mckennasmall

Funniest Delays

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:13 pm

I have been through many delays in my life at airports.I have been delayed because of weather, people and mechanical problems. I have been even delayed because of a lady giving birth at the gate. I was wondering what is your funniest, sadest, scariest reason you have bveen delayed.

Regards Mike

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Funniest Delays

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:22 pm

Don't know for me, but as a photog, I witnessed the following delays :
Aircraft needing a new paint job :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Ronciere

Lavatories needing to be emptied :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

"Remove before flight"...not removed :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Ground equipment colliding with aircraft :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Flat tire :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

UTA,hahahahaha  Laugh out loud
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Richard28

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:25 pm

Was delayed in October from LAS to SFO on America West, because the inbound crew were delayed coming in (A319 from Denver IIRC).

We were allowed to board our plane (A320) before the crew had arrived, and their plane then parked at the gate next to us.

It was quite entertaining to see them scamper from one plane to the next across the tarmac. It still took about 30 mins to get us ready even when they were aboard though, with fueling, pre-flight checks etc.

Still made my connection at SFO, and the ground staff at LAS were superb.

mckennasmall

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:26 pm

that is exactly what I was lookin for when i started this thread thanx again

LFutia

Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:22 pm

Was delayed in ORD in July because ORD had storms the other night and the aircraft was late inbound from PHL.

Mom was delayed last night as she flew CDG-BOM. She left CDG at 11.40 and got to BOM 3 hours late!! She emailed and said that there was snow.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

9V-SPF

Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:31 pm

My father was delayed for about 30 minutes at LEJ a couple of months ago at LEJ because the airport staff somehow didn´t manage to disconnect that tractor from the Boeing 737´s front gear after pushback...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Daniel

dazultra

Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:40 pm

When i was working at MAN, there was a Thomas Cook positional flight coming in from LGW that got delayed. Reason? The pilot refused to leave without a sandwich  Big thumbs up

SA7700

Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:59 pm

Flying out of JFK, back home to South Africa:

We were about to go on the runway, when the Captain announced that we would have to return to our original gate and dock again, as there apparently was a problem with the landing gear. Taxied back, docked and sat on the plane for at least 2 hours, while technicians were in the cockpit. Eventually the techs left and we were OK to go.

BUT, the 744 would not move and inch from the gate. Groundstaff were trying to push us back with a tug not nearly strong enough to do so. We had to wait another 30 minutes or so before a stronger tug became available and we were eventually pushed out.

Our flight arrived 3 hours late in JNB.
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

dtwclipper

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:10 am

Way, way back in the early '70's I was on a UA DC-10 (non-stop in those days) from DTW-SFO. We pushed back from the gate and returned a few moments later.

It turns out, my father who dropped me off as I was a U/M at the time told me, a woman had been sitting oblivious to her surroundings in the gate area and didn't board the A/C. She was attending her husbands funeral, he had been loaded already, and had to be on the plane. The whole thing took about 15 mins. but was the wierdest delay I have delt with.

I kinda doubt that that could happen today.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

aa777flyer

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:29 am

This summer, we had a swarm of Bee's around the right side of the airplane and the ground crews could not work the flight (30 mins). Also this summer, I had a delay because I personally had to remove a passenger who was..."pleasureing himself" in row 31 of an MD80..(7 mins delay).
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

nudelhirsch

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:31 am

I had a very werid flight 2002 from CPH to ARN.

We were on SAS A320, already late, when the captain announced a security problem, one set of bags loaded, but no passenger belonging to these boarding...
So they started to a) page the passenger in the airport and b) just in case check the bags again, so some rampies got into the cargo section and started searching.

Finally a sort of disoriented (not like a sickness, more just under the mentally too heavy task to find a gate) stepped in under a load of comments of angry pax.

As promised, we should be ready for takeoff then, but the captian made anotcher announcement...while searching the bags, someone lost the load and trim sheet down there, and they needed it back, so a second search was started...

all together this made about 45 minutes of delay. was comforting to see 2 stand by captians in the cabin, but the crew did a great job though...

Another one was late because of me...arriving at IAD ona LH 744 I had to run to the farest corner of IAD to board my UAL CRJ to BNA. But the small shuttles buses took a break, and the gate was changed several times, finally at one gate they sent me out on the apron, where I was running around, boarding every UAL CRJ (about 10 in a row) and asked for the one to BNA, as I didn't exit the building at the gate where the plane was. finally, I found my flight, the FA already awaited me, greeted me with my name, closed ethe door right behind me and off we were...I tried my best to be punctual, and I made it to just a 5 minutes delay...was fun though to run over the apron, totally alone, I could have jumped anywhere in IAD!
Putana da Seatbeltz!

neilalp

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:43 am

A flight from STL-DTW on TWA about 3 or 4 years ago, everyone had boarded and they were looking for the copilot. They had paged him in the building but no sign of him. They weren't sure if he had a heart attack or why he was responding, but about 45mins later they found him. Everyone clapped when he arrived.

planemannyc

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:17 am

On a recent flight from JFK to SXM, our AA flight was delayed because gusting winds would make it difficult for food trays to be loaded. The catering unit was swaying along with the aircraft, and engineers were worried that hard bumps could damage the planes. Passengers were laughing and saying that we should leave the bad food and take off anyway. Then we saw the catering service agent figure out a solution -- he parked the food truck a few feet from the aircraft, then extended a metal plate that worked as a bridge -- so when the plane or the truck swayed, they actually did not touch each other, just the metal 'bridge' contracted or expanded. We took off about 45 minutes late.

The annoying delay was about three years ago on a connecting USAirways flight. My business partner and I were flying in from PHX to LGA via PHL. When we got to PHL on a redeye, we were informed that the flight crew had not arrived (overslept, sheepishly said one gate agent). We were one and a half hour late for a 30 minute flight. Not pleasant when we had only three hours of sleep the night before, and waited in fairly uncomfortable seats at PHL while the crew came -- and worst yet, we had to go to work that day.

FLAIRPORT

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:26 am

well: I had a crew mixup... a crew coming from ATL-DFW was delayed due to fog, which ultimatly delayed our flight by at least an hour... on NEW YEARS EVE, so we ended up flying through the new year.

Also: A few years ago, we arrived at the gate for our ATL-FLL flight and found no plane. Waited an hour, but no plane... they kept delaying the flight until 10:35pm (8:35 scheduled), but we did not know why. Finally, they told us that they were replacing an engine on the L1011. It wasn't my greatest flight!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

deltadude8

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:26 am

Last Prez. Day Weekend...Boarded a UAL from MCI-DEN. Everyone boarded and took their seats. Meanwhile someone knocked the AC power cord out of the plane and we had a 10 min delay to reset the navigation equip. then they closed the door and pulled the jetway back and right as we began to push back they stopped us and pulled us back in and the jetway came back up. The captain came on and said that the Agents forgot to do the Random Security Checks...soooo everyone had to get their stuff and get off the plane...once everyone was off the plane they had to search it...then they started the boarding process all over...and i was the first one to walk up...i started to walk away when they yelled to me to come back...they forgot to do the security check thing again!!! DUH UNITED. So they did the security check and everyone got back on and we left. Total Delay time = 10mins for nav. equip. 15min to unload plane 15min to search the plane 20-25min to load back up= 1hour and 5min Delay...Missed my flight to VAIL and they gave me $9 to get some food...bought a cookie and a bottle of water...9 dollars...couldnt believe it...! Spent an extra 3.5 hours in the Denver airport by myself...it was real fun.........!

Then just about a week ago...Was on a DL 738 bound for MCI from ATL. We taxied to the rwny and as we were holding a guy jumped out of his seat and ran back to the F/A in the rear of the aircraft....As we turned onto the runway the F/A returned the man to his seat and returned to her seat. The plane was roaring down the runway nose wheel about to leave the ground...All of the sudden the plane went back onto the ground>> FULL BRAKES!!! the tires were literally screeching down to runway....stopped at the end of the runway and pulled off at a high speed....the crew came on the PA and announced that one of the EXIT windows appeared to be opened...we returned to the gate and had it checked out...Apparently a women had a nervous attack...(anxiety) and was trying to get out of the plane...30min delay

ArmitageShanks

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:39 am

I was supposed to fly on an MD-11, needless to say that was a delay because a new ac had to be switched, I have had weather delays on the ground and in the air, mechanical problems, and I didn't get my luggage for a week cruise because of a delay on COMAIR when they wouldn't leave because there was NO ICE on board a CRJ!!!!!! The most pissed pax I have ever seen.

SlamClick

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:43 am

I once took a 50 minute delay at YUM because a roadrunner had homesteaded my airplane. Took quite a while to motivate it to leave without scaring . . . well, you know. Considered writing to the "Acme Company" for something to get it out of there.

Saw a charter flight turn around and come home empty because they could not get the 1L door open. Plane had been sitting in snow with that door open and the slush froze in the doorsill during the ferry flight.

Heard of a delay taken while a captain waited for the RVR to come up to 1800 feet because he knew he needed 600, 600 and 600. (Really means touchdown zone, midfield and rollout area each to be 600' vis.)

How about an arrival delay. QQ Md-80 gets in on time, parks on the spot. Jetway blows a hydraulic line about four feet from the plane. Too far to jump. Too close to allow use of the airstair. They had to bring a tug, have everyone sit back down, push it back ten feet and walk the pax down the airstair and up the outside stair on the jetway.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Kempa

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:26 am

Once, flying on Delta, I was supposed to travel on a flight that was cancelled. I was rebooked on a flight 2 hours later. That flight was delayed because Delta could not find a flight crew for the plane! Not so unusual, except for the fact that I was flying from ATL.

yegbey01

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:28 am

Back in Nov, flying from PHX to LAX on United Express... we had an overweight guy who needed a special seat belt....

we ended up waiting for 45 minutes

redngold

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:34 am

One of my more hellish trips involved a trip that was supposed to be ABE-PHL-CLE on USAirways/Express.

We were one hour delayed on the flight ABE-PHL, because the plane had "mechanical difficulties" at its origin... PHL. We weren't told the nature of the mechanical problem, but we were told that they finally decided the plane was airworthy and brought it in.

When the passengers got off the plane it was quite obvious what the problem was -- they got off sweaty and looking downright miserable. The "mechanical difficulty" was lack of air-conditioning. That day was particularly hazy, hot, and humid.

Okay, for those of you who don't know ABE-PHL it's about a one hour drive between the two places and only about twenty minutes in the air, if that. So those of us on the flight back down to PHL were quite peeved that they had delayed the plane for air-conditioning. Yes, it was a "triple H" day, but my goodness, it's such a short flight!

So we boarded, and our f/a told us she would serve us drinks to keep us cool on the flight. The plane was not hot, rather just felt stuffy. The flight was uneventful as we headed in to PHL...

But we had a go-around.

So our little 20 minute flight turned into a 45 minute flight. And the f/a of course couldn't get back up because who knew what would happen as we went back into the approach pattern.

We got into PHL approximately 20 minutes before my CLE flight was scheduled to leave. I was on crutches. You can imagine my frustration in trying to find an appropriate way to get through the airport. I ended up basically jumping on an electric cart that wasn't mine and telling the driver I would jump off at my gate, which is exactly what I did.

You can imagine my dismay when I saw that the gate sign flashed "CANCELLED."

When I asked the gate attendant what the problem was, she said "mechanical difficulties."

I let out a profanity-laced response to the effect of "That didn't keep the last plane from flying!"

Well, at least I got a good hotel room.
Up, up and away!

Riley

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:44 am

Last year on a DL flight DFW-ATL, we taxied out to 17R for departure and then we turned back. I'm thinking wind change at the field probably... Some guy had a heart attack up in first. Don't know if the poor guy survived or not. We were about an hour late into Hartsfield.

707CMF

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:03 am

Had a LHA320 delayed on the FRA-LHR route.

Reason given by the Captain for the equipment change : coffee machine was out of order. Puleaaasse

Bigfoot

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:12 am

My "best" delay was two years ago on a MXP-CDG Alitalia flight... the pilot simply did "not wake up in time". An hour delay before a substitute came...

BF
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change

SafetyDude

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:26 am

On VS002 from EWR on December 22, we were delayed by about an hour because of a "late arriving crew." When they did show up, they all had new "Macy's" shopping bags. Big grin

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

flyinryan99

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:38 am

I just had one today that was kind of funny...but not for the FO....he forgot his wallet at home....and guess where his Medical and Flight Certificates were......82 minute delay

Also took a ground delay in CVG once due to a Fox running on the runway...I was jealous of him getting up close and personal with the planes. =)

Ry

mlsrar

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:40 am

This has happened to me twice now in MSP for NW 1958: I've seen a catering truck plow into engine number two on two different occasions between July of 2000 and August of 2003. Last flight out of MSP to MKE for the day and no way of getting them out. I offered to take a rental-car as compensation as it would get me home faster than the overnight, but it never was offered.

Parking at the gate at MKE, our 320's wingtip fence somehow found its way under the wing of the -10 (aah the good ol' days) parked at 68 as we pulled into gate 67. I didn't take a delay, nor am I sure whether or not the flight outbound, but the look on the marshallers face as they walked around to see what they did was classic!

I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

rotor1

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:42 am

Few years ago as a youngen', my family and I (about 30 in all) were booked on a Delta MD11 from who knows where (started the trip in PHX on something, long time ago) to DEN... flight was PACKED as they boarded the typical 20 minutes late. While on the a/c taking our seats there was a muffled boom, no one really noticed, everyone got situated and the captain noted that a tire had blown on the main gear... we waited for probably 30 minutes as the engineers did their thing (we thought) until they deboarded everyone, we waited for about 2 hours watching the engineers do whatever they were doing before other pax started getting thrown on other flights. Our big party could not be sat on anything else, so low and behold about 5 hours later, we boarded the MD11 in cover of darkness.

The flight had the 30 of us, about 5 business class pax, and 1 first class passenger. My sister and I ate so many kids meals it wasn't even funny... sat in first class playing cards with a flight attendant dedicated to no one but us the entire flight. I loved it. Absolutley wonderful. Plus, by the time the plane landed, about half of my fam was inhebriated and they were all clapping and singing for the crew... despite the slight delay.

I was too busy frantically eating one last kids meal.

Mike
The best aviation photo I've ever taken was rejected by Airliners.net

eastbay

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:47 am

As a crewmember, I've been required to show late many times due to crew rest requirements.... my experience tells me that often times the gate agents show a lack of understanding on the issue, as the passengers (understandably upset) have given me dirty looks and sarcastically asked if I've gotten enough sleep. There are two examples where I nearly caused a delay due to showing up late, once because I had forgot to set my alarm clock (luckily I was living 5 minutes from the Ithaca airport, and awoke 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure time; I arrived at the gate 5 minutes prior for a light load, we went out maybe a few minutes late) and once because half way to the airport I realized I had left my wallet, complete with pilot certificate and medical at home- again, I arrived minutes before departure time, and the excellent staff at Ft. Huachuca had prepared the aircraft for me. Probably lucky in both instances.

The funniest delay announcement I heard was while I was the Captain of a Beech 1900, operating Yuma to Phoenix several years ago. On the taxi in, ATC advised us of a 40 minute gate hold due to traffic into Phx, so we told the gate agent (jokingly, obviously) that we were gonna go late, as the First Officer and I wanted to play the pinball machine for a while first. We actually did want to play the machine, but as we were walking towards the game, the agent announced over the terminal that we would be boarding just as soon as the pilots were finished with their video game! Whoops, a joke gone bad...

CV990A

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:42 am

My favorite was on a BA flight LHR-MAD we took a 2 hour delay because a group of 18 tourists from a connecting flight got drunk on the previous flight, then stole the lifevests from the plane and wore them inflated through Heathrow's T2! It took police an hour to get them and their luggage off the plane, and then we took another hour's delay waiting for a new slot into MAD- all this for a 9am flight!
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

ANX4fishing

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:57 am

Was delayed @ ORD a few years back when a dog was running around the taxi ways and runways. It happened right in front of AA's terminal and we caught the whole show. There was a major effort trying to catch this dog with police, fire crew, security etc. They tried to lure it into the back of a station wagon with food, treats, etc etc. As soon as they thought they had him, he quickly jumped out the way and strolled on. It was HILARIOUS. After awhile we were rooting for the dog... This went on for at least 30 minutes.

Seriously, some flights were delayed, but the dog was unharmed and eventually caught. German shepherd, I believe.

EZYAirbus

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:00 am

had 3 hours sitting on the ground at SIN on a BA744 after a cargo lorry smashed into the rear cargo door, worse still was Singapore Airshow that day, we had 7 minutes to clear the airfield from the gate, or be stuck there for another 36 hours!!!!

GLenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Dasheighty

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:14 am

On December of 1985 I was on Delta Airlines Flight 799 EWR -ATL. It was a Boeing 757 about a year old at the time. The engines starter for the number one engine failed, forcing a return to the gate. One the aircraft got back to the gate they laid Cardboard on the ground under the engine. They opened up the engine cowling and a mechanic on his back started whaling away at the engine with a Hammer. In plain view for all the passengers to see. Needless to say anyone sitting on the Left side of the aircraft jaw had dropped and although the aircraft had originally filled to capacity when the aircraft left the gate the second time it was considerably lighter.

OB1783P

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:38 am

TWA 800, extra frigid mid-Winter 1980. 747-100. We boarded regularly, and then we were told that we would have to wait for the luggage of connecting passengers because two arriving flight at JFK had their baggage door shut tight by ice. The crew let passengers disembark or stay aboard, as preferred, and offered appetizers, plus a trip upstairs for curious me. The party lasted about 90 minutes. It was a very cheery affair.

TWA IAD to SFO, 1983 or 84. 747-SP! We are delayed about 30 minutes by a "sink" problem. What the heck?  Nuts Then we take off, and after dinner, I realize it was a "synch" problem, since in my cabin, the sound of the movie is three seconds off. But by cranking and looking forward to the next screen forward, it matches: Sally Field and Paul Newman in "Absence of Malice".

Aaah TWA in the early 80's. Those were the days.  Crying
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

rongotai

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:10 am

July 1969 - QF 707 delay NAN-HNL due to conflicting traffic in the form of the Apollo 9 splashdown.

March 1978 - NZ F27 HKK-WSZ-WLG delayed due to the local member of parliament (booked on flight) being stuck on a one way bridge due to an accident

Jan 1991 - NZ 767 delay NAN-AKL due to non arrival of immigration personnel to clear departing passengers.

Jan 1992 - UA 747 MEL-AKL. Wheel fell off.

Jan 1994 - US Dash 8 BUF-BOS. Crew unable to find aircraft due to unrecorded incoming gate change (the passengers were told but not the crew)

ntspelich

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:26 am

Going from IAD-PIT last April, we were delayed by about 2 1/2 hours because there simply was no plane. The flight crew was sitting there with all of the passengers wondering where their plane was, and it seemed that no one quite knew. In fact, they went so far as to say that while most other flights were delayed due to weather, ours was not.

Eventually, another crew that had just come in and was terminating at IAD got permission to let the scheduled crew fly the aircraft they just brought in (and were scheduled to take out in the morning) to PIT while they deadheaded in the back, only to turn right around at PIT and get to IAD before curfew. After we landed, the last passenger wasn't even into the terminal before the plane was turned around and started to taxi to the runway.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

EZYAirbus

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:33 am

1 hours at SIN Feb 2002, had to wait for a flight from LHR to arrive as they had passengers connecting onto our flight to BNE!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

FinnWings

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:49 am

This is my favorite delay... A few years ago I boarded in one of Finnair's MD-11s which had just been in D-check one day ago. I sat on my seat and tried to find my seatbelt, but couldn't find it. I looked around and other passengers which were seated on the same row were struggling with same problem. Some body had forgot to re-install seatbelts of that row after maintenance! The situatation was quite funny indeed...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I told to FA that we have a problem and she called to mechanic who quickly installed missing seatbelts... Total delay was around 15 minutes.

Regards,
FinnWings

aviationfreak

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:58 am

My colleague told me that her flight was delayed somewhere at Cyprus because the boarding stairs bounced in to the aircraft. It did the whole plane shake. Ours late at AMS.

When my mother was on her return flight from Indonesia to AMS the a/c had to make an extra stop because they forgot to take water on board. 4 ours delay!!

Friends who flew back to AMS from Colombo had bad luck twice. Somehow the Air Holland 757 didn't fly and they got a Turkish airline instead, also a 757. After the usual fuel stop in the UAE the a/c made another stop somewhere in Turkey for a crew change when they thought they were finally in AMS after their worst flight ever! Ours delay!

Yes, I'm talking about others. I guess I was always the lucky bastard. Big grin
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

CVGpilot

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:23 am

Was delayed for 1 hr once, due to a underage female whom had some pax from our flight buy her drinks and she got drunk and lost her id, she was the last pax to come aboard the ATA L-1011 direct FRF from BWI. That was alot of people that were pisst, and her seat got moved to the back of the A/C so she had to walk past everyone. Not funny but interesting.....
Globally Yours

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Got delayed once receiving my bags after a Royal Airlines A-310 flight from Cuba to YMX. The flight left AVI on time, arrived YMX earlier than planned....but passengers had to wait like 1 hour to get their bags off the plane. It was in February and Mirabel was sooooo cold. The belly doors were frozen! Could not open!

FlyCaledonian

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:41 am

Couple of years ago due to fly SYD-SIN-FRA on QF. Night before there had been serious hail storms over SYD. Result? ABout 1/4 of the QF L/H fleet was out of service with various damage.

Checked in and got through to departures with no delay showing, then a one hour delay appeared from nowhere, slowly creeping up to three. Found out of the crew that QF was trying to get 763s and 744s into SYD from all over to cover the European and Pacific services for that day. The delay to our flight was because we had to wait for a 744 from MEL after they could not get our original scheduled aircraft ready.

Went from admiring that hail storm the night before to cursing it, especially as I missed my connecting BA flight to MAN in FRA, so had a nice four hour wait there too!
Let's Go British Caledonian!

nonrvsmdmf

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:58 am

I took many interesting delays at ABX...

The worst was 3 hours. The dreadful aircraft that always had something
wrong with it came in. During the night outbound, a switch broke
in half while the crew was getting the prechecks done.

We took a three hour delay because the glue had to dry. The paperwork
that certified the glue was the correct glue had to be sent in
and approved. And more paperwork filled out that there we no
MEL restrictions.

In the meantime, our GPU ran out of fuel so they had to run the
APU. By the time the fueler finally showed up, they had to put
more fuel on the aircraft due to the APU burning.

What a dreadful night.
I did not forget...I just misplaced the thought...

infiniti757

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:12 am

Have Two stories.

Several months ago at the DHL hub my A/c was being loaded when apparently a box containing live crickets was broken. Had to download all of the containers and kill crickets before flight could leave, due to live animal regs. 85 minute delay.

Girlfriend (an FA) was working a flight to LaGuardia. When her RJ came to a stop TSA requested a blanket and told them to close aircraft up until notified. Apparently a prisoner swam down Hudson river from prison next door and was running around tarmac naked. Caught him and wrapped him in blanket. Tried to claim he was doing it as a radio prank before being identified. 30 minute (or so) delay.
Give me the luxuries in life and I will gladly do without the necessities. (Frank Lloyd Wright)

Mir

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:22 am

My Swissair flight from New York to Geneva was once postponed until the following morning because a pilot was not available. On the way back, we learned that the reason he was not available was that he had been arrested in a New York nightclub for "indecent exposure."
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

airtrainer

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:51 am

Was delayed for about 2 hours a few years ago in EWR, we were taxiing to the runway when the LH captain said we had to go back to the gate for a problem with one engine. We weren't allowed to get out of the A340, and as I was seated on the aisle at the rear end of the plane I got up and looked at other planes on the runway by the door's window. Then a friendly F/A came and opened the door so that I could have a better view  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

In last november I was on a UA777 at CDG (to IAD), just after leaving the gate the F/A told us that we had to go back because of an oversised luggage problem. It was quite funny to circle the #1 terminal and go back to the door.

Regards

jef
Life is short : eat dessert first !

OrbitJFK

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:01 am

No Tower Air stories huh???? I was on an AA 757 from DFW to LGA as a U/M with my sister in August 2003. The U/M's boarded first, and as we got on we learned the plane would not be leaving soon because the TOILETS WERE OVERFLOWING WITH BLUE STUFF AND THAT THE CABINS WOULD BE FLOODED! That was gross to think about. Awesome crew! They joked about lifting everyone's feet up on take off. The U/M's just chilled in F/C with the F/A's for about 45 mins. Pretty bizarre delay to me...

ORBITJFK

SAS-A321

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:03 am

I was once delayed out of ORD due to traffic!!!  Wow!  Laugh out loud

One captain in an north european airline was fired after delaying a flight to FRA. Two F/A from an asian or arabian airline had asked if they could fly on the jumpseat as the flight was full and they needed to go to FRA to get another flight. "Yeah sure" the captain said to the gate coordinator - "if they bring some danish bread with them". The two F/A's arrived in the cockpit but was rejected by the captain as they didn't bring some danish bread. The gate coordinator thought that he was only joking... but he wasn't. After returning from FRA the captain was called to the crew room and his co-pilot was told that he was flying the next route with another captain.
It's Scandinavian

scxmechanic

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:13 am

Here's one that I found pretty funny...

Our DC-10 was delayed several hours out of DFW one early morning. It was due to one of the flight attendants meeting up with some guys she met in the bar the night before. She and the men spent a little too much energy shaggin and drinking and she overslept.

She was so out of it that when the Capt called the hotel to have security go check on her, they couldn't get her outta bed! The door was locked shut and no one could get in. So we were all worried she was being held captive. The police were being called and we sent someone to the hotel to check on her. But as it turns out, after pounding on the door for about 30 min she finally woke up.

The security guard who was on the phone with the Capt said there were several naked men passed out on the beds and floors when she opened the door.

Oh and she didn't get fired.. Just a letter in her file.. Damn lucky if you ask me...

Oh those were the days.. Man how I miss the charter work! LOL

N766UA

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:18 am

My fathers flight from Jacksonville to Cleveland was delayed 17 hours due to a tornado on the field.
This Website Censors Me

myk

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:44 am

I was once delayed 1 hour because of a passenger loosing his passport in the Toilet. Passenger and her luggage went out of the plane !!!