FLAIRPORT

How Are Baggage Claims Assigned?

Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:37 am

The topic is the question.

Espically at like ATL for DL and FL where they have about 50 plus flights using the claim area at a time.

I know that the south terminal claim 1 is for ASA, but I have seen DL flights using it and ASA flights using others.

Also at airports like FLL. I've seen 3 flights on one carousel but none on the other. What is the reason for that?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

venuscat2

RE: How Are Baggage Claims Assigned?

Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:12 am

I don't know about ATL, but at FLL it's probably either:
1. They don't want to bother to start the other carousel.
2. That carousel is closest to the ticket counters.

PVD757

Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:23 am

each airline is assigned a (or a set of) carousel(s) to use depending on gate/baggage office/carousel location. Having said that, each carousel might be shared by a set of airlines, and are used on a first-come, first-served basis. At smaller airports, there may be only one or two carousels total, so all airlines might use it first-come, first-served.

FLAIRPORT

Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:18 am

let me clarify... at FLL, DL and Midwest share facilities... Midwest has 1 flight. There are 3 carousels and often times (espically at night), there are 2 or 3 flights that arrive.

AT ATL, DL has the entire south terminal which is 10 (I believe) carousels. And one of them is for skis and golf clubs only. (Ticketing and baggage claim are on the same level there)
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL