SInGAPORE_AIR

BKK (Don Muang) Could Be Saved From Closure

Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:19 pm

Don Muang wins reprieve from closure
By William Barnes in Bangkok
Financial Times; Dec 29, 2003

Bangkok's international airport at Don Muang, which was due to be closed when the city's new Suvarnabhumi airport opens in 2005, has won a reprieve thanks to the rise of low cost airlines in south-east Asia.

The decision comes despite groups such as the International Air Transport Association advising Thai authorities against retaining a second airport, arguing that experience showed twin hubs led to increased costs, confusion and inefficiencies.

The government had agreed with the need to focus on one airport - prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra even suggested the Thai parliament could be shifted to the empty terminal buildings at Don Muang.

However, a U-turn in official thinking has been prompted in recent months by a sudden surge of interest from new-model airlines.

Continued and more at the Financial Times website
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

swissgabe

RE: BKK (Don Muang) Could Be Saved From Closure

Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:02 pm

Well, if they look for a reason to keep Don Muang open they might find a lot.

But just because of LCC keeping Don Muang open doens't make a sense.

Two examples would be:

Seoul
I guess GMP was only kept open because it is not that far from Downtown than ICN.

Kuala Lumpur
All jet ops ex KUL and SZB only has some prop (Berjaya) operations. I guess it was mainly kept open because it is a military airport as well.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

767-322ETOPS

Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:38 pm

I hope they can link the new airport to the Skytrain.

col

Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:33 am

Bangkok definitely needs to have all its carriers at one airport. If you had to transfer, transit time would be three to twenty fours hours depending on rain/traffic. Some sort of transport system Skytrain or ground based is a must, but I did not see anything being constructed near the Bang Na Trad in October?

swissgabe

Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:54 am

Col
I don't think that LCC should set priorities to connection flights of other carriers. As you might know, they mainly operate to points with low costs. If Don Muang would be cheaper than Suvarnabhumi, they already got a reason.

And as I mentioned before, Seoul has two airports and I have the feeling that the concept of having most domestic flights from one airport and all others from another airport is working. As far as I know, Malaysia Airlines would have preferred to fly into/out of SZB beside KUL, but I'm not sure on this.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

elephantboy

Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:48 am

Col

There is a express train project that links Suvarnabhumi Airport with downtown Bangkok. It is on the Bangkok-Cholburi Motorway side because the terminal is close to the motorway than to Bangna-Trad road. However, it seems that the project will be in operation a few years after the opening of the airport.