cha747

History Of The Canarsie Approach

Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:47 pm

Who coined this approach the Canarsie Approach? Why not the Ozone Park approach, the BQA (Brooklyn-Queens Approach) or the Belt Parkway approach? I've been trying to do different internet searches on this but to no avail. Does anyone know the history of the naming of this now (in)famous approach? Thanks.

[Edited 2003-12-28 06:52:03]
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

rjpieces

Topic: History Of The Canarsie Approach

Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:06 pm

I wouldn't call it an infamous approach (even though I wish it was  Smile )

My guess is because Canarsie is a pretty well known neighborhood and when landing many a times the pilot will say :we are over Canarsie" etc....Maybe because the plane goes on final approach when it is over Canarsie???? Just guesses, I don't think there is one answer.

Take care.

P.S. I live right near Canarsie  Smile
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

CV990A

RE: History Of The Canarsie Approach

Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:51 am

I had thought it was the Canarsie Approach because one of the waypoints on the approach was the Canarsie Nav Beacon...
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

AA717driver

AA CFO Resignation...

Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:44 am

No matter how much you may enjoy flying the Canarsie, it is infamous. There isn't an international pilot out there that hasn't at least heard of the approach(alright, maybe some of the Qantas guys and Asian airline pilots haven't, but I doubt it.).

Done right, it gives great satisfaction. Done poorly, well, join the club. Big grin It's certainly caused a lot of heartburn to the PanAm and TWA student 747 Capts. returning from ATH. After 10 hours of getting your balls busted by the instructor, NOW they won't even let you off the hook with an ILS 22L! It's that damned Canarsie... Big grin TC
FL450, M.85