j.mo

Alaska Airlines Coming To OMA?

Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:01 pm

I was talking to a buddy and he heard Alaska Airlines was thinking about OMA. Looking at where their traffic flies to now, and the top 20 destinations out of OMA, it would be perfect. They have direct service to DEN, MSP, SLC, LAS but no Seattle, as seen by this link.

http://www.eppleyairfield.com/airline/default.htm

Even if it was Horizon flying the CRJ7 it looks like a winner to me. Anyone think otherwise feel free to shoot me down....

Jeremy

PVD757

RE: Alaska Airlines Coming To OMA?

Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:36 pm

If the numbers are there (which they appear to be) they will do it eventually. Airlines feel much more comfortable basing new service on solid O&D numbers and beyond connections on a given route. Since there would be only a few feasible SEA connections, I think the CR7 is a good possibility.

atcboy73

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:27 am

I find it interesting that PDX is on that map but BOS and PHL are not.

BOS and PHL are much larger markets than PDX, right?

InnocuousFox

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:34 am

This came up in the thread regarding Alaska's new city. Omaha has been courting carriers to try and add one lately. I figure it will be AirTran or Alaska. AS gives OMA something that is in short supply, however - another connection west. Right now we have UA and F9 via DEN, HP and WN via AS / KLAS), USA - Nevada">LAS and a handful of DL via SLC. If you want to add in the Midex flights to SoCal, that's fine.

I think it is a good possibility that it will happen at some point in the next year or so... but what gate to put them at? They would only need one. Maybe one of Midex' gates since they are cutting back a bit? Or a Delta gate?
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

MAH4546

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:47 am

BOS and PHL are much larger markets than PDX, right?

That means nothing. A city's ties with others have nothing to do with population. It simply shows that Omaha has stronger connections with Portland and Seattle.
a.

Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:18 am

Omaha did have Portland and Seattle service for years, via Eastern Airlines. For much of the late 1970s, Eastern flew an L-1011 (routed STL-OMA-PDX-SEA-OMA-STL) on the route. B727s flew the opposite direction. I believe it was a redeye from SEA to OMA.

InnocuousFox

Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:35 am

How odd. I can't imagine regular service from an L-1011 here.

cpharris5514

Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:39 am

How odd. I can't imagine regular service from an L-1011 here

I'll vouch for the L-1011 on Eastern, SEA-OMA. When I lived in Seattle, I remember the advertisements for it -- and putting a cousin on that very flight one day!  Smile
From rural Carlisle, Iowa

Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:17 am

My source is the January 15, 1976 OAG, as well as a 1977 Eastern Airlines timetable. I also have the newspaper clippings from the World-Herald showing the introduction of L-1011 Whisperliner service in 1976 with a photo of the aircraft.

I was mistaken on one thing... it was a L-1011 operating STL-OMA-SEA-PDX-OMA-STL with a B727-100 going the opposite direction.

InnocuousFox

Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:31 am

I don't doubt you... I was looking through the collection of Omaha pics on a.net and saw some stuff I wasn't expecting.

Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:34 am

Yes, OMA had many things one wouldn't expect. I've amassed a collection of over 500 World-Herald articles on Eppley Airfield from 1925 to 1990 as well as collected data from over 250 airline timetables on their operations into Omaha, primarily in the 1970s and 1980s.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:50 am

I was at a corporate planning meeting at headquarters in SEA yesterday, and nothing was mentioned about OMA.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos