LoneStarMike
Topic Author

Frontier's New Focus City - LAX

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:18 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031218/lath034_1.html

I knew they had a big announcement coming today, but I wasn't expecting LAX as a focus city.

LoneStarMike

spinkid

RE: Frontier's New Focus City - LAX

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:22 am

Once again, after all the theories of what this could have been, I don't think anyone on this board got it right. It's a pretty interesting announcement. It looks like they've picked some good markets to go after from LAX. The West Coast is becoming a pretty good battleground once again.

Southamerica

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:24 am

LAX?? Aren't you guys at L.A. flooded with LCC service already? Sure it's a big market but a low fare carrier jungle aswell.

Wish them luck... I think they'll need it.

Regards,

F. in S.

PVD757

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:24 am

wow, that is exciting and a little unexpected at the same time, although (of course) I'm dissapointed that there is no PVD-DEN flight, I think it is a good strategic move on thier part. It's a good airline, and it's good to seem them grow.

LV

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:34 am

Ah, the economy is turning around and it's getting fun to be an airline fanatic again!!! So I am guessing these new routes are where the 318's are going?

I'm even more excited about that little announcement near the end, direct DEN-ELP flights, no more of that BS of stopping in ABQ. Now they just need to match United at little better out of the Sun City and I will be happy to use them.

Matt D

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:36 am

I don't get it. Why is everyone flooding LAX-which is already saturated, while an equally large potential customer base resides about 50 miles east-meaning that ONT is sitting wide open, and eager to build a new terminal?

I mean think about it. At LAX, you already have WN pushing out about 200 flights a day. Plus Song, Frontier is already there, along with AirTran. Spirit is also in there somewhere. And JetBlue is thriving like the clap in a Filipino whorehouse 20 miles south at LGB. Meanwhile, WN is enjoying a near monopoly out at ONT while the whole region is growing like a cancer, and there is lots and lots and lots of room for growth.

Lindy

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:41 am

Frontier also added to its list IAD.

From their webpage:

Frontier to Also Add Non-Stop Service From Denver To El Paso, as Well as Focus City in Los Angeles

DENVER (Dec. 18, 2003) - Frontier Airlines (Nasdaq: FRNT) today announced plans to begin service between its Denver International Airport (DEN) hub and Anchorage International Airport (ANC), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) and El Paso International Airport (ELP) with two daily non-stops to Washington D.C. and El Paso, and one daily non-stop to Anchorage. Seasonal service to Anchorage will begin May 9, 2004 and service to Washington-Dulles will begin April 11, 2004. Frontier currently serves El Paso via Albuquerque, and the new non-stop service will replace the existing service beginning February 8, 2004. Including Washington Dulles and Anchorage, Frontier will serve 43 cities from its Denver hub, with Washington Reagan International (DCA), as well as Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) as additional options for traveling to Washington D.C.

In addition to Frontier's new service from its Denver hub, the airline also announced separately today that it will add service between Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Kansas City International Airport (MCI), Lambert-St. Louis International Airport (STL), and Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP), beginning Apr. 11, 2004. The airline will operate two daily non-stop flights between LAX and each of the three airports.

"Both Washington-Dulles and Anchorage will have great connecting opportunities out of our Denver hub to the West and the East respectively and we are excited to bring these key markets to Denver," said Senior Vice President of Marketing Sean Menke. "With Washington-Dulles we have added another option to a destination that is critical for business travelers and popular with leisure travelers. Frontier is also excited to provide travelers a new connection to Anchorage, Alaska, a popular, yet underserved destination."
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Greg

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:56 am

It's an interesting move--I'm sure, well calculated.
Being the only 'full service' LCC on those routes may be a shrewd marketing move.
Good Luck to Frontier.

atcboy73

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:57 am

WOW, how things change!

Did anyone ever think they would see three airlines flying STL-LAX?

We have AA with what, 4 a day, SWA with 1 daily and soon will have Frontier with 2 daily.

Thats awesome!

Im a little worried about the LAX-MSP run. I bet NWA will be all over them.

After these additions, how many dialy departures will Frontier have at DEN?

mariner

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:59 am

I don't think any of this is "the big announcement".

The press conference is scheduled for midday (mountain time), so why would they have apress conference if it's all been announced before?

Anyhoo, whatever, good news. Although Anchorage - ANC - really took me by surprise.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

lgbguy

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:01 am

This is wonderful news, more opportunities to photograph Frontier aircraft!!!

Mike
lgbguy

luv2fly

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:10 am

Well does anyone think some of the LAX flights might be because of the recent AA and AS code share agreement? And of course could some of this be directed at United and Ted? And of course let me throw out if Sir Richard is actually going to get a US LCC off the ground, could he be now looking at using Frontier to connect his pax in LAX instead of the hassle of starting a US LCC?
You can cut the irony with a knife

PBIflyguy

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:11 am

Was really hoping to see DEN-PBI...... guess it's going to be a little while longer.

flyboyaz

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:12 am

Well I'm glad they picked MSP-LAX...NW certainly needs some competition on that route!
Catch a ride on a smile!

VectorVictor

Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:53 am

Damn, the still continue to turn a blind eye towards San Antonio.

jeffie813

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:09 am

it really is disappointing that they are ignoring the PBI-DEN market. i'm hoping they have more to say at the press conference today.

GARUDAROD

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:26 am

Mariner,

If you check the numerous previous posts about F9 expansion,
Ive been saying ANC was coming for a couple of months now.
I still believe that YVR will also be added in the not too distant
future.

I think its great that Frontier is expanding to some point-to-point
service, but like you there is more to come with the big press
conference
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

CALMSP

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:30 am

now that its finally announced, how come no one believed me when I put this in a post three months ago? It may have seemed far fetched at the time, but here it is. I am surprised at LAX-MSP/MCI though. More work for us I guess here in MSP!!!

mariner

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:38 am

GARUDAROD:

You did, indeed. Congrats. I very much hope that you are right about Canada, too.

Although I'd like to see Montreal in that mix (can't remember the city code, those Canadian "Y"'s confuse me.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

CALMSP:

I can't remember what your prediction was, but if it was this (or something like it), congrats to you, too.

Why did no one believe you? Because we hear all sorts of things.

Jeffie813:

I was hoping for PBI as well - their offer was very attractive. But hey - there's always tomorrow. There's a lot of aircraft coming in to the fleet.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

CALMSP

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:40 am

well thats just the thing, I'm joking a little bit, its hard to believe what you read and hear, I just hope they keep our contract up here in MSP. This will add a number of new positions up here.

JumboClassic

Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:56 am

Can their 319s make it to HNL from LAX? Just wondering...
JC

FATFlyer

Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:01 am

CALMSP did start a thread back in Sept about an LAX expansion rumor. But the cities to be served were different.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1198122
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

SHUPirate1

Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:29 am

Jumbo-easily...LAX-HNL is 2221 nautical miles, and with a range of 3700 nm, is obviously no problem...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

dia77

Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:21 am

Frontier has already updated the route map on their homepage with the additional service.

JumboClassic

Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:26 am

SHUPirate,

The 3700nm range is cited for the the 75t version with 124 passengers. I was wondering what version (MTOW) Frontier flies. What about ETOPS?

Noise

Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:44 am

Anyone think they'll add Canada to their route network soon? Montreal-YUL seems like the right destination to go to...AC served YUL-DEN back in 2000 but axed the route in April of 2001. Maybe Frontier can give it another try.

usairways85

Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:59 am

Not that big of an announcement. But Seriously what is it with all the carriers flocking to LAX and SFO. LAX is served by virtually every main carrier and every LCC.

I was expecting more expansion to the east and there was very little of it. IAD? Come on, is it necessary to serve all 3 DC airports?

UA744KSFO

Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:11 am

Usairways85,

I think their addition of DEN-IAD might be a pre-emptive move against JetBlue. B6 already flies JFK-DEN and has announced BOS-DEN as one of the starting BOS routes. IAD is B6's other East Coast airport with service to the West. Also, IAD is a UA hub, so maybe this could establish Frontier as the LCC on this route before UA might try to put Ted on it or possibly ACA's Independence Air.

BN747

Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:34 am

Looks like they are making a move to cash in on some gates at T3 before Alaska sucks them all up. I was hoping they'd come back with the A318s but all the new service shows A319 ops. Regardless..WAY to go F9!!!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

usairways85

Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:36 am

True. But in IAD Jetblue would have to go up against fierce competition from UA on a hub-hub route. Jetblue has the only service from JFK-DEN, and there are UA flts on BOS-DEN but not as many IAD-DEN. So Frontier and potentially Jetblue are going up against a much stronger competitor in IAD then in JFK and BOS. Not too mention the fact that everyone that lives in DC or Maryland DC area will not travel to IAD to get low-fares to DEN, they can simply travel to BWI or DCA.

aaway

Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:40 am

BN747,
The T-3 gates are controlled by LAWA now. I doubt F-9 will get exculsive use of additional gates. Since AA left, gates 39, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34 are terribly underutilized. There would still be room for growth for AS, even with the F9 expansion.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

BN747

Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:51 am

Thanx Aaway, but with F9 having it's new departures to STL,MCI and MSP all departing with 25 mins of each other..that means 3 A319s will be on the ground simultaneously. That has to mean they have obtained usage of 2 additional gates to the one they already have. But I have seen AS take up the whole west side of T3 and every gate up (the ones you listed above)to 36. So there must be some serious flexibility going on there.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

ORDagent

Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:12 am

Hurray for F9! They are a good carrier that appears to have good planning for route expansion. I have always thought that if F9 runs into SERIOUS problems B6 would be the obvious take over/merger partner. They have the same fleet (at least as far as crew rating and most parts) and corporate culture. I don't wish this on F9 at all. I hope TED falls flat as well as Song. They are the wolves in sheeps clothes. A last grasp of the majors for domestic market share....But I digress!

flyboy7974

Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:16 am

you guys are a joke to think that l.a is flooded with service, it's the #3 busiest airport, and the only reason it's 3 and not 1 or 2 is because it isn't a hub airport. atl only beats lax because of delta, not because of the O&D traffic, it's all hub traffic, same with ord and dfw. lax offers many pacific connections, but other than that, it offers a population base of over 10 million people within a two hour drive. at lax, when aa vacated term 3, everybody thought alaska would get the gates, nobody thought about the other term 3 tenants, ata, frontier, midwest! i am glad to see competition on the mci route, remember, swa doesn't appear in most travel computer databases, so when the non traveler pops on the computer to buy a ticket, and sees now that fronter has nonstops, maybe they will book them. as for msp, screw nwa, they have played games with the lil guys for long enough, long ago they screwed reno air, they played with spirit on routes to the east, hopefully frontier can give them a run for their money on the lax route. stl is a surprise, again swa n/s flights aren't in computer travel systems, aa will offer 4 n/s this spring, so there will be some competition. i think frontier noticed that the big boys can be given a run for their money, and america west is proving that now out of lax with the jfk and bos transcons. when i was in lax on mon and tues, gate agents said loads are in the mid 60s, with some very low yield, but lax hp agents are surprised with how many walk up pax they are getting to the east coast now on the n/s transcons paying the high yield as well. as for the other announcements, anc will be F9 first true n/s night flight, except for the sat cancun service, el paso will be served with the CRJ-700 by Horizon, and IAD is truly a slap in United's face. I am guessing now with B6's announced DEN-BOS service, Boston will be on the back burner for Frontier.

CROOKS44

Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:22 am

MattD

Loved your line about Jet Blue in Long Beach. Being a Navy veteran who's spent a lot a time at Subic Bay, I got a big kick reading your post.  Smile

Aloha717200

Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:32 am

I can't wait to hear what is said at the press conference. Somehow I don't think this is quite the end of the news.

Still this is excellent to hear. I do kind of wish Frontier had chosen a different airport than LAX though, perhaps ONT instead, but I hope it works out for them. They face very stiff competition.

Still, it's exciting when a little guy goes head to head with the big carriers. If I had the money I'd buy F9 stock right now. I've wanted to for a while, speculating that they'd launch a focus city soon and expand their route network. Now that they have, I wish I'd have had the funds to purchase stock.

I truly expect F9 to become the Jetblue of the west. In some ways they already are, but as they get stronger they'll become an ever bigger threat to the majors, and I can't wait for that to happen.  Smile For now though their small size benefits them, allows them to grow somewhat under the radar. This bold move is just the first of what will eventually become a very strong route network for F9. That is if they can beat the majors. I think they can.

If there's a hidden agreement with American here though, that throws an interesting spin on things. If Alaska and Frontier are getting close, and Alaska and American have already announced codeshare...I wonder if both Alaska and Frontier will eventually end up in OneWorld?

Any thoughts?

Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:37 am

Apparently this is all that was said at the press conference, judging from the most recent (24 minutes ago) news releases, as well as today's photos of Jeff Potter standing in front of a route map at a press conference.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:52 am

Interesting that they will be going against NW on the MSP-LAX route. Traditionally, NW will price-match the LCC's on competitive routes. Flying multiple 753's on the route should prove interesting.

tpk

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:05 am

F9Widebody

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:13 am

Whoa!
Never saw that coming, well....maybe the increase in MSP-LAX, but DEN-LAX, wow. I guess they're trying to nip Frontier in the bud, so to speak. Interesting how they decided to start this new service exactly a week before the frontier service.

Regards,
F9W

[Edited 2003-12-19 00:14:09]
YES URLS in signature!!!

BN747

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:19 am

wow....NW doing DEN-LAX in retaliation???? this is getting outta control! We're gonna get A320'd/A319'd to death. LAX needs to put a limit on the # of A320's, A319s and 737s permitted into the airport daily....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:21 am

Haha.....
I'm not surprised in the least on NW doing that.

Thats too funny. NW sure didn't waste anytime.

PVD757

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:23 am

LET THE BLOOD BATH BEGIN!!

LambertMan

Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:23 am

MMmmm....safe to say NW is not shy about guarding their home turf. Big thumbs up

Aloha717200

Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:05 am

Laugh out loud That's hillarious. They wasted no time at all. Am I the only one who finds it funny that they don't mention Frontier in their new service announcement either. Big grin

I hope F9 kicks their butt.  Big thumbs up

aaway

Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:14 am

Repeat after me, DEN - LAX = OVERCAPACITY
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

STT757

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:43 pm

"DEN - LAX = OVERCAPACITY"

$25 Dollar Peanut fares anyone Big grin
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

SunValley

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:50 pm

DEN-LAX= UA F9 NW & (CO & DL by Proxy) Just think of those triple NW miles that will be accumulated on a $89 fare. (dejavu- B6 & ATL) F9 will abandon the city pairs in 4 months.

klwright69

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:55 pm

Live and DEN, see relatives in California frequently. Bring on the cheap fares!

Mizzou65201

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:58 pm

Alls I know is LAX T3 is, right now, the most disgusting terminal in the U.S. Gotta love the water-stained 1974 NOAA "Advisory to Overseas Travelers" poster in the hallway across from the dismal little sports bar.

But, it gets the job done. Will be nice to have some price competition against WN on LAX-MCI and against AA on LAX-STL, two routes I frequent.