a 737 or something similar in size landed at the wrong airport, then couldn't get back out b/c the runway was too short. I guess it was there for several months, until it could be stripped and de-fueled then flown to a nearby airport to be re-configured. Does anyone else recall a similar story?

neilalp

RE: Landing At The Wrong Airport

Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:46 am

You might be thinking of the TWA flight to Steamboat Spring CO that landed at Craig. Craig Airport is about 20 miles from HDN (Yampa valley, steamboat's main airport) It was an MD80 and it ran off the runway and into a ditch. This is all I recall.

Also this was just posted about a month ago.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1272795/

PLEASE SEARCH NEXT TIME.

learjet25

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:30 am

Yeah, well I wasn't here a month ago. Haven't found the search yet. SOR-RY

bongo

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:41 am

Maybe this is not exactly a landing in the wrong airport, but I heard something about a man that board the wrong airplane, instead of board the Oakland, CA flight, he board the Auckland, NZ flight. Anyone knows something about it? or it is just tales
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

learjet25

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:44 am

Must have been a big surprise about halfway through the flight!

cpharris5514

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:46 am

Learjet25

Since you mentioned a 737, you might be thinking of the 737-200 (or even -100; can't recall which) from the old Frontier Airlines. It was on a flight from DEN-SHR (Sheridan, WY), and ended up landing in Buffalo, WY. From what I recall, the runway was not only too short for another takeoff, but the plane began to sink due to the aircraft's weight.

By the way, welcome aboard! I notice you're new, and hope you enjoy the many topics that pop up here.  Smile
From rural Carlisle, Iowa

FoxBravo

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:47 am

I think I remember reading about the Oakland/Auckland guy. More recently, and definitely confirmed, was the British couple who thought they were getting a cheap fare to Sydney, Australia, but ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

learjet25

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:50 am

That's hilarious. Seriously, do you think they suspected anything. Maybe, can this airplane make it all the way to Sydney? That's funny

FoxBravo

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:58 am

As I recall, they started to realize something was odd when they arrived in Halifax and transferred to a Dash 8!

FoxBravo

Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:59 am

Here's an article I found via Google search: http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/08/04/wrongsydney_020804

InnocuousFox

Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:08 am

When I lived in Northbrook, IL, there was a C5 that was going to Glenview NAS and almost landed at PWK a few miles away. That would have been messy.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

learjet25

Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:09 am

That's Palwaukee isn't it. That would have been bad news for sure

cpharris5514

Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:12 am

When I lived in Northbrook, IL, there was a C5 that was going to Glenview NAS and almost landed at PWK a few miles away. That would have been messy

Good Lord, I would've hated to do the report on that!  Wow!

InnocuousFox

Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:16 am

We figured out that they would have had to take the wings off and tow it down Willow road to Glenview.  Smile
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

electraBob

Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:42 am

Does buying a ticket from a travel agency guarantee that you will get to where you want to go without any problems? Not always.

About 3 years ago, the owner of the small agency where I worked sold two round trip tickets to a nice, elderly couple who wanted to go to Branson, Missouri. The closest airport to Branson was in Springfield, Mo., approx 40 miles to the North. Well, a travel agency in the Detroit area does not sell many plane tickets to Springfield, Mo. There was a simple way to look up the airport code for Springfield (we used Worldspan)....KC (kindly code)/Springfield.
The only problem was that the airport codes for any city named Springfield showed up....it was up to us to make sure we had the correct one. The owner ran the tickets, looked them over and handed them to the couple.

On the day of the trip, the elderly couple checked in at DTW for their flight on
TWA to St. Louis, where they would catch their connecting flight to Springfield. Upon arrival in STL, they showed their tickets to the customer service agent at the gate....the agent pointed the way to their connecting flight. Upon arrival in Springfield, they asked someone in baggage claim where they should go to catch the shuttle bus to Branson. The agent was very surprised...he told them that they were no where near Branson.....he then checked their tickets....they were in Springfield, ILLINOIS (yes, that's where they were ticketed to and yes, TWA flew to that Springfield also). TWA (bless their hearts) immediately reticketed them, and put them on the same aircraft back to STL where they would later catch a connecting flight to the correct Springfield. Later that evening, they arrived in Branson (their luggage arrived the next day).

About 4 years prior to this incident, the owner made a similar mistake. He had a business client who had to go to St. John's, Newfoundland for a meeting. Guess were he ended up.......St. John, New Brunswick......about 750 miles away.

Those airport codes can cause big problems....I guess we are all human.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:45 am

It wasn't a Frontier 737 that landed at the wrong airport in Wyoming - it was a Western Airlines airplane. The Frontier flight landed at Casper - gear up.

cpharris5514

Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:54 am

It wasn't a Frontier 737 that landed at the wrong airport in Wyoming - it was a Western Airlines airplane. The Frontier flight landed at Casper - gear up.

Yes, I stand corrected! Thanks!  Smile

POSITIVE RATE

Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:01 am

Speaking of landing at the wrong airport. There was an incident here in Aust back in 2000 where an Ansett 737-300 very nearly landed on a highway after the flightcrew mistook it for the runway. There were making a non-precision approach in low visibility and the plane descended to around 200 feet over this highway before the crew realised their mistake and applied full power to go-around. Now that would have been messy landing on top of all those cars!

N754PR

Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:11 am

What about the poor people in the cars that saw it!!
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

toltommy

Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:23 am

I recall a Delta jet landing at Frankfort KY, thinking they were at LEX... Late 80's maybe?

oznznut

Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:28 am

There was another incident involving a TWA 707. Sort of dates it ,huh? The aircraft landed at Ohio State University's Don Scott Field. This airport has a runway directly in line with one at Port Columbus (CMH), about 5 miles away. The passengers were bussed to CMH, The pilot was fired, and two other flight crew members got some time off. The 707 was ferried empty to CMH.

DodgeCharger

Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:45 pm

I remember hearing a story that at some time in the late 80s or early 90s a commercial plane (seems like I remember hearing it was a 757) landed at Corpus Christi NAS instead of CRP Intl.

Anyone else know any details of this story?

Skip7966

Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:59 pm

I saw the CRP story on the news. It wasn't the open NAS they landed at, but a closed field that is very near CRP. It seems the warnings pilots now get (forgive my memory of what it's called) about CRP is that the closed airfield could be mistaken for CRP.

CanadaEH

Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:25 pm

An Air Canada A319 almost landed at Vernon, BC when it was supposed to land in Kelowna, BC.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/05/fire_plane030905

Oooops.
EH.

Gnomon

Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:33 pm

I believe I read about an AA flight in the mid-90s landing mistakenly at one of the MIA-area airports -- perhaps Opa Locka -- instead of MIA, its destination.

Several airports near MIA, including OPF, FLL, and PBI, have similar runway configurations, with two parallel east-west runways and a third northwest-southeast runway (e.g. 12/30). I understand that, and the pilots' lack of familiarity with the area, contributed to the incident.

Coronado990

Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:06 pm

Here is the story regarding the Continental Airlines at CRP...

HNTSB Identification: FTW97IA187 . The docket is stored in the (offline) NTSB Imaging System.
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, INC.
Incident occurred Sunday, May 11, 1997 in CORPUS CHRISTI, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 5/4/98
Aircraft: Boeing 737-524, registration: N16618
Injuries: 59 Uninjured.

The flight was issued vectors to intercept the final approach course of Runway 31 at Corpus Christi International Airport, and was cleared for the localizer 31 approach. The first officer was manipulating the controls, the In-Range and Approach checklists were completed, and the approach was briefed. A previous aircraft had requested the ILS RWY 13 approach and the tower controller had switched the ILS localizer from 31 to 13. After the completion of the approach, the tower controller did not reselect the localizer 31 approach. The flightcrew tuned in the localizer for Runway 31; however, they did not identify it by morse code. The captain reported that the localizer for Runway 31 was intercepted, 'although at the very beginning the course deviation bar did a couple of full scale deflections, but locked on 7 miles southeast' of the final approach fix. The aircraft was in and out of a broken cloud layer at 2,000 feet msl and the visibility was about 5 to 6 miles. After verifying all instruments were properly configured for the approach, the captain looked outside and 'saw a runway at the northern edge of the cloud they were in and out of.' The runway also had the number 31 painted on its approach end. The captain reported the field in sight to approach control and he was instructed to contact tower control. Tower cleared the flight to land. The flight landed at Cabaniss Field which is a Navy auxiliary field located 5 nautical miles southeast of Corpus Christi International Airport. Cabaniss is located on the final approach course for Runway 31 to Corpus Christi. The first officer had just completed ground and simulator differences training for the Boeing 737-300/500 series aircraft, and this was the first flight of his initial operating experience (IOE) for differences training in the aircraft. The first officer had never been to Corpus Christi, and it had been three years since the captain had been there.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this incident as follows:

The flightcrew's inadequate in-flight planning and decision, and their failure to refer to the navaids needed for the instrument approach procedure. A factor was the lack of a minimum safe altitude warning from approach control.
Uncle SAN at your service!

Big777jet

Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:12 pm

Why would the earth an Air Canada pilot fly the wrong airport with big difference direction on runways Kelowna and Vernon airport? Kelowna's runway direction 15/33 and Vernon's rwy 5/23. Kelowna is for fly north and south approach and Vernon is east and west approach. It does not make any sense. Why he was turning direction east and west to land the wrong airport? How could he do that?

Big777jet

brons2

Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:37 pm

I saw an article somewhere online about a DC-8 that was flying American troops to somewhere in S. Vietnam during that conflict, and landed at the wrong airport. Turned out they landed at a GA airport. D'oh!
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

brons2

Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:00 pm

ah, I found it

http://www.popasmoke.com/visions/image.php?source=3048

mistake MISC 1969 MMAF/DANANG PHOTOS Submitted by:"DOC" Hackworth Relocated from COMBAT PHOTOS by George T. Curtis / NOV 2002 ____________________________________________________ updated from email Feb 01 2003 I believe this shot of the Seaboard DC-8/9?? is classic! The story behind it is even better...If this picture is of the event I recall. I think this was MATC Charter that was bringing in replacement troops to Danang in the summer of '69. It was a night flight bound for Danang AFB.(10,000 ft. runway NW of Marble); The only strip in the area that could safely handle big commercial jets. As the story goes the pilot was cleared to land at Danang but at night he mistook MAF Marble Mt.(5,000 ft. runway) for the one he was looking for. He somehow made a successful night landing on Marbles narrower, shorter strip. That's when his problems really started... I and 3 other HMM-364 pilots lived in one of the closest Quonset huts facing the NE. end of Marbles runway. The sound of this big jet landing woke me up as I recall...but it wasn't until the next day (when this picture was taken) did we grasp the full ramifications of the mistake. That's when they towed the Seaboard airliner to the farthest north edge of the Marble runway right in front of our hooch. The airliner, as it appears in this picture, became the topic of much bullshit and many pictures. We all realized that this jet was going to have a hard time making a successful take off from Marble's relatively short strip and the mountains to the South. We also surmised that if it was the same pilot doing the take off, who landed at the wrong airfield, the powers that be were just starting his penance... If he didn't kill himself during take off he'd probably have his pilots license jerked when he got back to 'the World.' Anyhow, they towed the plane to the farthest edge of the North end of Marbles runway, with the plane point to the South for take off. It looked like they had only the pilot/copilot on board but I can't be sure. They also probably had the lightest amount of fuel in the tanks to get it to Danang Air Base just a few miles NW. Finally with the bakes locked they revved up the engines to full power, blowing pieces of runway, tarmac, sand and God knows what else into the US. Army compound just about 30 yds. North of the jetliners tail. With engines roaring, smoke and dust billowing, and many onlookers cheering, Seaboard's misguided jetliner rolled the full length of the runway before getting airborne and just clearing Marble Mts. It was a great bit of non-lethal excitement for all that witnessed the events and was the topic of discussion and laughs wherever beers were consumed for a while after that. I never heard what disciplinary measures (if any) befell the errant pilot(s) but I hope it wasn't overly harsh...anybody who could land a huge jetliner at MAF. Marble Mt. in the dark deserves to be 'cut a huss'. To my knowledge that is the only time something like that happened at Marble. Hope this account sheds some light on this photo. Semper Fi... Former Capt. Jerry "Ski2" Skibinski USMC HMM-364 'the Purple Foxes'
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

kingsford

Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:04 pm

That british couple finding themselves in Nova Scotia instead of NSW, Australia must have been very dumb ! I mean they really deserved it for lack of good sense and basic curiosity about their tickets, planes, and trajectory ...

Even if they had arrived in Australia as planned, I bet they would never have found their way to the Sydney Opera House.

tomgib

Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:21 pm

I heard a story of a Spantax (Spanish airline) flight to Hamburg where the pilots thought that Finkenwerder (the place the A 318, 319, 321 are built) was Hamburg Fuhlsbuettel (HAM) and landed there. This is said to have taken place in the early seventies. I never really found out whether it is really true though. The funny thing is that Finkenwerder is right on the southwestrerly approach path to HAM and only about 90 seconds filght time away from Fuhlsbuettel. At least the pax were in the right city.... I would really appreciate if someone could verify this story.

MAS777

Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:21 pm

Didn't an NWA DC10 once land in Brussels instead of Frankfurt about 10 yrs ago?

Luxair

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:04 am

Mas777, I've heard about that story a time ago but don't remember the whole story and the only thing I know is that
it was a NW DC10 and hope somebody else has more info on that. I've heard that it even happened twice that a NW plane enroute to Europe landed on the wrong airport.

Another story that I heard from a relative is that a Luxair
737-500 flying out of ELLX going to the Canary Islands on
Monday landed in Tenerife (Reina Sofia airport) instead of
Las Palmas (Gran Canaria island) and the crew and the passenger where very confused at that moment when they
realized that they landed at the wrong airport!!! Maybe somebody can confirm that story? I donno if it is right but if that's the case than I seriously think to change my Username!!!

LV

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:56 am

Late 70s or early 80s, A DC-9 landed at Eagle Creek Airport instead of Indianpolis International. They are only about 5 air miles apart with similar runway layouts. He just had about a 1/3 less room then he thought he did

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:03 am

A spanish airline that doesn't exist any longer (SPANTAX) landed in Hamburg Finkenwerder instead of Fuhlsbüttel.

cloud4000

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:14 am

I may be mixing some things up as memory of the event is a bit hazy. Nevertheless, wasn't there an Egypt Air 747 who accidently landed at Le Bourget instead of Orly or CDG?
Boston, USA

aviationfreak

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:43 am

I`ve heard that at least one airplane almost landed on the new runway at AMS while it was still under construction. They put a big flashy Yellow cross in the middle of the runway since. I think this scared the hell out of the constructionworkers. Must have been a funny sight out of the aircraft to see people on the ground screaming and running around eachother like a nest of ants.

Can someone confirm this and maybe tell what type of aircraft(s) it was/were?
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

rkmcswain

Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:29 am

The LEX bound 737 that landed at Frankfort KY (about 17 miles away).

Don't forget the "Gimli Glider" that ran out of fuel and landed at the "wrong airport".

Here is even another story, somewhat related.

ATL2CDG

Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:31 am

There have been many stories of EMB120s landing at various GA airports around GTR (Golden Triangle Regional/Columbus/Starkville/West Point, MS). Apparently there is a plethora of tiny airports in the area and with the EMB120 not having the most advanced navigation system, pilots too often make an approach and land at the wrong field.

The ATL chief pilots have put maps of the area with red ink and highlighter marks in the pilots' lounge, hoping that while checking their mailbox, any GTR-bound pilots will get a hint.

I don't know if a CA has ever been fired because of it, but I know that there has been some serious reaming when the crews get back to ATL.

TysV
Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

martin21

Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:39 am

Didn't an NWA DC10 once land in Brussels instead of Frankfurt about 10 yrs ago?

I think thats correct... Heard that story before, what a mistake !

martin21
At 30.000 feet, the sun always shines !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos