UAL747

Why Do Airlines Hold Seats For Airport Check-in?

Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:27 am

I booked a round trip ticket from OKC-CDG-OKC on Continental via IAH. They won't assign me a seat on the CDG-IAH flight because the seats left have been selected for airport assignment only, meaning I won't be able to find my seat until I check in for the flight to IAH at CDG. What's the point in doing this? I want a window seat REALLY badly and there are about 56 seats still available. Anyone have any reasons?

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

spyglass

RE: Why Do Airlines Hold Seats For Airport Check-in?

Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:43 am

A couple reasons....often certain ones, esp bulkhead, exit row, and those considered "desirable" are held so accomodation can be made for pax w/special needs(e.g. a raisable-armrest aisle seat for a disabled individual)...maybe bulkheads for pax w/little ones (much easier to manage them if no one in front of you)...exit row for particularly tall folks, etc. Also, when the the possiblity of a late flt w some cnx pax to yr flt, some will be held for the gate-to-gate customers. This can also depend on the booking class of yr tkt....if you are on a bulk (Priceline, Hotwire, etc), preference may be given to AAdv (or Elite, whatever) pax or those w/full fare tkts. Sounds unfair, but overall it's reasonable. If you think of it like this.....you reserve a car w Hertz for $20 a day and .15 per mile....someone else pays $35/.25, its reasonable to assume the higher rental wd be, say a Town Car, where the cheaper one is a Cavalier. 1st come, 1st serve isn't always the case. Hope this clarified at least some of your question.....there are other reasons specific for each situation.
I remember when......a plane trip was a big deal.

UAL747

Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:48 am

Well, I asked the ticket agent at OKC why the hold, she didn't know. Also, the seats that are held are NOT desireable seats. All of them are random seats throughout the aircraft in random spots. Anyway, I think with 50 seats available and the flight only a week away, I'll be fine for a window.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AALGAgirl

Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:13 am

nbr 1 for top tier flyers that could not prereserve there seats now remember there are 3 sometimes 4 levels of frequent flyers
nbr2 family's that are not permited to pre those seats that are for nbr1
nbr3 groups that are not allowed to pre due to reasons nbr 1 and then nbr 2
nbr 4 psgrs that just forget to pre seats just because they forgot that they are tvling with 6kids and the in-laws and last but not least
the nbr 1 er's who when they get to the airport and they have been on auto upgrade and they have to purchase points or have left there certificates at home now do not want the upgrade to first class and want the seat that they think they still have
hows that ..