nm19371

Nonstops From BOS-Asia?

Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:31 am

I know that Korean Air had one a few years back but they pulled out of BOS. But what about BOS-NRT or BOS-SIN? With all the high-tech companies in Boston, I'd think that there would be a demand for these flights.

N670UW

RE: Nonstops From BOS-Asia?

Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:50 am

Yes, I've always wondered why such a large market like BOS doesn't have a nonstop to Asia. Maybe NW will consider it once the 332's arrive.

QantasA332

Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:09 am

http://www.massport.com/logan/airli.html

Judging by that, there are no non-stop BOS-Asia, at least with asian carriers -- I couldn't be bothered to go to each U.S. airline's website to see if they do...  Smile

qantasA332

MAH4546

Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:28 am

American Airlines announced BOS-NRT in 1999, but canceled it, along with a plethora of other routes (ORD-SVO, ORD-AMS, MIA-ASU (instead of MIA-GRU-ASU), JFK-NRT, and JFK-FRA) in 1999.
a.

LH423

Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:27 pm

Like MAH4546 said, AA announced a nonstop to AA), Japan">NRT using MD-11s. The flight was entered into the computer systems and I believe tickets were sold. However, about 6 weeks before the flights were scheduled to begin the Japanese government took away the slots AA had planned to use on BOS and JFK-AA), Japan">NRT.

They do still have the rights to the route but have not gotten the slots since or have utilized them for other flights, like LAX (as if LA needs another Tokyo flight). Nonetheless, I do feel that BOS's days without an Asian flight are numbered. I'm sure once the economy picks up again we'll see something either from a US carrier or JAL or ANA.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

capt078

Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:40 am

the korean air flight from boston made one stop enroute to korea, and vice versa

LH423

Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:30 am

Actually, the KE flight flew nonstop from SEL to BOS, then made a stop in IAD before continuing onto SEL. When the flight originally started for the first year or so, however, it did fly SEL-JFK-BOS-JFK-SEL but for the rest of the time 3 or so years the route operated it did arrive nonstop from Seoul.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

nm19371

Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:25 pm

When did KE drop this flight? I assume they did so because they were losing money on it - perhaps after 9/11. Also, I remember that ANA was talking about a NRT-BOS flight in the early 90s but I guess it never happened. Maybe the airlines figure that there are enough non-stops from EWR JFK and ORD with frequent connections to BOS and there wouldn't be enough demand to justify a nonstop flight. Im suprised that KE had one - I always thought there'd be one to NRT or even HKG. Anyway - I think that most pax flying to asia from BOS would be business customers who would prefer a non-stop flight- changing planes is exhausting and inconvenient- so maybe we'll see it after all -hopefully soon.

chrisnh

Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:17 pm

People talk about passengers, when in fact what drew KE to Boston was the freight/cargo. Many times, that is the catalyst for starting a route no one else is serving. The passenger traffic would be there on a BOS-NRT nonstop, to be sure...but perhaps not 7x per week. If I were a carrier starting BOS-NRT, I'd try 3x or 4x per week and see what happens.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos