ktliem@YVR

BBC: Airline Blacklist Stays Secret

Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:26 am

From BBC News Online:

"Five airlines which have such poor safety records they have been banned in some countries are having their identities kept secret in an information black hole.........future passengers who want to know the names of the five other banned airlines face a seemingly impossible task, even though these names are not officially secret."

What's the real scandal? The fact that the list is secret or that there are 5 airlines with bad records still flying somewhere.  Sad

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3372339.stm

tokolosh

RE: BBC: Airline Blacklist Stays Secret

Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:47 am

Both. But I think the lack of information in our democracies lately is the bigger of the evils. Why do they keep the list secret? In the name of security and safety?!!!!
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

LJ

RE: BBC: Airline Blacklist Stays Secret

Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:28 am

The information is held on a vast database in France and the Netherlands.

Why do you need a "vast" database to list 5 airlines (my spreadsheet would do the trick)  Smile

I can understand the reason why it's held a secret. The airline's lawyers will take legal action against any government as it will ruin the airline.

However what suprises me most is that these airlines are only banned in one country and not in the entire EU. Looks like work for the EU.