pilotntrng

Are DO-328's Really Profitable?

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:10 pm

Tonight was really heavy and due to weight restrictions, 32 passengers arrived here without their bags and that was just one flight. That's gonna be one heck of a delivery charge for their bags. I know this happens all the time here and Im sure it happens else where. Does the 328's versatility outweigh the cost of things like this?
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

FinnWings

RE: Are DO-328's Really Profitable?

Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:33 pm

You are right PilotNtrng the total cost for an airline of sending many bags afterwards as an "expedite baggage" is very expensive... Anyway if there has been 32 pax on DO-328 I'm quite sure the flight has been still profitable. The impact for airlines reputation is much bigger than the economical influence. It isn't just good customer service, if passengers doesn't receive his/her baggage at the destination.

Balance and weight restrictions are quite common for other turboprops too than DO-328s. I know DHC-8Q-400s are very sensitive, even on 1hr 30min flight it can often have weight restrictions. It is a big problem for Q400, because it has long fuselage and there is only one cargo compartment at the back... So heavy weight there is critical for the balance of a/c. One of the best turboprops are ATRs as they have cargo compartments front and aft of the aircraft, so good balance is easily achieved without need of unload any bags/cargo.

Merry Christmas,
FinnWings

azmd80

Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:39 pm

I think that Do 328 (Both version props and jet) isn't really profitable on normal route. Even for flight with 20 or less pax you need two pilot, a cabin crew, handling and parking fees (usually not proportional with the pax number).

This kind of planes are profitable only on route with state aid for connecting pourpouse or on business route where peope can pay more for a point to point services.

In italy there where Four airlines using Do 328: Gandalf, who is under bankaurpcy, Minerva , who has suspended all his flight in dicember, Federico II who has suspended his flight last year and Air Valee, a little niche airlines still flying.

Thomas_Jaeger

Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:57 am

From what I know the operating costs of the Do328 are just about the same as for a Dash 8-300 or ATR 42-500 for example. But there are 18 seats less on the Do328 which is however flying faster. I think this plane can only be used for business routes where people are willing to pay significantly more to be on a Do328.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

azmd80

Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:57 pm

But in this days is more and more difficoult finding this route.
Gandalf was estabilished in a really rich area, (Brescia an Bergamo), but it has not success.