jourdan747

China Airlines Transpacific Service

Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:14 am

Hi,
I'll be taking China Airlines across the Pacific this month and I would like to know what to expect? Going I'm taking the A340 and return with 747-400.How's the food in Economy? Good Inflight service? They said I can choose my seat on the CI website 24 hrs in advance of the flight.Does anyone know about that?

Thanks!

MarcoPolo747

RE: China Airlines Transpacific Service

Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:27 am

LAST TIME I'VE FLOWN CI WAS IN 2001 ON A 744, CABIN IN Y WAS NICE, 33' SEAT PITCH MORE GENEROUS THAN MOST CARRIERS, VERY FRIENDLY AND WELCOMING CABIN CREWS. NO PTVs . CATERING OFFERED A SELECTION BETWEEN ASIAN AND WESTERN DISHES, QUANTITY WAS PLENTFUL AND THEY OFFER FREE BAR SERVICE THROUGHOUT THE TRANSPACIFIC FLIGHT. I WOULD FLY CI AGAIN.

Thales007

Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:16 am

I don't know about selecting seats online, but I have flown on CAL's 744 (SFO-TPE, BKK-TPE-SFO) and A340 (TPE-BKK). Ignoring the safety issue, they offer a far superior product than any u.s. airline offers.

Seat pitch was good, no PTVs, flight attendants are young and friendly as you would expect from an asian airline, meals were above average- from my experience their "western" selections aren't that good in quality. Their 744s are relatively new.

And their A343 was awesome- the plane was still very new with that fresh smell, good IFE, and footrests in Y class (I sat in 12A which was a great seat). be forewarned though that the seats in Y were quite hard and crowded as compared to the 744. you might want to check out their A340 site for more info: http://www.china-airlines.com/en/check/check_a340.htm

So overall very good inflight service. I think if CAL turned around its poor safety reputation they could have a chance as one of the world's best airlines.

hope that helps

nethkt

Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:38 pm

I doubt their safety. CI crashes somewhere every year...widebody aircrafts too!  Sad
Let's just blame it on yields.

chiawei

Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:44 pm

A343 only serves JFK route. rest are 744.

food and service are decent. However, you do risk your lift by taking CI.

This is the only airlines that has nearly crashed all types of widebody it has operated. Nearly lost A340 in Anchorage due to taking off from taxiway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos