flynavy

UA MCO Hub?

Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:19 pm

From what I have read here, there has been mention of UA apparantely having a hub at MCO in the 1990's. I was just curious, and looking for info./details about their past op.'s at my home airport. Did they have crew based there? What routes did they fly and with what a/c?

Thanks,
Chris in VA Beach
Change is: one airline, six continents!

GroundStop

RE: UA MCO Hub?

Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:26 pm

I do remember ACA having a small J32 base in MCO during the 90's. They flew to several FL cities including RSW and PBI.

JP

Cody

Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:24 pm

I cannot tell you if they had a crew base there, although I THINK maybe they had a small FA base in MCO. It was a hub though for sure. It connected places like BOS, Hartford, LGA, EWR, DCA, IAD, and SFO to all of the large Florida cities. Surprisingly, the hub consisted of mainly 757's. I distinctly remember 757's flying from MCO all the was to TPA and MIA. To me, it did not make much sense when they had IAD up North doing the same thing. Regardless of what I think, the MCO hub did not last long.

flynavy

Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:58 pm

Shame, considering now there really isn't any airline hubbed at MCO. Orlando's probably too close to ATL and MIA to stand a chance against them.

dutchjet

Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:53 pm

The UA hub operation (lets say focus city, more appropriate) really never took off at MCO......I think that the plan was to route most Florida-bound pax via MCO and then on to their final destination. The plan was quickly dropped for a number of reasons - firstly, Florida bound passengers have a huge choice of direct services from/to many cities, and, secondly, the Star ALliance was begininning to form around this time and the founding Star Members probably found MIA a more attractive hub city......Star has (had?) big plans for MIA and hoped to take on AA's huge operation there.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:49 am

Star has (had?) big plans for MIA and hoped to take on AA's huge operation there.

They still have those big plans and the new terminal is about 40% complete. However, they have not been showing much growth lately at MIA, with the exception of LH's MIA-MUC flights.
a.

flynavy

Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:45 am

Is LH looking at beginning service to MCO, also? LTU serves MCO now, I think daily w/ an A330.

toltommy

Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:23 am

DL's original plan was for MCO to be their gateway into Latin America. I remember reading in the ATL Journal how mad then-mayor Maynard Jackson was over DL's decision. But then Ron Allen unleashed 7.5 and the MCO gateway became the base for DL Express.

dutchjet

Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:12 am

Dont look for LH to open service into MCO anytime soon......the yields are not right, there is not enough full fare/business class traffic, and the German charter carriers have the destination covered. Most of the traffic would be inbound, to Orlando, and a high percentage of German/European tourists purchase package holidays that include the charter flight......also, most of he charter flights can be purchased on a seat-only basis through a travel agent.

Concerning the DL - MCO Latin American connection, I even remember DL announcing the flights in their timetable, I think it was 757 service from MCO to Mexico City, Guatemala City and San Jose, to begin.....the service was then cut and a few months later DL's latin american expansion out of ATL began.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:03 am

Is LH looking at beginning service to MCO, also? LTU serves MCO now, I think daily w/ an A330.

No, no plans. Yield is too low, though they considered it. LTU only serves MCO once a week from Dusseldorf. The market between Orlando and Europe is limited outside of the UK. In Florida, Europeans go to the Miami area. Germans also love the Ft. Myers area. Orlando is not a big European tourist destination outside of Britain and Ireland.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos