SpdBrdConcorde
Topic Author

How Does Crew Deadheading Work?

Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:36 am

I think this thread was posted few months back,but to improve my knowledge about commercial aviation...but how does the airline use flight crews during a particular circuit...for ex A NWA flight with routing BOM-AMS-DTW....(I flew on that route in 2002)...Thanks

mckennasmall

RE: How Does Crew Deadheading Work?

Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:09 am

Well with a route like that the portion BOM-AMS a F/A could work that part and instead of staying at a hotel the F/A will then deadhead AMS-DFW. When deadheading the employee will get Biz or First if there is a seat before any other con(non-rev). When deadheading on Air Canada I know that they get every 2 hours count for 1, that is pretty good for flying First Class.

FA4UA

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:37 am

Each airline has their own proceedure for deadheading.

At UA the crew (both FA's and FO's) get paid their normal rate per hour deadheading, and must fly in Business class or better if it's a scheduled event. If it's unscheduled (last minute decision) then we're boarded with priority for an upgrade, although we wouldn't bump any revenue passengers from the premium cabins.

For FA's at UA we often will be converted to work once we reach the airport. In fact, the majority of the time they convert us up to a certain level. They will call us "enhancement staffing". I guess since they're paying us anyway, we might as well do something instead of drinking expensive wine over the North Atlantic!

I've had a number of crazy Deadhead experiences... the best being roundtrip in business class deadheading ORD-Narita-ORD! It was fabulous! They needed coverage in Tokyo so they pulled six of us junior FA's, flew us over there, we laid over for 55 hours and then deadheaded back. It really was a paid vacation! I had so much fun! It's times like that where I just shake my head and think how lucky I am to have this awesome job!

I've also had to deadhead at 6am from ORD-OMA so that I could trade spots with a girl who worked southbound and then deadheaded back. A total waste of both of our time! A perfect example why they try to prevent deadheading as best they can!

hope this was what you were wondering!
FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

NWAFA

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:51 am

At NWA we have "DeadHead" and "DeadHeadWork"...If you are a DH then you MUST sit. If your pattern has a DW (DeadHeadWork) then you work until all jump seats are full.

On flights that are over 8 hours actual flight time, a Business Class seat must be assigned. On flights under that, you get a MainCabin seat and go on the stand by list for upgrades. We use priorty for boarding at NWA. A Y1 means must ride in Coach..Y2 means must be on before any other non-rev. As a DW or DH you go as a Y1/F6. Meaning must ride in Coach, and priorty 6 for First Class.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

SpdBrdConcorde
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:19 am

Hey ..

Thanks goes out to NWAFA,FA4UA and Mckennasmall for replying to my for my ever post and it is certainly insightful...a good read...Thanks again

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:39 am

Have ya ever been on a flight were the cabin crew appear to be spaced out, totally uninterested in passenger service and are three fries short of a Happy Meal? That, is what ya call "Crew Deadheading".

SpdBrdConcorde
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:06 am

HA HA HA  Big thumbs up....lol....thanks

Shawn Patrick

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:33 am

Why would the airline pay you for deadheading? (not deadhead-working). Isn't it just the same thing is flying non-rev with your travel benefits? You don't get paid for that..