FlyGuyClt

Airline Expert?

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:01 am

Hello all, and a Happy New Year !

I was just thinking. ( I know I know. I actually do now and then) No comments on that from Piedmont Girl either.

Anyhow. Serveral people on here seem to be experts, or have worked for airlines, or have. Well you get the picutre.

When was the last time you flew on an airplane as a passenger? Or how long ago was it that you worked for an airline or do you work for an airline today?

Many Thanks.

Safe Flying  Smile

Me, I flew last week. As a flight attendant.

Just a little fun post. NO bashing or mean threads needed.

Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

Leskova

RE: Airline Expert?

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:09 am

Well, I'm no expert and I've never worked for an airline - I've just been reading practically every article/magazine/book about flying that I could get my hands on for about the last 20 years... I've been on 311 flights in my 31 years and have flown 417148 miles in 41 days, 22 hours and 43 minutes on planes...  Big grin

My last flight was on 29 October 2003, the return from my third trip to Brazil last year...

But, on a somewhat sad note, I guess I'll not be flying as much in the next months and/or years: on 30 December 2003 I closed my travel agency down for good, so from now on I'll have to pay regular fares...  Sad
Smile - it confuses people!

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:11 am

Leskova:

I would say you have a fair and balanced view of the industry. I am sorry to hear about your business and hope that 2004 will bring you prosperity in a new direction.

Safe Flying  Smile

PiedmontGirl

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:11 am

Pssssssst.....the FlyGuy is always trouble when he starts thinking.....but don't tell anyone I said so! OK?!?  Big grin

The last time I worked as a flight attendant was during the late summer.

The last time I was on an airplane as a passenger was about three weeks ago. I just made a quick hop to CLT and back. I was meeting a friend who was coming in off her last trip before retiring. It was a nice showing, too. About 50 F/As, both active and retired, showed up to see her into her retirement. We'll be having a nice party for her later.

LHR001

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:14 am

Piedmont Girl,

Piedmont was great airline. They always were known to be a step above the rest. US Air got a deal when they got ahold of Piedmont. Like I have stated in an earlier post... It would have been great to have worked with you!

Happy New Year..

LHR001

Leskova

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:20 am

PiedmontGirl - he won't hear it from me... Big grin

Flyguyclt - disregard the line I wrote above...  Big grin ... thanks for the wishes for 2004, the best to you, too, for this year (and beyond).

Fortunately, it seems that I've already found a new job, which was somewhat surprising judging from the state of things here in Germany at the moment - but all the applications I sent to airlines came back as "Thank you for your application, but...", so I'll be off to my other area of interest: computers (well, actually Storage Area Networks and Backup Solutions) - still, I would have liked to stay in the travel industry.

Anyhow - from the way 2003 went, I can now, with almost absolute certainty say: it actually can only get better...

Regards,
Frank

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:22 am

Everyone just loves the PI Girl !

JBLUA320

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:25 am

Well, Im not even out of high school, so no, I dont work for an airline. But its something I have dreamed about for a long time, and I hope that by reading these forums, and magazines, and flying enough times that I learn enough about the industry to go into it with a bang.

I am no expert compared to the likes of other users on here, but I am often asked by friends and family about thier planes, or to find them a fare. Its comforting to know that when people I know think about airplanes, they think of me. That probably sounds really lame, but it somehow comforts me and makes me think that perhaps my calling is in the field of aviation.

Who knows where I will work, when I will start working or hell, where I am going to go to college. Its something I hate thinking about because I dont know how things will be in the future... but I guess thats the fun in living... You dont know where you will end up, you can only dream about what you want.

Even if I can only dream about working in the field, I have found that a dream is sometimes far more comforting then reality.

JBLU

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:28 am

Jblu:

Follow your dreams. It is still a very rewarding industry. You brought back memories with all your friends calling and asking you things. I have been flying for 17 years now. Four airlines later. I am still here and still enjoy my job and my co-workers. There are still many passengers out there that make my day too.

Safe Flying  Smile

TransCon1976

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:28 am

Flyguyclt,

I find it very encouraging that so many of the people who post on this site are under 21 and show such enthusiasm for our industry without ever having worked in it. What constantly amazes me and why I find truly dismaying are all of the postings from “SENIOR” people in our industry who truly haven’t a clue what a privilege it is to work in our industry moreover to still be employed and not furloughed.

This is my eighth year as a Flight Attendant and I first started my career Inflight with NWA in 1995. Our customers have changed, but the attitudes of many carriers and their employees have not. Fares are less than half of what they were then in most markets and all airlines are forced to lower their fares to be competitive or cease to exist.

I currently am an Inflight Crewmember with B-6 and can tell you that CUSTOMER SERVICE is the reason that our airline will succeed. DIRECTV and new planes are certainly a draw, but service will be the deciding factor for selecting a carrier when all of the fares are the same.

Having read many of your postings, you are truly an asset to NWA. I had the pleasure of flying with many friendly professional Flight Attendants at NWA, however I always found the prevalent attitude there that the customers should just accept what service is offered and not that the company should tailor their product to the customers need. I hope that the main reasons that WN/B6/F9 are such success stories isn’t mistaken by the legacy carriers as just based in fares but acknowledged as an overall provider of industry leading customer service.

…Just my 5 cents…

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:38 am

TransCon1976:

Congrats on being with JetBlue. I hope you have a long and successful career with them. I was working a flight from LGA to DTW about a year ago. And serveral furloughed NWA flight attendants were returning from a JetBlue interview. Could that have been you? I find that most of the people on this web site truly love the business and use it to get more info and to share their passion. It is the ones who consistently shoot venom over the keyboards that make me scratch my head. I appreciate your compliments and look forward to sharing more threads with you in the future.

Safe Flying  Smile

PVD757

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:41 am

I have it a lot easier. I work on the airport side of things and I don't worry about delays, aisle seats, not enough peanuts, or cold coffee. I used to sweat that stuff at AA but I got out before it was too late(going postal). Anyways, if I was to ever get into that side again, I would definitely start some sort of charter operation. There is always some sort of seasonal service to be added to countless destinations and there is only so many planes that can be thrown at the temporary demand.

TransCon1976

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:52 am

Flyguyclt,

Thank you for the kind words and best wishes. I left NWA in August of 2001 to join B6…talk about timing! My class at NWA wasn’t furloughed and just got a line back for January at least in DTW. Some were displaced however.

This job definitely has its challenges and does tax your nerves at times. Some passengers are just plain rude and there are other that can never be satisfied no matter what accommodations you make for them. HOWEVER, it is our job to provide service and to act with composure and professionalism. Safety is why the FAA requires Flight Attendants and I’m sure that even the people that have posted the nastiest comments on this site are qualified to in this area, BUT service is also a requirement and a necessity.

Those who so truly hate people and flying and whine about everyone and do disgusting things and treat passengers in a deplorable manner shouldn’t be protected by their unions from disciplinary actions. Having 35 years ate NWA in SEA or 40 years at UA in ORD is NOT justification for being a deplorable human.

OK off my soapbox…Bye the way, kudos for NWA for posting a profit last quarter!

Cheers!

SlamClick

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:53 am

Not an expert by any means, but I know what I know. Airlines and other entities have found my knowledge useful. I've earned a fair amount consulting and writing.

I've been privileged to earn my living in this field for 39 years. Retire this year and move on to another company in another capacity for more of it. Looking forward to that too.

I'm a pilot with ATP and half a dozen type ratings and have some additional ratings no longer relevant to my plans. Licensed dispatcher. Been operations manager at one company and director of systems control at another. Trained newhires and upgrades and wannabes (who probably now are) And there has never been a time when I could not learn from those who worked around me, those who worked for me and even my own students.

I learn things every time I come to this forum and I am grateful for that. Those of you in the industry, continue to respect your profession. Uphold your standards. At the end of the day you will take pride in that - you were a professional.

There was for me and there will be for you - fun and satisfaction along the way.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

InnocuousFox

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:35 am

I'm the lead designer/AI programmer on an airline management game... which means I am surrounded by stacks of books with enticing titles such as "Handbook of Airline Strategy" (handbook my ass... it's hardbound, 12x8 and about 400 pages!), "Handbook of Airline Economics" (same problem!) and other such delightful subjects.  Nuts

Airline expert? Nah... I just play one in the computer gaming industry!  Smokin cool
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

PiedmontGirl

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:45 am

TransCon1976:

I currently am an Inflight Crewmember with B-6 and can tell you that CUSTOMER SERVICE is the reason that our airline will succeed. DIRECTV and new planes are certainly a draw, but service will be the deciding factor for selecting a carrier when all of the fares are the same.

That is absolutely the truth. If you've got three airlines operating between A and B with a fare of $149, the passenger is going to pick the one that has the best customer service -- hands down. Someone might not remember the Blue Chips or the DirecTV, but s/he will surely remember how s/he was treated and made to feel. The importance of that cannot be stressed enough.

Lhr001:

Piedmont was great airline. They always were known to be a step above the rest. US Air got a deal when they got ahold of Piedmont. Like I have stated in an earlier post... It would have been great to have worked with you!

Thank you! What a lovely thing for you to say!  Smile

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:49 am

PI Girl:

Is love in the air?

Innocent

nonrvsmdmf

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:51 am

Me airline expert?? I lived and watched my dad through 33 years
of it. Thats why I am in corp aviation. Not saying I am an
expert though.
I did not forget...I just misplaced the thought...

JBLUA320

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:59 am

Flyguyclt,

Thank you for those inspiring and kind words. Its nice to know that there is more to the internet then sick pediphiles and frauds. Of recent, Ive been more aware of that "respected users" thing, and I can see why people have added you to their list, and so welcome to mine.

JBLU

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:07 am

Many Thanks for the compliment.

Smile

L1011Lover

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:09 am

Well, who could not love PiedmontGirl???

All of us aviation enthusiasts just got to love her! As I already stated in an earlier post, she´s incredible!!!  Smile

I am a Flight Attendant (Lufthansa company group/Condor)!

I came home from a Seychelles trip on december 30, and I´ll be leaving for a 24 hour trip to LRM today (january 3)!

The last time I was deadheading was in november HAM-FRA!

My last time as a paying full fare passenger was shortly after 9/11 on DL! (FRA-ATL-TUL-ATL-PHL-ATL-FRA)

My last time as an ID passenger was in may 2003 on LH! (FRA-YYZ-FRA)

I´m just planning a trip to NYC, ID on UA and visiting my family in KY in july full fare on DL!

Happy New Year, All the best,

L1011Lover

pilotpip

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:12 am

While slightly above the 21 limit mentioned earlier, I have had a love for airplanes as long as I can remember and I'm persuing my dream right now working through my ratings. I grew up about 3 miles from STL and can remember hearing TWA's L1011s starting up at night. The windows on my house rattled. I saw Concorde from my front porch(it came here once for a charter). To pay for this expensive habit I'm working as a fueler at STL. I graduate next year and hope to find a job instructing somewhere to build time.

My PPL ride was first scheduled for 9/12/01. Needless to say, it didn't happen that day, or for 6 more months. Have the down times lessened my enthusiasm or drive? NEVER!!
DMI

TransCon1976

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:17 am

Best of luck to you Pilotpip! I admire your fortitude and perseverance. I'm sure with your determination and positive attitude you will go far in this industry no matter how the business climate evolves.

PiedmontGirl you rock! What a fabulous airline it was!

sprxflySWA

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:20 am

Well, I have been working for Southwest for the last 9 years.
Last flight I took was at 12 noon PST today, GEG-BOI. Wife,kid, and I flew up there last night just to go somewhere. It was SNOWY there.
Last time as a fare paying was when National Airlines (N7) had their $25 fares a couple years ago. Went LAS-LAX.
As far as expert, I would call me "highly knowledgeable". I have been keen to the airline industry for the last 28 years. And during that time have accumulated a timetable collection of over 3,000 from over 300 different airlines. I have also read many an airline magazines.
So, as you can tell, I LOVE the airline business!!!!

airlinebiznut

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:33 am

Hi Flyguyclt:

Well, when I was 9 years old Eastern Airlines invited me to their Alexandria VA, Sales Office (DCA) when they found out that I was making reservations for my dad and his business associates as a hobby from my little travel agency set up at home. Eastern treated me like a star with an article in the Falcon and then in Travel Weekly and they even invited my family to the retirement ceremony at DCA of the Electra on its' last shuttle flight to LGA. My love of the airline industry was in full swing. It continues to today obviously.

Now I have been with AA for 17 years and just came in today having just done a wonderful 777 turn around from Miami to DFW. I do this trip all month. It was great to have passengers today that were so excited about the aircraft and all of it's features in F/C. I fly an LAX trip on the 777 on Sunday.

Kohflot

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:37 am

Now.. is that Rally Caparas guy REALLY an "ATC Expert?
Ask why..

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:38 am

It sure does seem that a lot of us on here were the family travel agent. I used to sit in my room at home with binoculars and watch the arrivals at CLE.

globetrekker

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:58 am

Well I started to work with a groundhandler (OGDEN/Menzies) in Aruba 7 years ago, and we handled all KLM flights wearing KLM uniform. When KLM increased their flights to Aruba to 17 a week a year a later, they wanted to do selfhandling. Almost all the employees from Ogden/Menzies handling the KLM flights left the company and crossed over to KLM Ground Services. We handled all KLM flights, later all Martinair to AMS and Continental Airlines flights to IAH and EWR. This year we started to handle BonairExel, a KLM exel subsidiary, who feeds KLM mainline flights and Surinam Airways a KLM partner. I now give training and make sure the service standards are up to code for KL and CO. So you have to know the airport systems, rules, regulations and procedures. Although I am based in Aruba AUA, I also train agents in Curacao (CUR), Bonaire BON and St. Maarten SXM (these islands are part of the Dutch Caribbean) and Caracas CCS in Venezuela. I travel ALOT to Amsterdam where they train the trainer. CO trains Caribbean agent in SJU and sometimes I travel to IAH. Aviation is in my blood I wouldn't want to do anything else. My last flight was December 22 from AUA to AMS on KL to attend a KLM course AGAIN. I had to sit on a jumpseat. My next flight is the 4th of January back home. If KL is full then with CO via EWR or IAH. In the past 7 years I never paid for a full price ticket except for a few times with Ryanair to London. My last non-work related trip was to HKG last October.

Happy Flying all,

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

jjeff

Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:59 pm

OK I admit it. I was the family (and friends' and neighbors') travel agent too. Collected airline schedules by systematically going through the yellow pages and phoning reservations centers several times a year as schedules were updated. Watched SEA departures and arrivals with binoculars off our back deck and logged them. Took groups of neighborhood kids on bus trips to Sea-Tac to photograph planes. Even invented and mapped my own countries and cities and then made up airlines for them. Yes, I actually scheduled flights down to the flight numbers, equipment and meal service on my make-believe airlines. I also collected Dinky diecast airliner miniatures as well building plastic models from kits by Revell, Hasegawa etc. Why couldn't a-net have been around when I was a kid?

ElkGrove

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:14 pm

Next month will be my 30th year in the industry. I started out at Braniff in 1974. I came fresh out of grad school into their finance department. I stayed with them until shortly before they went under. I then worked for Pan Am, staying with them through the end. After a short time working with my brother-in-law I was hired by United. I played the loyalty game carefully and as a result I have not been affected by the numerous changes in management over the years. I have also passed up several promotions, instead choosing to stay at a level where I am not the sacrificial lamb each time a crisis arises. I am the brunt of jokes among family and friends for being the guy in finance who drives companies out of business. I would like to think otherwise, however it a noticeable pattern. In actuality if my performances were not up to par I would be long gone.

I know quite a bit about the industry, having been in for most of my life. Currently I would rather not discuss the specifics of my employment however I happen to be “In the know” on a number of issues within my company and the industry as a whole. Much of what I know currently is bound to confidentiality agreements and as a result my contributions are limited.

InnocuousFox

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:17 pm

I suppose this whole thread is based on the finer question of "what is an airline 'expert'?"
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

StevenUhl777

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:33 pm

I'm not an expert by any means...!  Nuts

I grew up in a UA family, so most of my knowledge is UA-based, though I've learned a lot about the industry as a whole, as well as other airlines, and have picked up a lot both from other users here, many of which are on my RU list. There's a lot of misinformation about UA and their current status, so I try to do my best to set the record straight, using facts from UA and my own financial/business knowledge.

I originally wanted to be a pilot for UA when I was a kid, especially on DC-10 or 747. That didn't pan out, but I'm glad really, given everything going on today. My goal now is to earn my MBA and get back in the industry, preferrably in the capacity of an analyst, and then work my way up the food chain.

I did in fact work for UA, in PDX in the summer of '95 as a ramp agent, and then again in SEA the following summer, doing the same thing. There's an opportunity at Alaska Air here in Seattle that I'm going to apply for, and if I get it, it will get me back in the industry and put me on a career path to eventually become a CFO. Ultimately, I want to work for UA in Elk Grove, and who knows...maybe one day I'll have Jake Brace's job!!  Big thumbs up

Last time I flew was on UA, last summer. SEA-IAD-BOS-IAD-SEA. Next time is 6 months from tomorrow, and not only will it be my birthday, but my FIRST time on a 777, finally. I was one of the first people to see a UA777 right after it was delivered in PDX on 5/15/95, yet I've never flown on one.  Insane #940 on 7/3 from ORD-FRA will change that once and for all.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

RogerThat

Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:47 pm

Last Flight as Pax: New Years Eve eve, AA LAX-DFW

First Flight as Pax: 1969, PSA LAX - SAN. Child's fare $4.00 oneway

I'm a second generation airline nut. Dad worked for AA 1945 -1954 and has owned a travel agency 1954 to present. He was in the office on Monday just one week after surgery.

I worked for AA 1984 until 1996 and logged 1 million AAdvantage miles since.

I curse the name of USAir for what they did to Piedmont and PSA, not that I'm bitter.

MoodyBlues

Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:09 pm

What is that quote from the movie "Trainspotting"?

"He knows an awful lot about Sean Connery"
"I hardly think that qualifies"

I'm not an airline expert by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe I know more than most about Southwest.. but there are reasons for that, which I have discussed here before.

I too get called when someone I know needs to go somewhere, in fact my Mum (spelled correctly, as the Brits will attest) just asked me to look for MCO-LGW for her. VS will be first choice.

I have my favorite airlines, but am predudice against none... you have to burn me before I won't like you.

It is nice to have this resource though, and get info from people who have been around longer, of work in the business or somehow have gleaned more knowledge than me. And it is the good on here that made me join, it was a thread that 737doctor started about what made you interested in aviation that got me to sign up... and I wish all the whiney complainer would shut up and drive.... or catch a freighter if going overseas... Aviation is about connecting people, connecting lands, and mankinds greatest dream, conquering the skies, though I doubt our ancestors could imagine a 747.

or a little Texas airline with almost 400 little planes.

Southwest Airlines "A Symbol of Freedom"

P.S. Hi PiedmontGirl, thanks for being the 1st to add me to your "Respected" list... We all love you!!
Southwest Airlines "A Symbol of Freedom"

bistro1200

Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:47 pm

I was furloughed after 9/11, but now I'm back. I will soon have a graduate degree in aviation and that will compliment my 3 FAA certificates. Dad was a pilot (Part 135), and I grew up at weekends at the airport. I have a ground based job but I love it, especially the people with whom I work and the tireless dedication to professionialism that those around me have. I'm not even 30, but I feel like I have found my calling.

MoodyBlues, I completely agree with your assesment of what aviation is. Connecting people, bringing the world together, making distant lands just hours away. I love to go overseas and meet others that work in our field. Working the afternoon shift, I usually bring that up to foreign agents, which makes them relate to me and our similar lives even though we'll never meet again.

Have a great 2004 everyone!
Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.

FlyGuyClt

Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:07 pm

WOW!

These stories are fantastic. This was kind of the purpose of this thread. I was just curious as to who really knows about the business or who just types and types and types. It is an awesome career field to be in. No matter what the world events are. I firmly believe you can be as safe as humanly possible and still have fun and enjoy those around you both crew and customers.

Leskova:

2004 is going to be great for you.

JBLUA320:

Follow those dreams and don't look back. When you get them. Enjoy the field and use the world as your playground.

TransCon:

I hope you have found a company that can make you happy and enjoy your talents. You will be missed at the Big Red.

Nonrevsmdmf:

At least you know what you are talking about. Great business isn't it? I thank you for sharing on the thread.

AirlineBizNut:

Eastern was a great company. At least in my view point. My first interview to be a flight attendant was with EA. From the moment I stepped into the airport to the moment I interviewed and back. They were outstanding. I got the job. But Lorenzo started eating at EA assets so I chose another company.

Pilotpip:

Nothing like the whine of an L1011 engine. My first flight on a wide body was on Delta from ATL to MIA in 1982. On that flight I was hooked into aviation.

L1011Lover:

May I buy your screen name?  Smile

GlobeTrekker:

Did you have to learn KLM? Meaning do you use the phrase, "it is not possible." That phrase just cracks me up when I hear it in AMS. Especially when someone is on a non upgradable fare. Mind you. Only used when appropriate. It is great. No muss No fuss and No way!

JJeff:

Mind taking a DNA test? I was adopted and think we could be twins.

RogerThat:

Kind of amazes me that neither Piedmont or PSA exist in any shape. Either routes or service style.

StevenUHL777:

Good luck with AS. I hope your dreams come true in 2004. They are a great company to work for. (So I hear)

Bistro:

Glad you are back. I am hoping that will be your only furlough of your career and that 2004 brings all aviation companies back on solid financial ground.

ElkGrove:

Was Braniff not a great company to work for? I was Braniff, INC. The friendships and laughter last forever!

Kohlflot:

The verdict is still out on Rally.

Moody:

Is SWA still an Intra-Texas carrier? Just kidding.

SPRXFLYSWA:

Are you not glad you picked SWA? Job security Job sercurity .....Hey does Herb still lift his legs on pilots cars at company functions? Some friends of mine are pilots there and have heard the story. What a motivator of people and a real person who enjoys life and his company.

LHR:

Thank You for being nice to Piedmont Girl. No blasting on this thread.

Piedmont Girl: aka Punchie.

You are a hoot. I enjoy sharing threads with you. But am so envious. They all love you and I am feeling SO left out.

PVD757:

If you start that charter. I think you should fly to ORF and get Piedmont Girl to train your cabin crew.

What makes me an expert? Not a darn thing. But I have been in the business for 17 years as of next month. I have been through a merger, bankruptcy and starting over. This is a great field to be in and no matter what world events are out there. I will enjoy it, the people, and the way of life as long as I am able. I thank all of you for your replies and look forward to sharing many more threads in 2004.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Alders

Safe Flying All!

SWAbubba

Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am

Not an expert, but...

I came to love the airlines from another direction than most here, I loved flying first and foremost so I joined the Navy and became a pilot. I spent the last few years of my time in the military getting a Master of Aerospace Science from ERAU and studying all the airlines to help me decide who I would like to work for. The degree showed me many aspects of the aerospace industry aside from just the flying and really opened my eyes to many things. Once I even got to go for a ride in one of the airport crash and rescue trucks and shoot the water cannon!!! (Thanks to all the kind folks at OKC who gave me the tour!) I also have friends and coworkers who work(ed) as pilots at almost every major airline and have talked to them extensively about the good and bad of each carrier.

Since going to work at WN I've tried to keep up with the goings on in the rest of the industry. Every time I go to the airport it still fascinates me that there are so many people out there traveling every day.

Flyguyclt- I grew up in CLT, went to East Meck. Every time we announce a new city I hope it's going to be CLT or CAE but no such luck so far. Thanks for starting a great thread.

PS- My last flight was on a 737-300 ONT-BNA-BWI on New Year's Day. Happy New Year everyone!

Adam T.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:57 am

I'm by all means no airline expert, though I do seem to know much more about it than most of my friends and family  Big grin

I was born in Houston and my love for the airlines began at IAH. I've gone back quite a number of times. And now that I live near Charlotte, CLT has helped my love for aviation to grow.....better stop there, starting to sound like a soap opera...LOL  Smile.

Lets see......my last flight was Tuesday, Dec. 30th, 2003 on American flight 1914 from MIA to CLT on an MD80.

I don't work for an airline but I do plan on fulfilling my longtime dream.....that is to become a commercial airline pilot!

By the way SWABubba.......I live in Gastonia. There's also a few other members on here that are from the CLT area other than FlyGuyClt and myself. When did you graduate from East Meck? I graduated from Ashbrook in May 2003.

fjnovak1

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:05 am

Well, I wouldn't profess to be an aviation expert but I did go through college as the official travel spring break reservation planner for me and all my friends (and found us some great deals too!!), and I counted that I took 20 flight segments in 2003 (counting connections) as follows: 6 on Delta, 5 on Southwest (one of the WN flights was a direct flight however), 3 on Northwest, 2 on NW Airlink, 3 on CO Express, and 1 on Continental. I'm on 3 flights for 2004 already, 2 on ComAir and 1 on Delta!! And 4 more Delta flights for February (SAV-ATL-PBI-ATL-SAV).

I'm not elite status by any means, but I understand about things like fare buckets and I know where my emergency exits are on almost EVERY aircraft prior to boarding. I know where to sit in coach to have the best legroom on the various equipment types of different airlines, and I read up on the news of the aviation industry daily by browsing this site.

I don't consider myself an airline expert, but I certainly have more knowledge of the industry than the average person who doesn't work for an airline.
Go Blue!!

FlyGuyClt

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:12 am

Fjnovak1 and Adam:

Thank you both for your replies. I guess the reason I did this thread is just to see what people know out there. Or, to get some background as to peoples love of aviation. The ones I really would like to hear from who consistently throw venom via the keyboards have not replied. I guess they are just unable to say anything nice, even if it is about themselves. Since I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I now know that those folks just rant and rave and have no credibility.

Again thanks for making a post and taking the time to look. I look forward to reading more of your post in 2004.

Adam, by the way nice trip report on AA.

Safe Flying All  Smile

SWAbubba

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:12 am

AdamT,

I graduated from East Meck in 1988. I've been to Gastonia many times...

Best of luck to you becoming a pilot- I really can't imagine doing anything else!

Leskova

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:29 am

FlyGuyClt, I think I'll have to try to get to AMS or FRA, when you have your next layover on this side of the Atlantic... you do also fly international routes, don't you?

And if TAM (they just upgraded me to their highest FF status after I had some trouble on my last flight with them) would only join Skyteam (at the same time NW goes into Skyteam), then I'd definitely use NW for my next USA flights... from all I've heard here - from you and NW passengers responding to your posts - it really seems NW has come a long, long way from the times when everyone was essentially just talking about "NorthWorst"...

In any case - and not just for you, but for everyone around here: have a great 2004!

Regards,
Frank

P.S.: I guess no-one around here went to one of the two US schools that I went to? Springwood Branch Elementary School in Houston in 1981, or Yerba Buena Elementary School in Agoura, California around 1982/83?  Big grin

elwood64151

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:42 am

Okay, since there are far too many posts to read, I'll just say what I've done:

Since I was seven years old, I've read just about every book I could find at whatever local library I was at on airplanes, airlines, airports, aeronautical/aerospace engineering, etc...

Before I started college, I spent a few months as a Res agent for Vanugard Airlines.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

When I was in college at UMR, I spent three semesters in Air Force ROTC, where I spent a lot of time learning about every military system they'd let me read about. I also got to touch a B-2...

When I quit school (not contracted in ROTC, so no enlistment), I went back to work for Vanguard Airlines on the Ramp @ MCI. After seven months, I was promoted to Operations, during one of our biggest expansions (summer 2001). After 9/11, I went back to the ramp.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg Stansbery

When Vanguard went bankrupt in 2002, I went to work for AirTran, which had just started operations at MCI (mostly due to NJ going under). I worked customer service for a few months, but couldn't make a living at it, since I was only working 32 hours a week.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett

So now I've been back in school for a year at WestConn. I'm studying marketing and presently have a 3.7 average. It's helped me to see and understand some of the mistakes (and incredible successes!) that airlines have made at the corporate level a little better.

Additionally, I have an uncle who works for American Airlines at JFK in Stores (also does MX). We talk often about our jobs (past and present) when we see each other.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matthew Smith

Another uncle was an officer in the Air Force for 12 years, and my brother just returned from Korea, where he drove tanks. His new MOS in the National Guard will have him working in Army Aviation (AH-64s, actually).

That should give everyone an idea where I stand...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

FlyGuyClt

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:44 am

EL:

It is too bad NJ did not make it. I think with some tweeking it could have gone the distance.

Happy New Year.

Adam T.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:47 am

Thanks FlyGuyClt,

Yeah I'm not the ranting and raving type of person when it comes to aviation.....only when I absolutely think that its necessary. Usually when it comes to issues like FA's dealing with rowdy passengers or Pilot pay I don't get involved because I feel its not my place........i'm not working the cabin or sitting up in the cockpit (At least not yet anyway!), so I just sit back, but sometimes I help by saying stuff like "Keep up the good work guys and girls" or something to that effect.
I just love commercial aviation.....everything about it really. The planes, the atmosphere of the airport, etc.
I also look forward to more of your post in 2004 as well.....i'm glad that guys like you are willing to share your experiences working at an airline and contributing to discussions!  Smile

Adam

MidnightMike

Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:56 am

I worked for Nippon Cargo Airlines for 5 years, worked for Polar Air Cargo for about 3.5 years, and I am not working for Alteon Training been here for about 4 years. My background is in the area of crew planning/crew scheduling, supervisor and/or manager.
NO URLS in signature

Prinair

Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:13 pm

My grandparents and aunt owned a couple of travel agencies in SJU and MIA. I started helping there when I was 10...remember the old OAGs!

I went to System One training at EA in MIA when I was 15...later I worked for EA as ticket agent, reservations agent and flight attendant...

Also worked for System One at their help desk later worked for Amadeus when they took over...I worked at the Amadeus Learning Center as a trainer/instructor.

Currently I work for HP and I love it.....

In a related note...I also worked at Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines...

Certified by Amadeus to be a trainer and by IATA as a pricing specialist and ARP reporting.

Travel is in my blood...my mom actually had labor pains at my grandmas agency...almost born on top of the OAGs!

Jblue320 and Adam T.....follow your dreams...The travel industry is still fun and exciting and make the world yours...
PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines