COIAH99
Topic Author

Which Airline Is In Need Of A New Paint Scheme

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:15 am

Forgive me if this has been brought up before. I was wondering what airline is in need of a new paint scheme?
I vote for my own airline Continental. It's been roughly ten years since they changed it from the meatball. I guess I get sick of looking at white all the time. I would suggest and all grey fuselage.(like the bottom half of our planes) with a white tail? What do you all think. Thanks.
Work Hard Fly Right

atrude777

RE: Which Airline Is In Need Of A New Paint Scheme

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:21 am

Yes, thjis has been discussed bewfore but oh well.

I actually like the CO scheme. But The one that I THINK needs a change would be.........NOTHING. Everything is perfect and fine. UAL and AA needs to keep it because I hate the all white feature as well as WN, FL and AWA.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

DeltaGuy

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:22 am

Definately AA......and UA as well.

I miss TWA's colors, and the old Delta widget...We do need more Retrojets!

...and please, noone suggest using the "search" function..some of us can't, and we've gotta have some sort of convo here! If yall dont like it, don't reply, COIAH or anyone else is welcome to ask any question...even if it's been discussed.  Big thumbs up

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

VSGirl

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:24 am

Good Afternoon,

I know it sounds odd, but I think British Airways really needs a make over! The white aircraft and tails just done not do it for me!

Also United Airlines could do with an update, it looks so 90's  Big grin

Kimberly.

UAL747

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:36 am

AA should not, and will not change for a while. Classic livery, and timeless. On British Airways, their Landor scheme, (Grey with Black/Dk.Blue) was their classiest scheme ever. Displayed the majesty of the UK, now they sold out for that dot com crap of the 90's and look like every other carrier in Europe.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

VSGirl

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:39 am

I know what you mean, maybe I will go to LHR and do some painting tonight lol

Kimberly.

Pe@rson

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:47 am

WN's livery is old, dull, dark and it does not, in any way, suggest that it is a LCC. It is not particularly eye-catching and it is not instantly recognisable. It needs to alter it so that it's immediately noticeable, indicative of the low-cost market and bright and cheerful.

[Edited 2003-12-22 18:47:58]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

AirGAbon

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:47 am

I think Air France needs a change of paint scheme.

I would suggest and all blue fuselage (like Air Tahiti Nui) or an all grey and blue fuselage (like Aeroflot or Aeromexico).

UAL747

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:53 am

Pe@rson,

You do know that WN now has the blue/brown/orange livery now don't you? I'd say with a livery like that, it definitely looks VERY LCC! About as LCC as a neon sign at a cheap bar.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

US653

Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:00 am

Pe@rson,
I think I'd have to disagree with you regarding WN's livery. Their new livery is bright and definately stands out in the crowd. In fact their old livery was also instantly recognizable and stood out.
US653...PHL-AUA...The best place in the Caribbean!!!

contrails

Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:16 am

I think US is in serious need of new livery, but I doubt they can afford it.
Flying Colors Forever!

Pe@rson

Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:19 am

"Pe@rson,

You do know that WN now has the blue/brown/orange livery now don't you? I'd say with a livery like that, it definitely looks VERY LCC! About as LCC as a neon sign at a cheap bar.

think I'd have to disagree with you regarding WN's livery. Their new livery is bright and definately stands out in the crowd. In fact their old livery was also instantly recognizable and stood out."

Totally disagree. It looks old, dull and boring - even in the new colours. Compare it with U2 and you'll see what I mean. Perhaps a bright yellow flus. and bright blue engines would be more effective.  Wink/being sarcastic And I doubt that the average passenger instantly recognises it because it doesn't stand out from the crowd.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VSGirl

I am still sticking with United Airlines!

richierich

Delta.
I think it has been 2 years since the last one, so they are due!  Smile
None shall pass!!!!

Southamerica

Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:20 am

I personally think almost any "all-white fuselage" livery needs a change, and to see if finally publicist get over the Eurowhite !.

Definitely think that "cheatlines" are passed out aswell. Makes the airline look as if it was still stuck in the mid 70s.

Hope to see more curves and arcs around like the new UPS livery or Gulf Air.

Regards,

SOUTHA.

Boeing777/747

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:49 am

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIbbbbbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

A new Iberia idea:

http://www.liladesign.com/Iberia.html

kaitak

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:55 am

I agree; Iberia should have one. I like their livery, but it does need an update.

Qantas's current livery dates back to the mid 1980s and could also do with a review.

Martinair DEFINITELY needs a little more imagination!

Kuwait Airways is another one with a less than imaginative livery; if it wants to compete with the likes of EK, QR, GF, etc., it would need to get its act together (of which a new livery should only be a part).

InnocuousFox

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:59 am

American Eagle. The American mainline stuff is tolerable for history's sake... but the EGF stuff has got to go!
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

kl911

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:00 am

1. American Airlines since they don't even use paint at the moment, looks cheap!

2. Air France, very white, thus dirty, boring etc...

3. BA, very old fashioned, something for my grandparents..

Karlok

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:03 am

I vote for Olympic Airways, it looks too old for me.

Jaspike

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:03 am

Kl911: BA is old fashioned? Looks good to me Big thumbs up

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeff Miller
View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Borda

Josh

kl911

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:11 am

Jaspike,

Sorry, but white is just soooo boring, get some colours....
( just my opinion...)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Legolas Flix

View Large View Medium

Photo © TZ Aviation

tommy767

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:13 am

"Also United Airlines could do with an update, it looks so 90's"

My exact opinion on UAL! They need to roll out new color scheme!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

iflyatldl

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:16 am

I would love to see a Retro Delta jet-pre widget....Fly Delta Air Lines- like how the original DC-8 was delivered.  Smile
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Tom in NO

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:18 am

UA and US definitely need makeovers.

And US could make peace with employees and fans of the airlines they bought and ripped apart by painting retro liveries on their aircraft (PSA and Piedmont would be a good start).

In that vein, I'd be interested in seeing AA do retro liveries of Air California/Air Cal and Reno Air. Continental would do good with retro liveries of Eastern, PeoplExpress, Frontier I, New York Air, etc.

Northwest could do retro liveries of Southern, North Central, Hughes Air West, Republic, etc. Of course, they could just peel off successive layers of paint on their DC-9's to take care of that Big grin.

Those would do for starters.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SA006

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:20 am

Well AA should keep their livery. Old fashioned very nice. UA DEFINITELY need a chabge in livery. IB AF Air Mauritius Olympic Airways LH(Definetly)

Rgds
SA006
Proudly South African

luv2fly

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:25 am

I think CO could use an update of sorts, tho I do still like and enjoy there current color scheme. Now that said, I also like the current BA scheme, and I did like the World tails as well. Now both AA and UA could use an update of sorts as well. I would like to see UA adopt a new scheme when and if they emerge from bankruptcy. Now the new NW looks so much difference in daylight than it does in photos, and it looks good, clean and modern. DL the widget is outdated and past its prime and the current Deltafloot is uninspired and blah. US, yes they could use a make over, tho I think it is more important that they start making some money right now. WN, no I like the new shocking bright colors and also the special paint scheme as well. HP yes they need a new color scheme, and last AS is fine with the color scheme they have currently.
You can cut the irony with a knife

iflyatldl

Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:51 am

A Northeast "Yellow Bird" done by Delta would also be cool. Maybe on a 767-300. Smile

iflyatldl

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:04 am

Luv2fly-
What could you do with CO's livery to improve it ? I know it needs something....it kinda just lays there... Smile

StevenUhl777

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:44 am

BRING BACK THE MEATBALL !!!!!!!!! (j/k)  Nuts

Seriously....UA needs an updated livery more so than others, as they reemerge from Ch. 11 and create a new identity and put aside the past.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

RyanairA320

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:47 am

I think AER LINGUS has the best livery. Its modern, colourful, clean and instantly recognizable.

I also think RYANAIR have a great livery. I find its livery very prestigious for such a major Low-fares airline

RyanairA320

Ryanair 'The Low Fares Airline' and now also 'The On-time Airline'

bongo

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:54 am

Martinair and AA (I know most of you are AA fans, but it can be a slight change..and keeping the bare metal color)
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

SNBA319

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:57 am

AF need a new livery, if they want to start matching up with KLM!

Couldn't get through to the liladesign link for Iberia ?! but knowing that site it'd probably be good. Think BA looks good, fits their corporate identity really well. I guess that should a criteria; does the livery fit the identity or the desired image?

Just talking about what your favourite colours are is a bit superficial...

QantasA332

Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:39 am

As many of you have already said, I think AA, BA, and AF need a bit of a change...also it'd be kind of nice to see a new, interesting QF scheme (not that their current scheme is bad, but...).

qantasA332

AnsettAW

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:17 am

I'm not a big fan of changing c/s every three seconds. I think AF and AA look good even though they've been around for a long time. I'm surprised that some of you think US needs a change -- the deep blue fuselage with a slight shock of red is distinguished and classy. It's already been stated, but IB is my vote. The new Iberia idea is fantastic. I don't think liveries need to be busy and over-the-top to be good.
Snap, Krackle, and Pop are thinly veiled emblems for the Trilateral Commission.

aviationmaster

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:20 am

Air France should paint their planes brown, at least the dirt won't show Big grin For me, LH and IB should change theirs or modernize them at least.

Finnair MD-11

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:22 am

1. Iberia
2. Lufthansa
3. KLM

KLM did modify their livery, but not too much. The company logo and tail needs to be re-done!

Finnair MD-11
MD-11

Q330

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:28 am

How about Air India!?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Moores

Ugh.

Actually I heard that they tried to change the scheme once, but people didn't want them to and they left it.

-Q
Long live the A330!

syncmaster

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:29 am

As much as I hate American Airlines, and I hate cheat lines, I think AA's livery looks fine the way it is, and it obviously works for them.

Pretty much the same with US, I think it looks very classy and professional, and for those reasons I think it is fine too.

SNBA319

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:32 am

@ Syncmaster

Could you at least explain why they should redo it? Other than the fact that they redid it, but not too much? Just curious no offence intended  Wink/being sarcastic

Looks to me like they want to hold on to a certain theme/ corporate identity, and changing such things will only cost extra tons of money as it would have to be applied on everything; and as they will probably adapt some new corporate identity within the next decade this would indeed be quite a waste.

[Edited 2003-12-23 00:33:06]

luv2fly

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:35 am

Iflyatldl

About CO's color scheme and what I would do to improve it, off hand I do not know, let me think about it and I will get back, yes I agree it is kinda flat and just sits there. I really like the scheme I just feel it does need to be punched up a tad. Like Arnold would say "I'll be back!"
You can cut the irony with a knife

airways6max

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:55 am

If any airline needs a new color-scheme, it is American Airlines. Their current color scheme has been around since the late '60s and looks terribly old hat along other airlines--domestic and international.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gabe Pfeiffer

Continental's current scheme is not unattractive--just boring. All white gets old after a while and their logo is so bland, it would look more at home being the logo for an accounting firm. I rather miss the old meatball color scheme.

View Large View Medium

Photo © George W. Hamlin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Moores

Finally, I think it was a mistake for USAir to have ditched the old triple-red paint scheme. That one had class and really stood out at airports. I think the current Patriotic color scheme would be a good one for American Airlines.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

miamix707

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:00 am

Air Canada
JAL tail looks like it was dipped in a paint bucket or in blood more than a rising sun.. bring back the crane, do yourself a favor..
Continental - not necessarily the meatball (although id be glad) but some other colors beside the overused white and blue. More people could recognize the meatball livery than the current one which is too anonymous.
Lufthansa needs a reworking. Add something to the fuselage and a white or yellow outline to the tail
European ..I hope the new scheme doesnt last long
Jetblue - use a brighter blue for the lower fuselage, and maybe larger titles
KLM messed up their great livery
Air 2000/First Choice. Wavy line that changes colors is tasteless and the paint splatter on the tail is ridiculous for a logo. First choice is too sophisticated a name for this last choice image.
Avianca summa c/s hopefully theyll go soon..
Aviacsa
Aerolineas Argentinas
Aeromexico
Mexicana extend the green to the fuselage like before
Azteca
Copa need their own identity instead of continental's
Delta.. bad font next to a small widget that doesn't go with the wavy mess of bright reds and blues on the tail. Not even the metal underbelly or bright tail saves it. This just doesn't turn heads or looks any more fresh like it was intended to do.

Really most airlines with a basic white fuselage and blue engines & tails need a change, unfortunately thats what they've just changed to.

UA will soon supposedly change their already dark ugly gray livery unfortunately to an even worse eurowhite. The world's biggest carrier now wants to look like an LCC.

miamix707

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:09 am

hey southamerica  Smile

i like curves too (on women), on airplanes, not very often although I also like Gulf Air's livery, mostly for the colors used. UPS.. is so so. Check out SAHSA of honduras for a good curvy design with some balance to it.
cheatlines.. don't worry they are all disappearing (unfortunately) for the few who can appreciate a plane looking elegant. Cheatlines serve 2 purposes: mask the windows making the plane look longer, sleeker, faster. They also act as an ornamental trim.. take a look at the trim and lines on the sheetmetal in luxury cars and youll see what im talking about. Nowadays most planes look like buses.

pilot kaz

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:13 am

hi guys,

i think AA needs 2 update there C/S heres 1 i think would fit in nice

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00000316.jpg

and i think easyjets is a bit boring, maby a bit of new colour would account for and and a few swervy lines,

also i h8 the TUI C/S on verious airlines, i think they should have there own custon C/S but display "part of TUI" on the aircraft sumwher, a little like the star aliince logo

regards p.kaz
-

speedbudgie

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:35 am

No specific airline, but I do think that many liveries are beginning to look somewhat dated because of the amount of color and depth that is showing up on newer liveries. Many of the older classic schemes used solid blocks of color, now we see gradients, shadows, shine etc. Delta's newest livery and South African are great examples of this. Continental, which is a great livery looks very one dimensional in comparison. Not that their livery doesn't look good, it just doesn't look as modern.

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:39 am

I'm really surprised that some of you think that US Airways needs a new livery. Their scheme is only a few years old and is very professional and classy, appealing to the business travellers that make up the bulk of their customers.

Airways6max: How can you possibly like the old USAir red on brown on red on brown scheme? That thing was hideous. Their 1990's livery on the other hand, was great!

My vote, by the way, is Iberia.

Brett

sprxflySWA

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:54 am

I do not think AA needs to change just because it looks "old hat."What dumb reason is that. It is functional and easy to recognize.
Any airline that has bright neon colors needs to be changed, like Lime Air,I mean SONG. Also,all of those countless European IT airline schemes.They all look like a palate gone berserk!
As far as WN not easily recognizable, I would expect that response from a non-North American.I have heard many a people see one of our planes from far away and say "there's one of those ______ Southwest planes" usually with the blank filled in with:ugly,baby crap,vomit colored,etc. At least now with the blue, they aren't as bad.
The reason they went with blue: Old color scheme was determined by which 3 m&m colors came out first that weren't the same. Yellow,red,and tan came out. To come up with new colors,they decided that since blue was new m&m color, it would be blue to replace tan. This is not true,of course,but makes a good story.

pixuk

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:56 am

Personally I love the Virgin Atlantic scheme:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner

But the Virgin Blue and Virgin Express, which obviously have been based on the same theme, just don't work for me. I think the reverse of the fuselage/tail colour gives the aircraft the wrong balance.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Norbert Genci
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabrice Sanchez

Perhaps they should have stuck with the same design, just changed the name.

Pix.

expressjetphx

Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:57 am

I like the new Delta livery, but I think billboard titles and a billboard wideget would make it look so much better.

NWA's new livery is only ok, but I find that it makes the engines look smaller, especially on the A330. This, in turn, makes the planes seem weaker. I think they should have stuck to the old.

WN has outdone themselves this time. I thought the old livery was bad and boring enough, but who would put 'Canyon Blue' (Horrible Purple) with mustard and brown on a plane? Attractive? NO!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos