BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

My Travel Refuses Jobs To Fat People

Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:01 pm

Isn't this illegal?
http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article165050.ece

Airline refuses large people jobs
Tilrettelagt av Carin Pettersson 15.12.03 12:25

People who are overweight can just forget trying to get a job at the charter company My Travel Airways because they only want people who have a “normal weigh.”

The charter company offers flight crew jobs this summer for individuals who are at least 20 years of age, 1.65 meters tall and have a “normal weight”, according to the local paper Stavanger Aftenblad.

My Travel Airways is looking for people who can work on the company’s charter flights from Stavanger and Bergen from May to October.

And their explanation for their requirement of “normal weight” is:

“There is not much room aboard our planes, and one should be able to easily move up and down the gangway,” said Åse Tilrem, a representative who works with recruitment at My Travel Airways.

The height requirement is 1.65 meters is explained that if you are shorter than this, you will not manage to reach the over head lockers.

Sorry Col

[Edited 2003-12-20 14:02:09]
Puhdiddle

RL757PVD

RE: My Travel Refuses Jobs To Fat People

Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:13 pm

I dont think so, If you look at Southwest they have a note saying that they do not tailor make uniforms and that a qualified individual's weight should be in good porportion to their height. After this they also go in to basic groming standards.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

2000first

Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:58 pm

"there is not much room on our planes" said the representative of MyTravel. thats an understatement!lol!  Smile on their A330's (9 abreast) and their 767's (8 abreast) the aisles are so narrow, that even i had to turn slightly sideways to squeeze past peoples seats, and i only have a 30 inch waste! So i guess i kind of understand what they are getting at, even tho it may be "un- p.c"!!

jwenting

RE: What Figher Planes Would Have Been Available?

Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:51 pm

setting weight and size restrictions is perfectly normal procedure for airlines, at least in Europe (I don't know about other continents, possibly elsewhere the restrictions aren't published but people that don't meet them just get refused the job).
I wish I were flying

VC-10

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:11 am

1.65 meters tall and have a “normal weight”,

That's nothing new. its always been like that.

airlinelover

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:26 am

Weight restrictions for airline jobs, mainly cabin crew, is normail and is not illegal. You now only have to consider how easy someone can move in the aisle (you don't want ghetto granny's ass bumping everyone's head as she "maneuvers" down the aisle), you also have to think in terms of safety for the pax.. A large person would be a hazard if an emergency exit was required. Also, most airlines I am familiar with state that you can't "jury-rig" a jumpseat harness.. If you don't fit in it without rigging, you can't work in that capacity for said airline..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

gilesdavies

Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:16 am

This is common practise in the airline industry within the UK, unlike the states it is not classified as descrimination.

As far as the airlines are concerned in the UK they need people to fit into small spaces and to be physically fit and able bodies to carry out emergency procedures.

FlyingBanker

Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:28 am

I don't think it's a discriminatory issue here, seriously overweight people are perfectly capable of performing most jobs. Being cabin crew sometimes requires physically demanding work, with someone say 300+ not being able to fit into a standard airline seat I should say they wouldn't be able to work the cabin either, I should hope MyTravel does not practice this in other areas of their company, e.g. reservations or or Gate Agents.