Skydrol
Topic Author

Experiencing Some Turbulence... On The Ground

Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:08 pm

∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

JBirdAV8r

RE: Experiencing Some Turbulence... On The Ground

Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:12 pm

IIRC I think that the complete commercial was a very funny beer ad....something about bringing home a football(soccer) team....

Interesting that the "aircraft" appears to be an Airbus and is called FBW Air  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

necigrad

Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:38 pm

Yeah, it's fake. There's a longer version floating around too.

pr1268

Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:44 pm

What's really weird is that the Space Shuttle (Columbia or the prototype Enterprise?) experienced a similarly sloppy landing when test flying (after piggybacking off the 747) back in 1979 or so in California. Something to do with an improper pre-landing flare and the NASA engineers needed to adjust the force feedback properties of the flight control joystick.

HRH Prince Charles was in attendance for that landing. Anyone know where to find more info of this flight? I saw it on the Discovery Wings channel or something.
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

litz

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:04 am

It was Enterprise during either the final or next to final landing test ...

the Shuttle, like quite a few other FBW aircraft, showed that it is easy to get into a pilot-induced-oscillation until everything gets tuned just right.

Offhand, I think I've seen on Discovery Wings, shows where both the new F-22 and the 777 had this problem during the developmental phase, maybe F117 too ... I'm sure people more in-the-know will correct me if I'm wrong ...

Remember - it *does* take time to work all the kinks out of a new aircraft, and the Shuttle only had something like 5 or 6 actual test flights (for landing).

- litz