sturdy

Worst Airline('s) In-flight Service

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:33 am

What airline you think is worst in in-flight services.

Sabena332

RE: Worst Airline('s) In-flight Service

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:35 am

Maybe Banana Air  Big thumbs up:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Erik Frikke

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

united4ever

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:36 am

This is hard to answer as customers have different expectations of different types of airlines. For example, easyJet or SouthWest on board service is fine for their total offer, but how would you feel if you flew with Singapore or Emirates (or even American) and got this kind of service?

Mike

sturdy

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:46 am

Actually I am talking about food and flight attendants. For believe it or not, some airlines are bad when it comes to food and the flight attendants are the epitome of rudeness.  Sad

AF022

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:04 am

i flew armenian airlines AMSEVN a few years back, in business no less. there were no paper towels in the lavs, only a communal town, probably swimming with disease.
also took EVNDXB on an old Tupolev on armenian as well. 1 flight attendant for the fifty or so passengers. poor thing - couldn't control the crowd.
for carriers people are likely to fly, most US FA's have the personality of diner waitresses, but I like the service on AF and SK.

babybus

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:46 am

I might be a bit old fashioned here but I don't like airlines that serve food to pasengers in bags or cartons,even if it does come with a smile.

Fortunately the airline with the worst in-flight service I ever experienced went bust in the 1980's, that was a UK charter airline called British Island Airways. I worked with them and I flew with them and they were awful!

I'm a great fan of Air France. The food is great and I love the staff. First choice every time.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

ArmitageShanks

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:51 am

Out of the 10 airlines I have flown on NWA was the worst. Although they weren't bad at all it was the 'worst' service IMO. They just didn't seem to much compared to similar airlines like Delta and USAirways. I would not hesitate to fly them again though.

EZYcrew

Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:57 am

My airline (SR, then LX), had just the best service around I think.

But since we launched "Swiss in Europe" in Oct., I am so ashamed of what we offer. Pax now must pay for drinks and snacks in Y-cl, and I find it to be such a contrast to our previous "Destination Excellence" product.

Delta767300ER

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:07 am

From my experience I would have to say America West. It wasnt bad, and the F/A's werent rude but I didnt care for it. The service would not deter me from flying them again (Their route network would)

Delta767300ER

westjet_8

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:25 am

For rudeness of FA's it definatly goes to Air Canada. Horrible flight attedants ever time I've flown with them (alot because to get to the east from Calgary there was no other choice).
Canadian. RIP 1999

FlyGuyClt

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:32 am

Every airline has the possibility of being awful now and then. As well as beating your expectations. I just remember once I wanted to choke the flight attendant on a flight from ANC to PHX. It was a red eye on a 757. He made PA's every 30 minutes. I have never seen anything like it. We are now doing beverages, we are now serving the snack, we are now cleaning up the cabin, we are now starting the movie, we will now be passing out a light breakfast before landing. UGH ! !

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

Leezyjet

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:41 am

Without a doubt has to be Cyprus Airways in Economy Class.

F/a's all look like men - even the women, don't even bother speaking to the "stupid English" passengers just throw stuff in your face if you happen to be facing them. If your not looking at them when it's your turn to be served you miss out !!.

However were I of Greek decent it might be a totally differant experiance.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

airbazar

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:43 am

Of all the airlines I've flown with (28 at last count), Northwest wins this prize hands down.

FlyGuyClt

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:49 am

Airbazar:

I invite you to fly with me any day any trip. I will change your mind of NWA.

Safe Flying  Smile

afay1

Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:02 am

I agree that this topic is very subjective, but I am going to put in my two cents anyway. By far the rudest service I have encountered, keeping in mind that I am an Aeroflot frequent flyer, has been on American Airlines, on and off the ground. For rude ground staff, Delta definetaly takes the cake, but inflight has always been fine.

Qantasclub

Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:23 pm

Hands down..the rudest staff: American, Northwest and United, also Olympic airlines. Based on observations of how the staff of the above airlines treat their passengers and general requests.
Long Haul is the only way to go

FlyGuyClt

Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:26 pm

I am very bias. But I beg to differ about NWA.

Just my two or three cents worth.

Safe Flying  Smile

luv2fly

Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:47 pm

Having lived my whole life until recently, in the DTW area I must say I have NEVER had a bad experience on NW or for that matter with any NW employee that I have come in contact with, and I try to fly them any chance I get, and am glad to see them code sharing with CO my new hometown airline - CLE. Now do not get my started on DL, they are at the bottom of my favorite list.
You can cut the irony with a knife

dc863

Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:21 pm

That's too bad regarding LX Euro service. Delta was on my list of "worst" but they have managed to get better. EgyptAir now holds my #1 worst. I flew on that carrier from Cairo to ZRH two weeks ago. Just awful.

kevin752

Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:24 pm

I would have to sat that the worst in flight crew was MARTIN AIR. they were the worst. If you asked them a question they would not even face you or answer you eventhough I knew she heard me. The best international airlines for service has to be LUFTHANSA( I can not fly from LAX to Europe with out flying LH) and CROATIA AIRLINES. Best US service has to be AMERICAN, ATA and SOUTHWEST.
"Keep Climbing"

Korg747

Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:44 pm

Dc863,
Could you Email me with the details of what made the MS flight an awful one? If you don't mind....thanks.
Please excuse my English!

Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:00 pm

I agree with Flyguyclt.

I flew NW 27 round trips in 2003 (111,000 miles). And I've seen crappy, mean, and rude passengers on Northwest, but I've yet to run into a rude pilot, flight attendant, or customer service agent. And service has been excellent rather than good

I don't understand how experiences could be so different. Maybe it's my looks and personality.
 Smile

KLM11

Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:12 pm

Out of all the airlines that I have flown with I would have to say that UA is #1 for unfriendly inflight attendants. I have had a few very positive experiences on UA, but that was in First Class. When I have flown in Economy sometimes I feel that the FA's are mad that I chose to fly with UA! Also Economy has very little legroom. I found that UA's 772 have the same amount of legroom as the EMB-120!! That is CRAZY!!  Nuts

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

airbazar

Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:57 am

I did see a rude NW flight attendant on NW just this week. We were sitting in the plane after boarding in AMS. A passenger arrives to sit next to me and apparently there was some sort of misunderstanding at the gate. The passenger wasn't happy and neither was the FA. The only thing I heard was the passenger say "I didn't like your attitude", to what the FA replied "I didn't like yours either", turned around and walked away. Now, I understand some passengers can be rude, but regardless, this is no way to handle a difficult situation.

On the outbound flight from the US I was litterally yelled at by the check-in lady for placing 2 bags on the scale next to the counter, then told in a very rude manner that I'd have to run to a different security gate or I'd miss my flight. As if I the passenger have the obligation to know that I'm not supposed to put 2 bags on the scale at once, and that it is my fault that in one of the busiest travel days of the year NWA had only 2 check-in counters open which caused me and about a hundred other people to wait in line for nearly 2 hours.

On the same flight from AMS, the captain never once welcomed the passengers on board. I don't think I saw a single smile from an FA on both legs of the trip. The food was beyond horrible. Seriously, they actually attempted to serve this sort of disgusting, soggy, microwave pizza. And the red wine should be banned as a matter of national security.

All of this for the total amount of $850. What a great experience.

sturdy

Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:36 am

I could say AF,KLM, and Lufthansa are one of the worst airlines in the world. Never will I fly with them again. Once is ENOUGH....

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:42 am

Airbazar:

I will completely agree with you on the Pizza matter. My apologies that the crew and other NWA employees did not meet your expectations. What days were the flights? Just curious as I was flying this past week on the AMS to DTW run. I don't remember seeing or hearing anything like what you explained. Again my apologies. I can assure you. If we ever meet in the real world. I'll do everything in my power to ensure that NWA makes good that day.

Safe Flying !

chrisbus

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:35 am

I'd have to say my worst experience was with the Hawaiian Airlines ground crew on my return trip from KOA to LAX. I was trying to check my bag, and the attendant's ignorance and blatant disregard for customer service made me miss my flight.

The best service award goes to Southwest, in my opinion.

uadc8contrail

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:49 pm

klm11,
i too have had bad service on ua, and aa,dl,nw and most others if i were as anal as some of these fine people in here....i try to imagine, although sometimes i forget that the infight attendents are human believe it or not and even though the f/a that made the announcement on the the ground in chiacgo(aa)taxing to the gate(k10)to take your seats was only concerned about the welfare of the passengers and not my 2 yr olds attempt at holding it till we get to the gate,,,,,next time ....will let her go and let cabin service deal with it after we deplane.....
bus driver.......move that bus:)

CO737800

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:54 am

I would have to say AA or United have the worst service. AA the F/A's only walked up the plane 1 time to offer drinks on a 4.5 hour flight.

SA7700

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:17 am

Alitalia had the rudest F/a's. Forget about beverages, they wouldn't even bring water and just told us to get it from the taps in the lavatories.

AF won the prize for the most inept ground staff. My parents' flight coupons for their connecting flight from Paris Orly were uplifted and never handed back to them. They didn't realize that the coupons were gone until they reached Orly (from CDG) and went to check-in for their connecting flight to Naples. AF forced them to buy new full-fare tickets, even though it was their staff who uplifted the incorrect coupons.

NEVER EVER, will AF see my on any of their planes. I would rather fly Egyptair who, by the way, has the dirtiest and smelliest cabins you can imagine. Sitting anywhere close to a lavatory is a bummer!
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Tlima

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:35 am

I once flew on the "old" Aeroflot, back in January 1991 from Colombo, Sri Lanka to Moscow. I can't remember what type of an aircraft it was but it was definitely a scary flight. I remember the seat backs were very loose and they kept on swinging back and forth whenever there was the slightest bit of turbulence.
We got served a meal that is by far the worst I had ever had. I got some eggs which were supposed to be boiled but instead they were half raw and cold as ice! It was just plain nasty. I figured I could at least enjoy my bread roll with butter but that didn't work out either as the roll was more like a rock and you could not even chew on it...
That was definitely an interesting trip and one that will not be forgotten.

I am sure the new Aeroflot is a lot better.

Cheers,

TLIMA
- Meden Agan -

Espion007

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:20 am

TLIMA,

just 2 let u know,thats how week sometimes serve eggs in russia Big grin
Aeroflot has gotten ALOT better ever since the early 90's. seats are better,service better,F/As look hotter too  Wink/being sarcastic I had prosccuto in a breakfast once on aeroflot  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Personally,UA is crappy.Their food is not food.I once couldnt eat the breakfast before arrival on a flight after a dinner of perservatives with food in it.

Snakes on a Plane!

funflyer

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:41 am

I had a horrible experience with AA. From DFW-BOS the f/a were ASSES.
Who cares about status?

AlekToronto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:55 am

pretty general question...so OPEN to different experiences..
bottom line..i treat every airline employee with respect and a smile and 90 percent of the time I get that in return.
having said that there are a few airlines where no matter what you do the staff is surly and upset. In the recent few years the airlines that never fail to leave a bad taste are as follows:
VARIG
Air India
Aeroflot
Olympic Airways (or Airlines now)
American Airlines.

actually the worst airline of all time In my experiences was Air Afrique (wonder why they went under?)

cheers!
Alek

MarcoPolo747

Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:14 am

EZYcrew,

I do sympathize with your feelings, I've flown SR many times for many years and it was top in every respect of the flight, from the moment of the reservation to the moment I reached the terminal. Off the stream passengers such as UMs, senior and/or incapacitated passengers really received that extra attention that made all the difference. Strayed luggage cases were dealt quickly and swiftly. I do miss SR.

An interesting site to visit is www.untied.com

martinairyyz

Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:42 am

For rudeness of FA's it definatly goes to Air Canada.

Hahahahaha... I agree... AC is going down with 90% of their FA's being grannies

Mean old hags........ they are worse than anything I've ever seen. No offence to Canadians here, but even their pilots are FAT... and I mean 139 kilo fatass Billish cowboys!

Nuts
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

AlekToronto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:48 am

hey!
martinair..you state you are 13-15 how many AC flights have you taken in the last few years?
in general AC f/a staff is quite good (yeah there are some rotten apples and fat ones) but don't make a blanket judgement like that. I doubt you have flown enough to make that observation.

cheers!
alek

AnsettAW

Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:55 am

When I have flown in Economy sometimes I feel that the FA's are mad that I chose to fly with UA! Also Economy has very little legroom. I found that UA's 772 have the same amount of legroom as the EMB-120!! That is CRAZY!!
--KLM11

Although I've had stellar service on UA, my worst flight was also on UA. First of all, you're right, seating in Economy can border on inhumane at times, especially with a full load. I was on a full 757 LAX-HNL, just a nightmare. I don't usually complain about roughing it -- hopping trains in Europe, for instance, and just bumming around is no big deal to me. I know this is going to sound like whining, but this flight was too much. The F/A somehow overlooked me during the beverage service (to be fair, it was a packed flight and she was probably distracted..) so minutes later I politely asked her if I could have soda? H20? She said she'd be back but never returned. Another F/A served the meal but, alas, she said she wasn't serving beverages, and added, "Oh my gawd, soooo sorry, can ya wait?" I simply asked another F/A and explained that I had yet to receive a bev. She also said she'd be back but never returned. My fault, I guess, for not packing water. Even with this substandard service, they still had time to play that halfway-to-Hawaii game, say "mahalo" about 3000 times, dim the lights, and disappear. Later in the flight, I'm parched at this point and notice a LINE of passengers going to the galley for water or whatever, so I squeeze out of my cramped window seat, trying hard not to step on feet or bang my elbow into faces. In line there was a lot of grumbling and jokes about this "self-serve" flight. Again, I normally have good experiences (from average to excellent) with UA, but this crew for some reason was just not there.

I've flown the same route in Economy Plus (777) and the legroom is far better. And I much prefer twin-aisled aircraft over the ocean but that's just me. Mahalo.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Snap, Krackle, and Pop are thinly veiled emblems for the Trilateral Commission.

AA777MIA

Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:00 pm

WOW, sounds like a pretty interesting flight,,,, curious to know if the crew was doing a turn from the mainland, and was half asleep.... Seems to be the norm these days from the big guys. Leave LAX, SFO, go to Hawaii, and come back with no layover... OUCH!

AnsettAW

Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:08 pm

AA777MIA -- there were probably a number of reasons that contributed to my nightmare experience. You're probably right that the crew was dog tired; they certainly appeared to be. Who knows, someone else (a honeymooning couple? the person who won the champagne halfway-to-Hawaii?  Big grin ) might have had perceived the flight differently and had a nice trip. I can't imagine anyone enjoying it, though, with all those bodies in narrow 757 and a disappearing crew! AnsettAW
Snap, Krackle, and Pop are thinly veiled emblems for the Trilateral Commission.