rthrbeflying86

Evergreen International At PHL

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:32 am

I was spotting from the parking garage today at PHL and saw an Evergreen International 747 classic (I'm not sure what exactly) depart the UPS ramp and depart. On my handheld I picked it up as "Evergreen 9611 heavy" (I may be off a bit on the callsign, but it did begin with "9") I'm not too frequent a spotter, but I didn't think that this was a usual occurrence. Being that it departed from the UPS ramp, which is all the way on the opposite side from "Cargo City", and that it had a 9- flight number, was this a charter for UPS? Or was it just an Evergreen Charter? Anyone know why it was in Philly?

On a side note, it took off like a rocket, using about the same length of runway as the USX ERJ that preceded it.
I'd rather be flying.

Spacepope

RE: Evergreen International At PHL

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:56 am

Noting what time of year it is, I would say that it would be a good guess that this was extra lift leased in for UPS during the mad rush to deliver packages before christmas. UPS's own 747 fleet has been dwindling as the oldest examples, and those with corrosion problems have been withdrawn.

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

MD11LuxuryLinr

Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:22 am

.."a good guess that this was extra lift leased in for UPS during the mad rush to deliver packages before christmas"....

That's exactly what it is. Every year around this time UPS is "helped" out with Evergreen's equipment because of the Xmas holiday. I was there last year on the Sunday before Xmas and saw 3 Evergreen 747s arrive. I love going to PHL to spot a few days before Xmas. Not only do you see the Evergreen 747s, you also get to see plenty of DC8s and such.

Big thumbs up
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

usairways85

Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:46 am

Yes, it was Evergreen operating for UPS. In fact Evergreen has been flying 4 747's in PHL for the past 2 weeks(weekdays only). Atlas Air has also been flying a 747 into PHL once daily for the past 2 weeks. UPS has also added an extra 20-30 daily flights into PHL.

Surprised you weren't hasseled up on the parking garage because of all the new security measures. I would have liked to go spot today but i still had school. And now tomorrow when i am off, of course its going to rain.

rthrbeflying86

Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:53 am

Thanks, thats what I figured. I saw two UPS 747's too...what great spotting the holidays make!
I'd rather be flying.