Ironminds
Topic Author

Anti-Semitism On Emirates

Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:24 pm

I used to think of Emirates as a fairly enlightened Arab airline (booze, femme FAs, etc)...then I read this: http://silentrunning.tv/archives/003527.php

Apparently even these cosmopolitan adherents of the religion of peace get a bit tetchy if you order a kosher meal....oy!

I'm not Jewish, but if this is true, they certainly wouldn't get my business.

emiratesa345

RE: Anti-Semitism On Emirates

Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:32 pm

http://silentrunning.tv/archives/003527.php

First of all, it is Emirates, not Air Emirates.

Secondly, they're right. What was it that I heard about people who hae visited Israel to not be able to go to the UAE? If this is true, why would Jewish people want to fly Emirates? I realize that they have flights which do not originate or land in Dubai, however I would say that it would be safe to assume that many Jews would not fly on Emirates.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

rjpieces

Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm

EmiratesA345, what exactly were they right about?

"What was it that I heard about people who hae visited Israel to not be able to go to the UAE?"

I believe you mean that if a person has their passport stamped from Israel, they will receive harsh treatment from customs in Dubai.

If that story in the link is true, it is simple anti-semitism. Emirates should be forced to apologize and make sure nothing similar happens in the future. For an airline that hopes to start flying to my hometown JFK soon, it digusts me.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

cedarjet

Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Anti-Israeli attitudes are not anti-Semitism. Does anyone really think that people who object to Israel and it's behaviour would be in favour of same if Israel was, say, a Buddhist nation? Come on.

Emirates are a good airline and are not "anti-Semitic". Good try though.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

L-188

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:02 pm

Except this wasn't an Anti-Isreali position, it was an anti-semetic one.

The comment was they don't have Jewish meals, not Israeli meals.

And the guy ordering the meal and buying the ticket was a kiwi not an Israeli

But I am curious if somebody in the know could chime in on the compatablity of Jewish and Muslim dietary laws?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

garnetpalmetto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:16 pm

From what I understand, L-188, what is kosher usually tends to be halal, but what is halal is almost never kosher, as a rabbi needs to okay the preparation methods and what not.

Personally I find this abhorren and abominable. If an airline in the US tried this, the DOJ would have ALL sorts of fun putting them out of business. It's discrimination, plain and simple. Obviously, whoever does Emirates's catering in MEL is bound to be able to prepare kosher meals. The excuse "we're an Arab airline" just doesn't cut it.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

B777337

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:16 pm

This kind of behaviour on the part of Emirates or for that matter any airline is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

N79969

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:22 pm

Emirates345,

You remarks grow more incoherent by the day. What was Emirates 'correct' about?

Cedarjet,

Don't obfuscate the issue by casting this as an anti-Israel issue. It clearly and very obviously was not. Poor try.

If Emirates expects to be regarded in the ranks of world-class businesses, it cannot discriminate on the basis of religion.

[Edited 2004-01-04 08:23:24]

Korg747

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:25 pm

Question, Does El Al serve Arab food?
Please excuse my English!

garnetpalmetto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:26 pm

Korg, again, what is kosher usually fits into Muslim dietary requirements.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

PiedmontGirl

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:27 pm

L-188:

A Kosher meal can be substituted for a Moslem meal, but not the other way around. In flight kitchens almost always have more Kosher meals than Moslem (Halal) meals on hand. If a Moslem meal has been ordered and none is available, a Kosher meal is substituted.

I have never, ever had a Moslem turn down a Kosher meal.

Also, it would have been little problem to provide him with a Kosher meal. There are numerous Kosher meal packers in the world. All of the separate parts and pieces are certified Kosher by a recognized Rabbinical Authority. An example would be the Union of Orthodox Jewish Rabbis. If you look on numerous food products that can be purchased in any grocery store, you can find the Kosher markings. Kellogg's Cereals are Kosher. So is Coca-Cola. The Cokes that are Kosher for Passover (when they are bottled) are sweetened with cane or beet sugar not the usual corn syrup.

A Kosher meal is delivered to the airplane with the Rabbinical seals intact and they stay that way. The salad, bread, margarine, dessert, and flatware are packaged on a sealed plastic tray. The entrée is in a separate Rabbinically sealed package. It is put into the oven and heated until it is hot. The cold part of the tray and the hot entrée are delivered with the seals intact to the passenger who is the one who breaks the seals.

They're not a big deal to cater and they're not a big deal to serve. Emirates should be ashamed of itself just for being so petty and crappy about this.

Kosher meals are pre-packaged frozen meals, for Pete's sake. All they had to do was order one of the things. The kitchen would have put the entree in the fridge to thaw and it would have been delivered to the airplane cold and ready for heating.

Korg747

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:29 pm

that's fine Garn but let's say an Arab person requested special arabic meal on El Al flight...would they make it?

garnetpalmetto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:33 pm

Define "special arabic meal." if you're talking about based on dietary requirements, then again, a kosher meal fits all those dietary requirements and there's nothing further to differentiate it (doesn't have to be blessed by an imam or what have you). If you mean "will El Al order a certain regional dish" then I wouldn't know, but my guess would be no if it were of some difficulty to procure.

Also, keep in mind, not all Arabs are Muslim and not all Muslims are Arabs.

[Edited 2004-01-04 08:36:44]

mjszanto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:37 pm

I skimmed through this, and I find it a little bit concerning. I am Jewish and I've considered flying Arab airlines. In fact I've considered visiting Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Personally, generally, I'd had heard good things about Air Emirates. Generally, there is no reason to believe that the issue that people having gone to Israel should have any problems visiting United Arab Emirates. However, discriminating against somebody for that would basically be anti-Semitic. Most Jews have visited Israel and Israel is unique mostly in being a largely Jewish state.

It is a very foolish way for a airline to operate. It would only hurt their profits and their operations. This is the type of thing that hurts the economies of the region. I know that many people who visit Arab countries are Jewish. Historically, many Jewish people have visited Egypt, Morroco, and Jordan. In fact, many Israelis have visited these countries. While in the last few years, less Israelis have visited Egypt and Jordan, a number of Israeli trips to Morocco have been organized recently. There certainly are flights between Israel and Jordan and Egypt right now.

When there was that big global trade conference in Dubai, one of Dubai's leaders was quoted as saying to the Israelis that he wanted many Israelis to visit Dubai.

On the negative side you can watch memri.org/video.

PiedmontGirl

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:41 pm

Korg747:

that's fine Garn but let's say an Arab person requested special arabic meal on El Al flight...would they make it?

A Kosher meal meets the religious requirement of Moslems. That is, what is necessary is to meet the religious requirements. There is no promise that it is going to taste like Aunt Soandso's special whatever.

No airline that I know of goes about trying to produce special regional dishes for people.

rjpieces

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:43 pm

Does the UAE even recognize Israel?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Korg747

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:45 pm

Garnet, I guess we will have to have that question answerd by a Working person from El Al.

"Also, keep in mind, not all Arabs are Muslim and not all Muslims are Arabs."

True that, I my self was born from day one as an Christian(Qoptic) Egyption and proud of it too.

capt078

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:46 pm

Korg747: despite impressions created by the media, the majority of israel consists of a peaceful coexistance among jews, christians, and arabs (in this case both christian and moslem). in fact, arabs comprise the second largest population of the jewish state. when i flew to israel, there were many moslems aboard my flight.

i did quickly check el al's website and was unable to locate a special meal designed specifically for moslems. but as previous commentary has suggested, moslem traditional allows for some substitutes which el al does offer. i cannot say that el al would or would not make a specific arab meal, but i do not believe this is analogous to the emirates anecdote. the important distinction is that the emirates flight was originating and ending anicillary countries, in this case new zealand and australia.

garnetpalmetto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:47 pm

Rjpieces - again, this is nothing to do with the existence of the state of Israel.

Here's some interesting reading, albeit a little old
http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/anti-semitism/reluae99.html

rjpieces

Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:47 pm

An interesting sidenote....A majority of Muslims in the US aren't Arab, they are African American. And a majority of Arabs in the US aren't Muslim, they are Christian.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:01 pm

So why dont we talk about anti-arabism on ElAl and US carriers?
How do they get treated?

SV777KiloAlpha

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:12 pm

A cheap attempt to slander Emirates image!

I traveled on many major US and European airlines an non could offer me Halal meals, except those serving Muslim countries!!! Why is that not considered Anti-Islam? ANSWER ME PLEASE?

Grow up everyone and be fair.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

PiedmontGirl

Stefandotde:

So why dont we talk about anti-arabism on ElAl and US carriers?
How do they get treated?

On my flights? Just like everybody else.

This is a question of petty and small behavior from an airline that bills itself as a world class carrier.

If they're going to do that, they're going to have to live up to it or drop it.

UAL747

They get treated the same way other passengers get treated stefandodte.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

capt078

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:15 pm

stefandotde: you are absolutely correct. it is a true misfortune that a whole group of people (arabs/middle easterners) are discriminated against because of the actions of a few extremists. i am a jew and a zionist, but i think it is shameful how the u.s. and israel treat the arab world. i am less sympathetic to the governments of libya, iran, and syria, but it is a disgrace that we have let the deeds of a slight fraction of the region's population drive our hatred and discrimation against the overwhelming peaceful majority.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:15 pm

And what about check in, UAL?
What about pilots who denied flying arabic and muslim people in their planes?

We always talk about anti-americanism and anti-semitism.
What about :
* Anti-Frenchism?
* Anti-Germanism?
* Anti-Arabism?
* Andi-Bhuddism?

Let's talk about RACISM - and unfortunately we can find it all over the world, also in the U**

flyboyqf

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:17 pm

When I used to work the check in counters at Melbourne Airport with Qantas, Emirates was one of our many customer airlines. When they first started flying into MEL, we were all thoroughly trained in Emirates procedures and service standards. I specifically recall being told by the Emirates station manager that if a person checking in for their flight had an Israeli stamp in their passport, they were not to be uplifted. I remember being quite surprised by this!! The policy may have changed as this would have occured at least 6 years ago or more

L-188

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:18 pm

Hmmm, interesting about the meals.

I have an Aunt that decided to order the kosher meal or the vegitarian meal regardles. Said the food was better and fresher then the regular meal.

I think I am going to stick with chritianity though. I asked a while back if Moose was Kosher and the answer I got was no.

Still, if the airline publicied the fact that Kosher was unavailable that is one thing. If they don't and told you when you checked in, despite the fact that it was requested at the purchase time of the ticket that is another.

From what I read I get the impression that it was the latter.

uadc8contrail

el al security treats the palestinians like shit when they check in at ord..can understand how they are security minded but they go out their way to mess with them....now thats anit-arab
bus driver.......move that bus:)

@ Capt078:
I totally agree with you.
Problem is that cause of faults from governments, their people will be treated bad.
And unfortunately it's nothing new, Capt.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:21 pm

"A cheap attempt to slander Emirates image!

I traveled on many major US and European airlines an non could offer me Halal meals, except those serving Muslim countries!!! Why is that not considered Anti-Islam? ANSWER ME PLEASE?

Grow up everyone and be fair."

This question has been answered a number of times in this thread... so READ IT... - kosher meals are almost always available, and those meals satisfy the dietary requirements of Halal.

garnetpalmetto

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:23 pm

A quick rundown of the five members of the "Big Six" carriers that still cater:

DL - offers Muslim meals
US - offers Muslim meals
UA - offers Muslim meals
AA - offers Muslim meals on international flights only
CO - offers Muslim meals

Hmm...4 out of 5 offer Muslim meals when ordered in advance on most all their flights...sorry, SV777KiloAlpha, but it looks like the argument doesn't hold water in reference to the US carriers.

On another note, all this talk of "Arab meals" and what not is giving me a tremendous craving for Shish Tawouk, Kibbeh, and Fettouche...

[Edited 2004-01-04 09:27:03]

kevin

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:25 pm

For those of you asking whether EL AL serves Arab food.
I am 100% sure they do not. But here we are not talking about EL Al a hard core Israeli airline that is obviously hostile to Arabs, and we are not talking about MEA or Saudia that are 100% percent hostile to Jews. We are talking about Emirates a global airline, which as far as I know was not obviously hostile to any nation, it was more sort of independent entity. If they really want to become a global open minded player in the industry, than they should treat everybody equally.

I think that this is a separate incident which most probably happened because the manager of the branch to where the Kosher request came was Lebanese or Palestinian. Don't forget Melbourne has a very large Arab community and I wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne Emirates manager would be Lebanese or Palestinian.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:27 pm

Flyboyqf:" ...if a person checking in for their flight had an Israeli stamp in their passport, they were not to be uplifted. ..."

Sorry, what does uplifted mean?
Does it mean upgrade or does it mean: they deny transportation?

rjpieces

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:39 pm

Nobody has answered my question. Does the UAE recognize Israel?

"el al security treats the palestinians like shit when they check in at ord..can understand how they are security minded but they go out their way to mess with them....now thats anit-arab"

I don't mean to inflame the situation, but if we had security that was trained by El Al, 9/11 wouldn't have happened.

StefanDotDe, is there anti-arabism on US carriers or El Al? People of all religions are allowed to visit and live in Israel while the same can't be said of Jews in Arab countries.

SV777KiloAlpha, I'm sorry but that incident is anti-semitism any way you cut it.

MaverickM11

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:39 pm

"el al security treats the palestinians like shit when they check in at ord..can understand how they are security minded but they go out their way to mess with them....now thats anit-arab"

PLEASE!!! You know very well that the VAST majority of all airliner hijackings have been perpetrated by Muslim/Arab people. This is not to say that all Muslims/Arabs are hijackers, but the overwhelming majority of hijackers are Muslim and/or Arab. If I were El Al, I'd focus on Arabs as well since all Arab regimes are all hell bent on destroying Israel, including El Al. Treating Arabs with extra care is a matter of common sense, not simply anti-arab-ism.

[Edited 2004-01-04 09:47:03]
E pur si muove -Galileo

Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:44 pm

@Ripieces: That's not true, arabic people who leave Jerusalem f.e., for a longer time, haven't the right to come back.
And that is anti-arabic, any way you cut it.

@Maverick: unfortunately there is no correct 9/11-answer and the american government does everything to keep secrets.

www.unansweredquestions.org

rjpieces

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:06 pm

Arabic people who leave Jerusalem.....?

I don't know what anti-semitic hate machine feeds your rage but you are dreaming. Israel is a democracy and all people are accepted there (or as much as people are accepted in any country). While most of the Arab regimes (no democracies) aren't accepting of Jews.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:30 pm

Thanks a lot that you confirmed my theory, RJpieces: if somebody says something against Israel, he is amtisemitic.
Maybe this works in the USA, but not in other parts of the world:

I can be against israelian and us-politics - and that has NOTHING to do with anti-semitism and anti-americanism.

RJpieces, so Capt078 is a jewish antisemit then? Read his post!

And yes, it's true: if an arabic person leaves Jerusalem for a longer time he will not have any more right of residence there.
That has nothing to do with democracy, dude.

If i dont have an allowance to stay in the US, i am not allowed to.
So you think, the US is no more democracy?  Wink/being sarcastic

flyboyqf

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:43 pm

StefanDotde ... To not uplift someone means to deny someone transportation. As I said earlier, this policy may have changed as all this happened at least 6 years ago.

Kevin.... Actually the current station manager of Emirates in Melbourne is actually of Italian descent. Interestingly enough, the first station manager Emirates had when they first began flying here was an Anglo Saxon woman.

fraT

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:46 pm

We always talk about anti-americanism and anti-semitism.
What about :
* Anti-Frenchism?
* Anti-Germanism?
* Anti-Arabism?
* Andi-Bhuddism?

StefanDotDe,
give examples of "Anti-Germanism" or "Anti-Frenchism". I'm flying a lot on U.S. carriers and I have never experienced any action against Germans or French people.
Remember this thread is not about things people say on this forum, it's about actions of airlines or airline employees.

Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:49 pm

@ Flyboyqf - i flew with EK 4 years ago and hat a stamp for Israel.
There was no problem at check in. Ok, i didn't order kosher food and so i don't know if they really deny catering kosher food. Maybe it's right, but also maybe it's wrong.

If you have short flights within germany there is no kosher food too. So german airlines also must be anti-semitic.

AA: flights within the US without kosher food. 7 Hrs LAX-NYC (flight within the US) without kosher food? So AA is anti-semitic too?

Emirates has an excellent image. Maybe little rumour here and there and we work against that image??

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:11 pm

@ FraT:
Anti-Frenchism: French Fries into Freedom Fries - (what about freedom kiss?)

And what about "Old Europe"? Remember?

LJ

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:17 pm

Why is Emirates at fault? Fact, Emirates does not have kosher meals. The travel agent didn't inform the passenger correctly because he didn't know that EK doesn't have that specific meal onboard which is their policy (and thus the travel agent made the mistake). A specific meal (be it low fat or a religious meal) is not a "right" but an extra service element which airlines offer or not and thus it's up to the airline to decide which meals they offer. If you don't like an airlines policy don't fly with them.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:17 pm

Anybody ever tried to ask for Halal-meal on intra-European flights ? The mistake clearly was with the travel-agent who A) should have told the customer about Halal and Kosher and B) should have requested a Halal-meal !

GoAround

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:18 pm

The information on the Emirates website, or lack of it, makes the situation pretty clear:

http://www.emirates.com/TravellerInformation/Inflight/SpecialMeals/Religious.asp

GoAround
GoAround

mjszanto

StefanDotDe

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:21 pm

OK you have said a bunch of incorrect things. The main thing that you are saying is just absolutely wrong. The airline effectively told the Jewish guy that they did not want Jews to fly on them.

However, I think that airlines will eventually serve as bridges to peace in the Middle East and all regions.

An Arab citizen of Israel(which there over a million of and most of them are Muslim) cannot be denied the right to come back, like any other citizen. The Israeli supreme court has routinely ruled on the equal rights of all citizens. There is a problem in E. Jerusalem that may be unfair, but it does not involve citizens of Israel or for that matter the national government. I do agree with you that the Europeans have an understanding of anti-Semitism, that thank God Americans don't have and will never have.

In another post, you made an incorrect statement about American foreign policy. Having worked for Congress I can explain this to you outside of this forum.

However, I would suggest you read the speeches of James Woolsey, since he explains American foreign policy very well, and he is lifelong Democrat.

One of the strange things about a fringe in Europe is that they think they are smarter than Americans. And yet our economy is far stronger, people of Arab descent do not face the horrible discrimination they do in France, people of Turkish descent do not face the discrimination they do in Germany. And yet, there are those in Europe that lecture Americans about all kinds of issues.

Your statement that this might work in America is anti-American and unsupportable. The people who make your claims in America belong to extremist groups in America, and actually face tougher laws in Europe. The difference is that the anti-Semitism has entered into the non-fringe groups of Europeans, but Thomas Friedman asked why Europeans who are chain smokers, are complaining about genetically modified food(that poses little health risk). Tony Blair wisely said that he was worried that in Europe unlike in America, he feared a Black person could not become foreign minister. Tony Blair was honest enough to admit it.

L-188

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:27 pm

Well, I still think the reason is crappy, but they do make it public they don't offer a Kosher meal.

solnabo

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:28 pm

Get some vegetarian dish, for crying ot loud!!!!!!
**Jeehhhh**

Michael/SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

COSPN

Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:29 pm

There are many Arab citizens of Israel not everyone is Jewish..Could these people ride on EK as they speak Arabic ???

That is the problem with the Arab community they hate the Jews so bad they forget that about half the folks in Israel/ Territories are Arab , Amazing !!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos