Ever Had Emergency Landing

Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:46 am

I have had only one emergency in my whole life and I am only 16. When I was flying back from BWI, we had engine problems so we had to do an emergency landing in MIA. Do you have any stories like this.

Cheers Mike

RE: Ever Had Emergency Landing

Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:55 am

Had sort of an emergency landing in BKK on a Qantas 767-300ER in September 1996, engine failure on approach, was given priority on the approach, lots of blue lights come to greet us on succesful landing, had to adopt brace position, was quite a scary moment for me.

Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:26 am

I was flying to Indianapolis on January 4, 1971 (age 15) on an Allegheny Airlines CV-580 - N5820. The aircraft had experienced a landing gear problem at the previous stop (Terre Haute, IN) but continued on to IND. When the gear was lowered, it was clear there was a problem.

The pilot performed two very low fly-bys down runway 22, while fire and rescue personnel tried to verbally inspect the gear. When they could not determine the status, he made one more fly-by over the tower (full-flaps, gear-down, nose high). It was scary AND thrilling.

We landed and the right main gear collapsed. At about 3,500 feet down the runway, the right wing contacted the ground and we made a VERY rapid 270-degree spin to the right. We ended up face the runway at a right angle.

Our spin in the wet grass caused a few outbursts, but there were no serious injuries.

One interesting bit of trivia: Three weeks earlier, another Allegheny CV-580 had a gear-collapse on the same runway (N5828).

I have also experienced numerous aborted landings - including a DL-1011 that aborted in Atlanta AFTER the main gear contacted the runway. What a thrill!

No info

Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:11 am

one time flying NWA out of MSP for SLC...

we were in the air about 25 minutes and had to turn around and go back to MSP because of a partial hydraulic failure on our 727. pilot dumped fuel on way back. we landed safely at MSP but then had to wait to be tugged into a gate from the runway. apparently the steering was affected. anyway it was about 90 degrees out and everything was turned off. it got aweful hot in that plane before we were deplaned...!