jetbluefan1

JetBlue Not Selling Well BOS-DEN

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:01 am

I was recently looking at prices from BOS-DEN and visa versa with B6. I know that the launching of the flight is still one week away, but it looks likes seats aren't being sold. The regular fares will start at $115 online, but there's a sale at $99 one-way online. However, the fares that I checked for some January flights show the BOS-DEN leg at only $79. I know they did the same thing with ATL as far as pricing.

I don't understand this BOS-DEN route. It looks like UA only serves the route twice a day (according to their website). Frontier pulled out of the route. So there's only 2 daily flights, then 3 when B6 comes in? Isn't that kind of ridiculous for two very large cities?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

JetBluefan1

diatraveler

RE: JetBlue Not Selling Well BOS-DEN

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:22 am

Don't know about the B6 loads on BOS-DEN; the lousy flight times probably have something to do with it. UA has five daily non-stops on the DEN-BOS route.

Regards

ORDagent

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:29 am

The loads may still be low as awareness by the public may not yet be out there. It always seams that B6 is always routing the flights at odd times until demand warrants more frequencies.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:31 am

"five daily non-stops"

Weird. I was looking at united.com and found only 2 non-stops. All the others went through Chicago or Dulles. They seemed to have lowered their prices on only one of the non-stops. One is $265 rt and the other is $492 rt.

JetBluefan1

Jetmarc

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:34 am

The fares are on sale right now, if you purchase a flight by a certain date, regardless of actual travel date, you'll get a great deal. I know only a certain amount of seats are sold at $79, as they disappear, seats are then sold at a different level. Also, dont forget Jan, Feb, Mar, tend to be slow travel months for most airlines... Maybe we're full, but just selling cheap tickets... does higher ticket prices necessarily reflect full loads??
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:40 am

"does higher ticket prices necessarily reflect full loads??"

Yes it does. For example, a walk-up fare from JFK-FLL can be $69 on one flight, and another may be $244 walk-up fare. Obviously, the $69 flight sold less seats than the $244 flight which is almost sold out.

JetBluefan1

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:44 am

Weird. I was looking at united.com and found only 2 non-stops.

Well, it sure looks like 5 daily nonstops to me:

31DEC WED DEN/MST BOS/EST¥2¶
1UA 744 F Y B M H Q V DENBOS 8 850A 232P 757 B/F 0 /E¶
W A S T K L G ¶
2UA 330 F Y B M H Q V DENBOS 9 1005A 350P 319 L/F 0 /E¶
W A S T K L G ¶
3UA1216 F Y B M H Q V DENBOS 8 1225P 615P 320 L/F 0 /E¶
W A S T K L G ¶
4UA 354 F Y B M H Q V DENBOS 8 350P 930P 757 L/F 0 /E¶
W A S T K L G ¶
5UA 726 F Y B M H Q V DENBOS 7 620P 1157P 757 D/F 0 /E¶
W A S T K L G ¶

Granted, that's for today. Perhaps their spring schedule is a bit different? What dates were you checking?

RB
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DIA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:59 am

I found six UA nonstops in June, 2004:

6:20 pm Depart Denver (DEN)
Arrive Boston (BOS) 12:03 am +1 day Tue 8-Jun
Duration: 3hr 43mn United Airlines 726
Nonstop flight

8:40 am Depart Denver (DEN)
Arrive Boston (BOS) 2:29 pm Tue 8-Jun
Duration: 3hr 49mn United Airlines 744
Nonstop flight

10:05 am Depart Denver (DEN)
Arrive Boston (BOS) 3:50 pm Tue 8-Jun
Duration: 3hr 45mn United Airlines 584
Nonstop flight

10:20 am Depart Denver (DEN)
Arrive Boston (BOS) 4:10 pm Tue 8-Jun
Duration: 3hr 50mn United Airlines 348
Nonstop flight

12:45 pm Depart Denver (DEN)
Arrive Boston (BOS) 6:35 pm Tue 8-Jun
Duration: 3hr 50mn United Airlines 1216
Nonstop flight

3:50 pm Depart Denver (DEN)
Arrive Boston (BOS) 9:35 pm Tue 8-Jun
Duration: 3hr 45mn United Airlines 354
Nonstop flight

Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

vafi88

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:07 am

JetBlue flies in here from Boston???

I was looking on the tracker and it said New York...

go figure...
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:12 am

Oh okay now I see. I was sorting the flights by price, and there was only one non-stop for $256. Then there were all these connection flights, then at the end of the page there were more non-stops for around $500.

If United is going to try to keep its PAX on this route, then don't they need to lower their prices quite a bit more?

JetBluefan1

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:29 am

If United is going to try to keep its PAX on this route, then don't they need to lower their prices quite a bit more?

They may have to, or at least offer the lower prices on the nonstop service instead of on connecting ones only if they're going to compete with jetBlue.

Odds are they'll only match jetBlue's price on a nonstop at the time that most closely mirrors the B6 nonstop.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SunValley

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:37 am

It doesn't surprise me. B6 will probably drop it in due time (kind of like they did at ATL) Back when Frontier was serving the route, I did some analysis on the effect it had for UA. Believe me it is a very high Business Fare Yield Market, with very very entranched Mileage Plus fliers, and I look for UA to up the anty & offer triple or quadruple miles, add more flights on the run that pass thru DEN and onto other destinations (making even more nonstops) in other words, dilute the market so B6 doens't stand a chance.

luv2fly

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:44 am

SunValley

Far an Airline market research analyst, can you say BIASED!
You can cut the irony with a knife

SunValley

Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:09 am

Yes LUV, I get paid to report & do analysis on what the records show.

[Edited 2003-12-31 18:10:37]

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:24 am

"B6 will probably drop it in due time (kind of like they did at ATL)"

I understand your guess, but I don't agree. I think B6 will keep the route even if it isn't too profitable. This is because JetBlue doesn't have an actual limit to slots at Boston. Also, when those EMB-190's come, JetBlue may launch service from Boston to ROC, BUF and SYR. Therefore, connections can be made to Denver from those markets. BUF is practically big enough to have its own non-stop to DEN anyway.

Another reason I don't think JetBlue will drop the route is because it can easily compete with United. For example, United's most recent sale said $170 one-way from Dulles to LAX. That was a SALE fare. JetBlue offers that route (to LGB) for $134 one-way - non-sale. It doesn't look like United will be able to keep their fares so low to compete with JetBlue. They're doing very poorly financially giving JetBlue a great chance at stomping them to the ground.

It also looks as if JetBlue's walk-ups to Denver will be quite lower that UA's.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the service actually starts, of course  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

JetBluefan1

SunValley

Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:47 am

Time will tell of course, but F9's low fares lost them $$ on the route. Which resulted in their shutting it down. (a 22% load factor was the reason)
As my earlier post indicated, these city pairs are not at all a low fare price driven route.

[Edited 2003-12-31 19:00:31]

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:58 am

I think B6 will keep the route even if it isn't too profitable. This is because JetBlue doesn't have an actual limit to slots at Boston.

There weren't slot limits on ATL either...but that didn't stop B6 from backpedaling like the French Army.

mariner

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:01 am

SunValley:

I think what you say is true but not quite accurate - or accurate but not quite true.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Frontier did very well out of Boston until the double whammy. The original 1 x daily did so well they increased it to 2 x daily.

I flew BOS/DEN/LAX many times, and I can't remember a time when the plane wasn't full. Frontier even started employing their own over-wing staff, instead of using Midwest.

The last time I flew out of Boston was in Spring 2001 - I had just relocated to Northern California - and again, the flight was full. At that time, there was talk of a possible third daily.

Then the double whammy hit - I can't remember the order. When Terminal A was closed Frontier had to pay through the nose for gate space, and there was 9/11.

It was after 9/11 that the loads took a nose dive, and that, coupled with the increased ground handling costs, killed the service.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

SunValley

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:02 am

Come BlueFan, Buf-Den, I've got the boarding records for the last 12 months. It is NOT a market that can even come close to running a daily
A320.

gigneil

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:02 am

JetBlue flies in here from Boston??

Not yet they don't.

They'll offer both BOS and JFK.

N

ual747den

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:04 am

As SunValley said, price is not a factor on this route. It is mostly business travelers that expect miles and service. DEN fliers love F9 and if they couldn't do it I really cant see B6 making it work...
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Critter_592

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:15 am

Great discussion people.

SunValley

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:22 am

Mariner, I appreciate what you say, but I also have the Boarding records for that route each month prior to 9-11 and each month after 9-11, for both UA and F9, as well as some thru service AA had (via ORD), and other airlines boardings where the destination was DEN, but connecting thru another city such as CLT & CVG etc. etc. The come no where to even hitting break even points on an average. (The F9 service had a great non-rev load factor)

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:29 am

"There weren't slot limits on ATL either"

I know but there were (and still are) slot limits in LGB.

As far as the BUF-DEN, Buffalo couldn't serve the market alone. Rochester would also help - people drive all the time from Rochester to catch a flight out of BUF - especially with WN. Someone would rather drive an hour to Buffalo to get a non-stop to DEN instead of taking a connection in PHL or PIT.

JetBluefan1

mariner

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:37 am

SunValley:

Well, if you say you have boarding records, I can't argue with you. Except that I am deeply confused.

If you claim that the pre 9/11 l/f was 22% then I am even more confused.

More importantly, and much more seriously (and illegally), I'm not sure why they would lie to their shareholders at an AGM.

cheers

mariner

aeternum nauta

SunValley

Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:17 am

Mariner, I did not say pre 9-11 boarding records indicate a 22% load factor.
As your post indicated they had reasonable loads when they had 1 flight in the market. Reasonable but not fantastic & their low fare yield provided an even worse scenario when both airport fees & costs were factored in, additonally the cost of connecting a pax from a high cost end airport thru a high cost hub added to the bottom line of why BOS was eventually dropped. IN the end (90 days prior to ending service) F9 was pulling somewhere near a 22% load factor, which was post 9-11. They would have been further ahead to have re-accomodated those pax with some other method, than
operating their flights.

mariner

Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:30 am

SunValley:

I appreciate your clarification, and I agree with your eventual, post 9/11 figures.

For the record, though, the fares (at least the ones that I was paying, altho' I wasn't actually the one paying them) were not all that low.

On at least two occasions I paid around $800 for the transcons, and I never paid less than $650. To be fair, because of the nature of my business, these were usually booked less than seven days in advance.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

chrisnh

Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:03 am

JetBlue--up till now a Wall Street darling--will do themselves some harm if they discontinue routes and/or cities (a la ATL). There are already whisperings that JetBlue will become a PeopleExpress of the 21st century...growing beyond their means and dying a painful death. If BOS-DEN turns into a dud, optimists will just say JetBlue will redeploy their assets elsewhere. That's all well and good, but how many mis-steps can this carrier absorb before people wonder how long a route will be in existence? In other words, who would feel safe booking a flight far in advance if you're not even sure the route will survive? I for one hope JetBlue makes it in Boston...but they have Song to contend with in some markets.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:10 am

If BOS-DEN turns into a dud, optimists will just say JetBlue will redeploy their assets elsewhere.

That's what airlines do. American Airlines has launched about 10-15 routes in the past two years that never lasted, some didn't even start (those with *):

JFK-OAK, JFK-ONT*, RDU-HPN, RDU-SJU, SDQ-SXM, RDU-SJC*, DFW-BOI, ORD-BVT, LAX-ABQ, LAX-SMF*

Let's not forget Air Canada's list of routes, just a handful of examples since summer 2001:
YYZ-GSO, YYZ-AZO, YYZ-GSP*, YYZ-ORF, YYZ-JAX, YUL-FCO, YYZ-MAD, MCO-YXU, YUL-MEX*

It happens. You learn from your mistakes.
a.

dutchjet

Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:14 am

Lets get back to reality......its entirely unclear how JetBlue will do in the BOS-DEN market, this enitre thread is based on some low fares being available from a website on that particaular route on certain dates, and now the conclusion is that JetBlue is becoming the PeopleExpress of the 21st century?

BOS-DEN may be a hard market for JetBlue to get into, time will tell, but there is a good chance that they will be successful as only UA offers competition.....regardless of how dedicated UA's frequent flyers are, low fares and good service will be hard for the pax travelling between BOS and DEN to ignore. And, if BOS-Denver is a flop, so what? JetBlue will find other opportunities out of BOS or another city.

JetBlue's departure from ATL was also not big deal........DL and AirTran are going against eachother big time in the ATL-West Coast markets and JetBlue rightly got out of the battle, too much effort would be required to go against the 2 home-town hub airlines. JetBLue has a limited number of airliners and limited slots as LGB and the resources could be better used elsewhere.

UN_B732

Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:50 am

Sorry for a thread hijack,
Anyone know what kind of loads AA pulled on ORD-BTV?
-UN
What now?

FA4UA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:48 am

One thing is for sure, you can count on UA defending DEN from B6. We're starting to change gears to the offense and we're over the LCC's. B6 better be careful because UA do everything at their disposal to protect that market!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

NWAFA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:45 pm

Hi FA4UA

I think your right..UA is like us at NWA, when a small one tries to come in, they usually loose!

By the way NWA is starting two daily LAX-DEN-LAX in a couple of months..thats all because Frontier is adding two LAX-MSP flights.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

jettblasterp

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:53 pm

Mariner, F9 getting their own staff at their counter was not a sign they were doing well. The YX agents just didn't want to deal with handling the F9 counter. Not that it was a bad thing, it was just because they didn't feel they were able to give their full attention to the YX pax. The adding of their own agents ended up costing them more. YX continued to handle their ramp until the same situation occured. YX didn't want their ramp anymore either, causing them to go to CO, costing them MORE money. Then YX moved to terminal C, which forced F9 to find a new ground handler (as CO moved to C with YX and F9 was using YX gates, but no room in C for F9) which they were left with no choice but to use USAir. USAir knew this and were not nice to them in pricing. All this added up to huge cost gains over the years. They had decent loads over the years, but fares went down, pax went away and costs were out of control.
B6 will not have this problem. They have their own staff, in and out. They have their own gates. They are not dependant on other airlines. All that should keep their costs down. The plane would have been a RON in BOS anyway, so it isn't like the plane would have been doing anything better. I think it may work very well for B6.

FA4UA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:54 pm

Yeah I saw that, NWAFA, on the news. NW better watch out cuz UA is all about keeping DEN a fortress hub. We're sick of F9 and launching Ted to combat them first in DEN.

It's just gang-warfare only with airplanes and no guns. Everyone knows to stay clear of MSP cuz that's NW's home, but for some reason there's all this recent buzz on DEN lately. We're tired of retreating and the competition better look out!

This is why i love this business, always drama to talk about!

FA4UA

mariner

Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:58 pm

NWAFA:

Trouble is, the NWA move might hurt UAL more than Frontier.

Frontier doesn't have First Class. So if NWA starts stealing UAL's premium pax, I think things might get interesting.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

FA4UA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:15 pm

But where can you get from DEN on NW's network? not too many places compared with the enormous reach UA has there!

I could see NW pulling out of DEN-LAX soon... only time will tell

FA4UA

(I admit that I'm totally and unabashedly biased! Big grin)

NWAFA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:23 pm

Oh I hear ya...its a "point to point" for NWA. UA and F9 have the most flights flying that..however the LAX-DEN market is growing so much that NWA can see that.

I have to give NWA credit, they truly only enter markets where money can and will be made. Our planning people truly know there stuff. Prime example is the Pacific..we truly have TOTALLY taken over that market (even though we have always had the most US presence there to begin with)..when 9/11 hit and SARS hit, we started flying A320's there and PACKED them in, when I hate to say this, UA was still flying EMPTY 777's and -400's. We have now upgraded to the 757's in some Asia flying and packing them in still. My sister who flys for UAL says that many of the Asia flying she does (and its a lot) the 777's and -400 are EMPTY.

So if we enter markets, one thing I have learned in my 13+ years with NWA, we stay and make money in it.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

mariner

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:38 pm

NWAFA:

"So if we enter markets....we stay and make money in it."

Stay? Sure Make money? Maybe - eventually. Maybe. NWA added routes from MKE either to thwart Midwest or Airtran. Or both.

Here is a comparison (not mine) between Northwest (NW) and Midwest (YX) out of MKE - government stats:

http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=7083055&tid=meh&sid=7083055&mid=14836

MKE to LAX and LAS are okay for NWA, but the rest are awful.

NWA's LAX/DEN isn't to make money - it's to slap Frontier upside the head. Sadly, they may be slapping UAL upside the head, too.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:39 pm

I'll make that link easier for you.

Try it again:

http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=7083055&tid=meh&sid=7083055&mid=14836

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

F9Fan

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:32 pm

I remember when F9 announced the new service from MSP to LAX, NW immediately scheduled two flights at the identical times on the MSP to LAX routes. As previously discussed, NW also added two DEN to LAX flights. F9 also added flights between from LAX to STL and LAX to MCI on that day, along with service from DEN to IAD, seasonal DEN to ANC service, and replacing the DEN to ELP via ABQ to nonstop DEN to ELP service. I remember hearing that AA decided to add a couple LAX to STL flights. I don't think anyone decided to add extra flights on the LAX to MCI route.

There was talk over the summer of F9 adding MCI, STL, or even PIT (which F9 doesn't serve at this time) as a new hub if they couldn't get extra gates at DEN. At the same time, UA was negotiating its lease with the City of Denver. At one point, the negotiations got so heated that Denver mayor Wellington Webb, in his final week in office, publicly ripped up a letter from UA. Eventually, the new mayor, John Hickenlooper, was able to reach a deal between UA, F9 and the city where everyone pretty much got what they wanted. UA got more regional jet space, and F9 got more gates, including UA agreeing to cede a couple extra gates. I've heard that F9 wants to return to the DEN to BOS route, but they haven't announced anything yet.

At any rate, with UA launching Ted, and DL launching Song, it seems that the major airlines are taking an "if you can't beat them, join them" approach to competing with the discount carriers. The major airlines previous method of attacking the discounters was to flood the markets the discounters were serving with cheap flights until the discounter went away. With the airlines hemorrhaging money the past three years, they aren't able to do this as readily as they used to. B6 Southwest (WN?), and AirTran (I don't know their code) continues to be extremely profitable while UA and US are or were just under bankruptcy protection, AA and DL teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, and NW and CO barely able to hold on. F9 has also been profitable over their last two quarters, and they've increased their market share in DEN from 11% to 15% over the past year. I do think the majors will hold on, but they will become more internationally focused on the more lucrative (and protected) international routes, while the discount carriers handle the domestic and short-range (North America and the Caribbean) international market.

F9Fan

MAH4546

Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:08 am

I remember hearing that AA decided to add a couple LAX to STL flights.

They did not add extra STL-LAX fights as a result. On 15 December 2003, before the F9 announcement, AA did increase STL-LAX flights to 4 daily. After F9's announcement, they released a PR re-stating this fact, making it sound like a new flight. AA is all about doing this now a days.
a.

PVD757

Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:24 am

With B6 not having any other presence in BOS yet, these flights unfortunately have to develop. They do not have the rep that WN has yet, so they cannot just wade into the market and "part the seas". There will still be airlines to fight them and try to keep them from getting established. Who was the last casualty that successfully stood up to WN like that and won?

jetbluefan1

Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:32 am

"Who was the last casualty that successfully stood up to WN like that and won?"

It seems America West is doing fine for an LCC as its two hubs are also major hubs for WN.

JetBluefan1

PVD757

Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:37 am

Again, the question was who has won, not who has survived.

jetbluefan1

Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:44 am

"Again, the question was who has won, not who has survived."

It's a win-win situation. Both America West and WN are profitable airlines.

JetBluefan1