Pe@rson
Topic Author

Australian And New Zealand Pilots In UK

Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:43 am

I seem to be flying weekly these days. Indeed, I've just returned from BRS-GLA-MAN, aboard U2 and BD. Interestingly, the captains of both flights were from Australia or New Zealand. What's most surprising is that the captain of my LPL-BFS flight on the 16/12 was also an Australian or a New Zealander! Is there any particular reason for this apparent influx of pilots from these countries?

When I flew BRS-Santorini-BRS in July this year, both the captain and FO were from Australia or NZ - in both directions! However, my investigation showed that they were previously flying for Ansett Aust. prior to its demise.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VirginFlyer

RE: Australian And New Zealand Pilots In UK

Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:58 am

Traditional arrangements make it relatively easy for New Zealanders and Australians to be able to work in the UK. With the 2001 collapse of Ansett here in Australia, as well as that of Qantas New Zealand over the Tasman some 5 months earlier, there were a lot of pilots left without jobs. Luckily for them, the level of training in this part of the world is held in high regard. Hence, you see Australians and New Zealanders flying in some unexpected places.

If you are looking for a way to differentiate between Australians and New Zealanders, by way of accent, there are some obvious (though not entirely foolproof) ways. Perhaps the most obvious is the pronunciation of the letter 'i'. "Six packets of fish and chips" would be said like "Sux packets of fush and chups" in NZ, while more like "Seex packets of feesh and cheeps" in Australia. Both those are exaggerations, but I hope you get the idea.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Ryanair737

Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:07 am

When I flew with Astraeus in August we had a Australian captain on the outbound leg.

Ryanair737
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

Rick767

Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:21 am

There are more Kiwis and Aussies than there are of us!

Especially in easy and bmi Regional (a bunch of those were ex-Business Air/British Midland Commuter SF340 pilots sourced from NZ, many of whom stayed and are now on the ERJ).
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:11 pm

"There are more Kiwis and Aussies than there are of us!"

That's what I thought!  Wink/being sarcastic

Cheers for your replies, folks.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

777ER
Crew

Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:45 pm

I read in an Aviation Magazine that Airlines around the World have high respect for New Zealand and Australian Pilots due to their high level training!
Maybe this is why there are lots of Kiwis and Aussies flying in the UK? I have noticed that on http://www.airdisaster.com/ that airlines based in New Zealand and Australia have less accidents.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

trident3

Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:50 pm

New Zealand- Land of the strangulated vowel! Wink/being sarcastic
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.