venuscat2

ATL Short Staffed?

Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:45 am

I was picking someone up from the airport today, and his DL CRJ flight from ATL was an hour late (I didn't really mind, went out to the viewing area to spot) because they didn't have any baggage handlers to load the plane. I guess the captain eventually went out and loaded it up. (sounds like southwest to me)

srbmod

RE: ATL Short Staffed?

Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:16 pm

ASA has always had a problem with ramp staffing levels. They seem to have a new class of rampers on OJT every week. The problem is that the large number of bad workers end up causing the good workers to quit in frustration. But it also could have had something to do with the time of the day as well. Some of the rampers seem to think that regardless of how many a/c are in their gate that when it's time for their shift to end, they are not obligated to stay past their shift ending time. There were a few times I came in early to either run the gate or run bags, and the morning shift would just slack off once the first evening shift guys came in @ 3 pm. I remember coming in one afternoon and a 3:15 departure to MYR was still not even loaded and the ramp crew is all sitting in the pillbox. I brought the bag cart planeside, and went into the pillbox and said we have a plane to load, and they just looked at me and sat there. The plane is supposed to leave in 5 minutes, and not a single bag is loaded yet. By the time the plane was loaded (after having to get the ramp manager out there to get them out of the pillbox, as our zone supervisor had about the same luck as I did). I've thought about trying to get back on @ ASA, but decided I don't want to revisit the b.s. I had to deal with back when I worked there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos