My guess is it is something like this:
- They all have formal or informal lists of new destinations and/or routes they want to service. (to me this would be the most interesting)
- Twice yearly their planning processes requires them to adjust the schedules significantly.
- Sometimes at these cycles they make a strategic decision to try and add new cities or routes.
- They then select based on treaty rights, fit with alliance partners, and economic forecasts.
- They allocate or add aircraft, choose crew as needed, files some plans with some authorities, plan marketing campaigns, and announce ticket sales.
Is that about right? Anyone care to comment on how it 'really works', and what are the key go/no-go factors?