MAH4546
Topic Author

Mesa Air/America West Apply For LAX-PVR

Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:30 am

Mesa Airways has applied with DOT to fly non-stop between Los Angeles and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. They are proposing a daily CRJ-900 flight operated on behalf of America West Express.
a.

copaair737

RE: Mesa Air/America West Apply For LAX-PVR

Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:33 am

It seems like the HP company is starting flights between SFO/LAX and Mexico, much like AS. I think its a good idea. Strange to see that this is a Mesa flight and the SFO-SJD flight is mainline. Hopefully we will see service to CUN or maybe even an SFO or LAX to SJO. Only time will tell however.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:38 am

Did someone at HP wake up one morning and decide, "Well, we haven't pissed off Alaska Airlines yet...soooo...." and start throwing darts at their route map?  Confused

It seems like a poor idea considering AS and AM battle in that market pretty hard.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:53 am

But America West almost always has lower fares. I am happy to see America West take on the other carriers. Its time they did.

ghost77

Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:06 pm

It seems like a poor idea considering AS and AM battle in that market pretty hard.

Consider AS don't consider AM, MX or JR.... all those destinations are dominated by AS., F9 soon HP! Mexican airlines got a lot of lack of prescense and really HIGH FARES!

ghost77  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

SuperDash

Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:34 pm

With a super high cost CRJ-900. With low fares to resort destinations (leisure fares) and no business fare usage and a 3hour flight...They won't make money. HP would have to run a 319/320 just to be in the game. CRJs don't have enough profit seats. And this one they would have to make on the local market. Looks like nice red ink run to me. Ole.

flyboyaz

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:18 am

Interesting idea. Fortunately for HP, Mesa pays for the operation of the flight and HP gets 90% of the revenue and also pays a certain rate for the flight. The only way it would stop is if Mesa thinks it's not a good idea and they're losing huge amounts of money on it. When a market is "ify", HP lets Mesa test it out first to see how it does....i.e Memphis and Edmonton. If it demands more capacity, then they throw a mainline in. So it really isn't a risk for America West.  Smile
Catch a ride on a smile!