Chi-town
Topic Author

Extremely Confused About The Delta System! Help!

Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:29 am

Ok, I am extremely confused w/ the Delta system. Can someone please provide an explanation and sort out some things for me? Ok, I know there is Delta Airlines but, why do they have so many branch airlines? I was searching pictures in the database and I get so confused w/ Delta Connection, Delta Express, Delta Shuttle, Chautauqua, Comair, ACA, ASA. I mean, there are like 3 different paint schemes for each of these airlines! I am EXTREMELY confused with the entire Delta System! Are these airlines (ACA, ASA, Comair...) serperate airlines or owned by Delta Airlines or what?? Does Delta Airlines fly from a city to a hub (CVG, ATL, SLC) and then you hop on one of the other airlines to your destination? PLEASE! Someone, explain the whole Delta operations for me. I have heard great things about Delta and would love to fly them sometime. I'm just completely confused.

wedgetail737

RE: Extremely Confused About The Delta System! Help!

Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:37 am

Delta has quite an operation with their mainline, Song (their LCC), Delta Connection and Delta Shuttle. It's enough to make your head spin. I believe Delta's main hubs are at SLC, DFW, ATL, CVG, MCO, BOS and JFK. ATL being their largest hub. Delta has a subsidiary called Delta Connection which owns ASA and Comair. The other regional carriers are contractors.

The paint scheme with the all-white fuselage and three "stripes" on the tail is their newest paint scheme. The Delta "Widget" is the oldest and are being phased out as their planes go in for heavy maintenance. They had an in-between scheme also, until their management changed.

Times are a changing here in the U.S. Airlines will only get more complex through time...not simpler. Even some of the LCC's are getting more complex.

Good luck. Maybe someone here will have more insight on DAL than me.

N670UW

Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:01 am

Delta (mainline) - operates 737's, 757's, 767's, 777's, MD-80's, and MD-90's

Delta Connection - regional subsidiary. There are five Delta Connection carriers:
- Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) - wholly-owned by Delta Air Lines, Inc., and flies CRJ's and ATR-72's. Most flying is out of ATL and DFW.
- Comair - wholly-owned by Delta Air Lines, Inc., and flies CRJ's primarily out of CVG.
- Atlantic Coast Airlines (ACA) - under contract with Delta, flies Dornier 328JET's primarily out of BOS and CVG.
- SkyWest - also under contract with Delta, flying CRJ's and EMB-120 Brasilia's. Most flying is out of SLC, and somewhat DFW.
- Chautauqua - under contract with Delta, flying ERJ-135's and ERJ-145's. Flies various places, including out of DFW, various destinations from CMH, and intra-Florida flying.

Song - Delta's low-cost carrier, primarily intended to compete with jetBlue. Flies one-class 757's mostly on Northeast-Florida routes, along with others.

Delta Express - Delta's now-dismantled low-cost carrier. Delta Express no longer flies, but used to fly between Florida and various Midwest and Northeast U.S. cities using one-class 737-200's.

Delta Shuttle - Business-geared shuttle (hourly) service using one-class 737-300's between BOS and LGA and between LGA and DCA.

Hope that clears it up a little.

[Edited 2003-12-31 01:04:42]

xjramper

Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:24 am

I thought they dumped their ATRs. I fly through ATL probably 15 times a year(mainly a NW flyer) and i havent seen one ATR. Must have just missed them, maybe? Either way:
Happy New Year and God Bless America,
XJR
Look ma' no hands!

jhooper

Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:34 am

I thought they dumped their ATRs

I see them all the time in ATL; as recently as two weeks ago.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

gabep

Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:42 am

N670UW,

You could include the MD-11 in the Delta mainline category, for a few more hours at least.

Love those 11's.