a340pilot

Best Snappy Comeback To Rude Pax?

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:45 am

I am just curious if anyone has heard any Passengers that have been rude to Flight Attendants or CSA, and being able to hold there own composure and return with a snappy comeback?
I didn't personally hear this one but I don't think I've heard a better comeback from a CSA.................:

During the final days at Denver's old Stapleton airport, a crowded United fight was canceled. A single agent was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travelers. Suddenly, and angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket down on the counter and said, " I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS!"

The agent replied, " I'm sorry sir, I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these folks first, and I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear. "Do you have any idea who I am?"

Without hesitating, the gate agent smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. " May I have your attention please?" she began, her voice bellowing through the terminal. " We have a passenger here at the gate WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him find his identity, please come to gate 17."

With the folks behind him laughing in line hysterically, the man glared
at the United agent, grated his teeth and swore "F--- you." Without flinching, she smiled and said, " I'm sorry sir, but you will have to stand in line for that too

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

FA4UA

RE: Best Snappy Comeback To Rude Pax?

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:44 am

On two occaisions with very rude passengers I've used:

"I'm so sorry our levels of service aren't up to your expectations. Perhaps you can best be served elsewhere".

Both times I've used this line were extreme cases where a passenger had offended either another passenger or caused a crew member to cry. You know they're evil when they make a flight attendant cry!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

a340pilot

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:56 am

Damn, If I ran an airline and a PAX made an attendant cry, I think I would try every way to ban him from the flight! But a very good comeback to an Ignorant PAX, and thumbs up in keeping your cool!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

C17Glbm

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:57 am

I was on a UA flight from IAD to FRA. I believe it was UA978 leaving at 9:30pm or something close to that time. I was sitting next to a very rude and unfriendly woman who had caused the entire staff a lot of gray hair by the time she reached the gate. Once we started taxiing to the RWY the F/A asked her to please be so kind and open her window blinds. The woman replied in a very snotty matter asking the reason for her to do this. The F/A replied it was a safety precaution. The pax said that she could go and serve drinks and that she wanted to sleep and found this impossible when some "flashy light" was blinding her. The F/A in a very calm and friendly manner replied:
"Ma'am, you'll have to open your blind so that if an engine blows up we know which side to drop you out of."
The woman didn't say a word for the rest of the flight.

[Edited 2004-01-07 22:59:10]

Aviationman

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 am

This really happened on a YOW-POP flight........

A passenger kept asking one of the female flight attendants for her phone #, kept trying to talk to her asking her age, if she was busy that night (He was thinking she was overnighting in POP), inviting her for a drink, blah, blah, blah..... In other words, he kept bugging / harrassing her the entire flight.

At the end of the flight, when she was going down the aisle picking up garbage, the guy had an empty can of pop in his hand and asked her:

"Are you picking up garbage?"

She could not take it anymore and she looked at him and replied:

"No sir....sorry, I am married already"

That was a real funny one.....

searpqx

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:02 am

Back in my QX res days we'd get callers that insisted we needed to do business the way Southwest did. After the agents had given up dealing with them, they'd pass them to the leads. Several times after trying to explain that we were a different airline than WN, with a different product, if the pax still were raging about how we did business, I'd politely ask them if they wanted to hold while I transfered them to WN. Used the line about a dozen times, and never once did I lose a caller!

Rgds
Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:04 am

I witnessed this gem at CO's PHX baggage service office:

A man was missing a checked bag from his EWR-PHX flight. He stormed into the baggage office and before the agent could even ask a single question, the guy began yelling, swearing up a storm, and pointing his finger in the face of the agent. "Whaddya say to THAT?" the man snarled.

The agent calmly replied, "Sir, right now there are precisely two people in this world who give a damn about where your bag is. One of us is beginning to lose interest in the situation. Now, would you please tell me your name and give me your claim check so I can help you?"

The guy shut up REAL fast.  Big thumbs up
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:08 am

This actually happened on a Wardair flight many moons ago:

Passenger not happy with service he was receiving from the flight attendant.

Passenger: You know, if I were a magician, I'd turn you into somebody who
was efficient. (He then made a "poof" sign with his hand).
There! You're efficient!

Wardair Flight Attendant: (makes the "poof" sign right in his face in response)
There! You're a pile of shit.

globetrekker

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:09 am

As a KLM agent I got several. What i get quite often is:

"Do you know who I am?!" I reply: "No sir/madam I don't, but in your ticket and passport I see your name is John/Jane Doe, isn't this correct?". (with a blank look)  Sleepy

"I know Mr. Leo van Wijk personally!" (KLM CEO). I reply: "That's a coincidence, so do I (with a cheerful smile),  Big grin "I'll give him your regards when I see him next time!"
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

airbazar

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:21 am

Snappy comebacks might be cool in the school playground but in a business just shows a complete lack of professionalism. That's my opinion. I'm sory but if you can't handle rude passengers and keep your cool about it you shouldn't be in a line of work where your job is to deal directly with people of all kinds.

I just witnesses a snappy comeback from a NW f/a a couple of weeks ago, directed towards another passenger. Right or wrong, it put me off for the rest of the trip and I'll think twice about flying NW again.

a340pilot

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:32 am

Wow, must be some kind of record for someone to come in a attempt to ruin a thread!  Big thumbs up  Insane good job, I was actually thinking it would be at least 3 1/2 Hours but alas I was mistaken!  Big grin

Posted Wed Jan 7 2004 21:45:37 UTC+1 and read 464 times:

Posted Wed Jan 7 2004 23:21:10 UTC+1 and read 17 times:

Best reguards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

Leskova

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:37 am

Airbazar, in principle I'll agree with you (after all, in the last 6 years I've occasionally had to listen about pax telling me stories of how horrible the service on board whatever airline we booked them on was)... F/As should keep their cool...

But, then again, there is a line that should not be crossed, and - as a passenger - I've regularly seen other passengers cross that line, in other words they were extremely rude and unfriendly.

For every person there is a limit as to what he/she can or will take - and at the point where a passenger starts personally insulting a flight attendant/crew member/ground crew member (or, as in the reply by Aviationman, when a pax continuously tries to get a date with a F/A), I think they are absolutely permitted to reply.

There is a saying in German - "Wie man in den Wald hinein ruft, so schallt es auch heraus" (roughly translated to "How you call into the forest is how your call will be answered"): act friendly - or even neutral - and you'll experience friendly F/As... give them a rough time and they'll still try to stay friendly... give them sh!t, and you (not meaning you personally, but ... well, you get the picture) get what you deserve.

To all others... keep'em coming - I've had quite a few laugh-attacks on this thread already... Big grin
Smile - it confuses people!

rongotai

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 am

Airbazar - the problem is that the transaction is usually not just between one airline employee and one customer, it is usually something that impacts on everyone in the line/the gate/ the plane. In my experience abusive and angry customers are totally oblivious to the fact that THEIR way of dealing with THEIR problem is causing discomfort and often delay to everyone around them.

Therefore I FAVOUR airlines whose employees exhibit minimum tolerance for those that cross the line. They are creating a better environment for the rest of us.

That is the practical response. There is also the straightforward issue of manners. I was taught by my father that one must NEVER abuse power differentials by being rude to people who were serving you, or who you employed. There are remedies for poor service. They should never include public bad manners or the abuse of people in public.

There are some airlines (WN being one, I believe), who specifically state that they do not tolerate customer abuse of staff. As far as I am concerned that is a marketing plus. I think the belief that those providing service have to take whatever comes at them and that customers are entitled to behave as they please is crass and tasteless, and demeans any culture in which it is the accepted norm.

globetrekker

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:02 am

Airbazar-
You are completely right. In the service business you have to be professional. However snappy comebacks you'll have on all airlines, not only NW. That's because it was that particular F/A. NW doesn't approve rude behavior of their employees, believe me I know.

KLM gives all of its Customer Service Agents courses in: "Dealing with Aggression", "Handling Problematic Passengers" and "Attitudes and Motivation". I now train agents in the Caribbean in these courses. What it basically comes down to is that you have to be a good actor/actress to be in customer service. It is humanly impossible to be cheerful everyday. So you pretend that you are, with a smile on your face and the pax is happy (most of the time).

I understand that pax get mad about a situation that is most of the time not their fault, however KLM has a basic rule. The pax can rant and rave all he/she wants, but is not allowed to physically touch an agent or make any derogatory remarks, such as racial slurs or anything to do with your family. If that happens an agent can refuse to help the passenger further. If someone else wants to do it fine. But sometimes agents make a snappy comeback, but hey we are only human. At the end of the day we all sit in the office and exchange experiences about crazy passengers we had that day and have a good laugh. This is the airline business I guess.

Happy flying all,

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

aaway

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:17 am

During my days in res with UA, I got all sorts of knuckleheads on the phone. One particular evening one of those demanding types calls. His tenor is such that my headset begins to reek. Finally, he gives me an out...he theatens to call back, speak to my supervisor, and "have my job". So I said, "Sir, are you familiar with click?" Of course he didn't know what the h--- I was talking about until he heard the 'click' ending the phone connection.

[Edited 2004-01-08 00:45:19]
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

yyz717

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:35 am

Snappy comebacks might be cool in the school playground but in a business just shows a complete lack of professionalism. That's my opinion.

I agree. Rude passengers does not justify in any way, shape or form rudeness by airline staff.

I hope that UA check-in clerk got fired.......
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Snoopy

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:55 am

In principle I agree that staff should be professional and courteous. However, airline staff are not paid to put up with what is often personally abusive behaviour. If a passengers goes beyond a certain limit then they deserve to get some "feedback". The only question is, and this is the difficult part, where is the line?

There was a guy in front of me once on an EK flight from BKK to DXB. He was such a PITA and the FA was so professional. When asked to put his seat back up for take-off he was carrying on and shouting. The guy wouldn't budge. The FA left and I asked the guy whether he was really a prick or just pretending. He was about to reply and then saw how big I am (I am real big and he was real small)....the seat back was raised immediately.

a340pilot

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:58 am

ok, i feel like a tool now, I forgot that my post was About a U/A check-in clerk, and that one is going a little far..........maybe she had just gotten her pink slips, or it was her last day!  Big grin

Best reguards,
a340pilot

[Edited 2004-01-08 02:12:20]
Go! Canucks Go!

rongotai

Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:03 am

It depends what you mean by 'rude' yyz.

If you mean that an airline employee should not reply in the same way, then yes, I agree. But I do NOT agree that the story that began this thread qualifies.

1. The rude passenger was trying to privilege himself over a lot of other customers. In my experience this is often the way with that sort of passenger.

2. The rude passenger was conducting himself in a way that delayed and inconvenienced a lot of other customers. When that is the case and I am back in the queue I want the agent to deal with the situation any way s/he can. And with a person who gets in that state it often requires a shock intervention.

3. In the described case the shock intervention chosen was NOT to reply in kind (which doesn't work anyway) but to use humour to make the point and to shock the rude passenger out of the behaviour. That is just fine by me. I will never be the victim of such tactics because I never behave in such a way.

So I hope the UA check in clerk got congratulated. I have certainly myself written letters of commendation to airlines when I have seen a rude and disruptive passenger silenced using similar methods and I have been a disadvantaged passenger back in the queue.

L1011Lover

Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:15 am

A passenger on a full 757 flight kept pushing his F/A call button repeatedly almost uninterrupted for at least a minute, while we were just setting up the beverage carts to start service right away!

One of my fellow F/A´s approached the man, telling him that it would be enough to push the button once!
She then asked him if it was an emergency!
When he replied "No" and that he just wanted to have a beer, she tried to explain in a very friendly way, that this button should be used -not only and exclusively-, but first of all for some sort of emergency, and pushing it over and over again makes the crew think there might be a passenger in need of medical attention or anything strange happened to the aircraft!

The man replied something like: "The sign on the button clearly shows a server, and that´s what you are a server, and you´re here first of all to provide service!"

My fellow F/A then in a very calm manner but no longer that friendly replied:
"Sir, we do have exactly the very same button in all of our restrooms and toilets and you will definetley never see us providing any service there!!!"

That said, she turned around telling him: "You´ll have to wait for your beer until we meet your row with the beverage cart!"

Best regards,

L1011Lover

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:20 am

The man replied something like: "The sign on the button clearly shows a server, and that´s what you are a server, and you´re here first of all to provide service!"

The better reply would have been to act as if she were sniffing his breath and then said, "Sir, as you appear to be intoxicated, it's illegal for me to serve any alcoholic beverages to you," and THEN advised she would gladly get him a non-alcoholic drink once the cart reached his seat.  Big thumbs up
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

a340pilot

Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:41 pm

i think after reading this article a F/A having snappy comebacks are on the bottom of the list.......Im surprised they don't pin them up against the walls of the aircraft!

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/search/s_173222.html

<.......Whatever the cause, airline crews occasionally have to calm foul-mouthed passengers, dodge fists on flights -- or even restrain riders. Common problems include fliers who get drunk, smoke on board, mouth off and attack other people.........>

Best regards,
a340pilot

Go! Canucks Go!

don

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:03 pm

While back, I came across this somewhere.

After a long night flight, aircraft cabin lights comes on for breakfast service.

The drunk who didn`t get a good sleep: Who switched on the fxxking lights?

The Cabin crew Member: Oh, sorry Sir, you missed the fxxking lights, These are breakfast lights

Twistedwhisper

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:39 pm

Snappy comebacks might be cool in the school playground but in a business just shows a complete lack of professionalism. That's my opinion. I'm sorry but if you can't handle rude passengers and keep your cool about it you shouldn't be in a line of work where your job is to deal directly with people of all kinds.

I agree, but it seems that people that does not work in these kind of service related jobs expect those who do to be nice, professional and that they should be able to deal with what ever sh!t storm their customer throws at them.

I've been working in a customer focused profession for ten years, and I have learned that most of the cr@p you get from the customer is not aimed at me as a person, but to the company which I represent, therefore I do not take it personally.... but I read one post up here (post number 4) about the passenger that harassed the F/A and got really personal with her... that's when the professionalism stops. If the customer is getting personal, molesting or calling you the offspring from a goat and a pig (meaning your parents are/where animals) I believe that then is where I stop being professional... in fact, a remark like that I believe gives me the right to knock a few of his teeth out... customer or not.
So, I can take what ever opinion the customer might have about the service provided by my company, and I will try to help the customer as long as his/her demands are not unreasonable, i.e. if they're demanding a special charted airplane just for them free of charge because they are this and that, and then report that incident to my nearest supervisor or manager.

I heard one very fun comment (aimed at me) when I was on a holiday trip to Greece... it was a chartered airplane, so you could order stuff from the tax free shop, and the merchandises would be handed out to me on my return flight. To confirm my order I was suppose to give my signature on the bottom line of the order form... I couldn't see my name on the form, and so I asked the f/a: Do you want to be able to see my signature (what I meant was, shall I print my name of simple put my signature on the order form). She replied: Keep the pen two inches above the paper, that would be great... I think that was a snappy comment, but I did not take offense, I just laughed and signed the form....
Read between the lines.

TNboy

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:01 pm

Yep, I agree it's a lot more professional for FAs to rise above it and keep their cool.... but having said that, I think the only time I have ever heard a FA "dish it out" was to another FA (from a major competitor's airline) who was flying on the airline A because her own flight had gone u/s and she was being flown back to her base, still wearing her competitor's airline uniform.

In the middle of the meal service, she grabbed the FA by the arm and said, very loudly, "Excuse me, sweetie , could you please tell me where the toilet is located on this little aircraft, I am not familiar with it".

The serving FA, sweet as pie, just smiled and softly said, "Certainly madam, it's at the front of the aircraft on the left hand side. You can tell it by the big handle - just give it a hard tug and step through - sweetie!"

Passengers within earshot applauded and laughed, and there was no more trouble from the little smarta$$.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

artsyman

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:07 pm

While Gordon insists this isnt true, here is a nice story anyways. The employees love it, and all wish that it is true...

"On a recent CO flight, CEO Gordon Bethune had pre-boarded the aircraft and was sitting on the flight deck chatting with the Captain and First Officer. He left the flight deck just before pushback to take his assigned First Class seat.

A OnePass Platinum Elite member boarded just before the flight pushed, and was furious that he had not been upgraded. Seeing several First Class seats open, he began to argue with the flight attendant over why he had not been upgraded.

The flight attendant said she would get a gate agent to look into the matter, but the Elite member began swearing at her profusely.

Gordon was on his way back from the cockpit when this occurred, and intervened, asking, "Can I help somehow?"

The passenger said, "Huh? Who the f*** are you?"

"I'm the CEO of this company," Gordon replied. "May I see your ticket, sir?"

The passenger gave his ticket to Gordon, who saw a total fare of just under six hundred dollars. He then pulled out his billfold and peeled off six $100 bills, placing them in the man's hand.

And then he tore the ticket up.

"Now," Gordon said, "you get the f*** off my airplane!"

The flight attendant could barely contain herself."

fraT

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:08 pm

I got this story about Gordon Bethune from a CO employee a couple of months ago. Of course a F/A couldn't do such a thing but he's the boss.

Apparently he was on a flight that hadn't left yet and was in the cockpit
chatting with the pilots. Therefore his first class seat was vacated for
the moment. He comes out to sit down and there is a Platinum Elite Member
screaming at the flight attendant because he wasn't upgraded and there was,
what appeared to be, an empty seat. Gordon walked up to him and asked, "May I help you?". The passengers then replied, "Who the f*ck are you?". Gordon said, "I am the CEO of this company. May I see your ticket?". The fella handed over his ticket that read $600. Gordon whips out 6 $100 bills, hands it to the guy and said, "Now get the f*ck off my airplane.".

Moolies

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:10 pm

My mom had a funny come back recently.

She was flying from LHR-JNB on BA first class. She was travelling alone and this guy comes up to her.

He said we won the world cup.

My mom turned around and said, really and what world cup would that be?

He was stunned with what she said, he then thought she didnt know england won the rugby world cup.

He then about 30 minutes later came back and said, can I buy you a drink, those were his exact words, my mom then said back, why would u want to buy me a drink when all I have to do is push this button a FA comes and I have my own drink. The guys jaw apparently dropped to his knees. He never said a word to her ever again.

fritzi

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:12 pm

LOL FraT,

Artysman beat you buy less than a minute with the same story.  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

artsyman

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:12 pm

Frat, Read the post above yours !!!

it isnt true though...
j

fraT

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:20 pm

Artsyman,
You beat me by 51 seconds.
I had to check my older email to find it....

Too bad it seems not to be a real story.

adh214

Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:08 pm

I don't know if the story about Gordon Bethune is true. However, it should be. One of the most important parts of any job is respect as an employee. In fact in many cases it is even more important that pay. Thus, if you are a manager, like Gordon Bethune, telling a passenger to get off a plane because he is being a jerk is the most powerful message you can send to your employees. It says, "I value you as a person and no one should have to put up with this crap."

Another example, American's unions almost pulled out of their wage concession a few years ago when they found out about Carty's bonuses for executive management. By taking those bonuses Carty showed a profound disrespect for all AA employees. What we saw in that situation, was the unions would rather face layoffs and even bigger pay cuts than allow Carty to get away with the disrespect for them. Fortunately, in the end Carty did the respectable thing and left the company and the unions did the equally respectable action of taking the wage concessions. The point is if you are a manager the most important benefit you can give your employees is respect.

Andrew

broke

Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:10 pm

This event happened to an Eastern Airlines reservation agent back in the early '70's. So you'll have to recall the advertising slogans of that time.
A female reservation agent at Eastern's Woodbridge, NJ facility took a call from a man who started into an obscene routine.
In the middle of his spiel, the agent told him that he had called the wrong airline. The guy was a little confused as to the response he got and asked the agent what did she mean.
She responded with; "You should have called Delta, because they are always ready when you are!!".

TomFoolery

Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:04 pm

Greetings,

although I,m not defending defending the actions of airline representatives who belittle their pax, I do feel that if an individual lacks the social graces to conduct themselves in a civilized manor among their fellow people, the last thing one should do is to accommodate to this behavior. One should not be made to feel welcome to go into a place of business and act like a complete jack@ss, this includes an aircraft!
In some cases it may take a bit of intervention from the friendly flight staff to "help someone off of their high horse".

-My two cents

Regards,

TF
Paper makes an airplane fly

Boeing Nut

Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:10 pm

I overhead this exchange between a gate agent and a real jerk.

"sir, do me a favor, next time your run into a person with multiple personalities ------ borrow one!"
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

cadet93

Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:28 pm

One time while checking into the PRESIDENTS CLUB in EWR I was in line behind Ivana Trump.....She was acting like she owned the people behind the counter and the counter itself. They were gracious and accommodating. As she walked away and I walked up, and commented, "what a bitch" and they said well, we thought it, you said it........

akelley728

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:34 am

There's a book out called 'Plane Insanity', written by a former FA. It's full of stories of snappy comebacks, and so on. Read it, it's quite funny....

http://www.elliotthester.com/books_00.html

ZSSNC

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:06 am

Well, I heard a story (maybe an urban legend, who knows) about an incident in LH First Class:

The flight attendant was a bit chubby and so the passenger asked:

"Excuse me, but since when are cows allowed in First Class?"

The flight attendant allegedly replied: "Since farmers are allowed to buy tickets".

The story went on that the First Class passenger filed a complaint and that the flight attendant lost its job. Now, this story sounds somewhat made up. But perhaps some LH employee can enlighten us on whether this story is actually true or not.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:17 am

The flight attendant was a bit chubby and so the passenger asked:

"Excuse me, but since when are cows allowed in First Class?"

The flight attendant allegedly replied: "Since farmers are allowed to buy tickets".

The better reply would have been for the F/A to say, "Sir, you must be mistaken. The only animals allowed in First Class are jackasses."  Big thumbs up

757KSLC

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:38 am

Ok, we all know that flight attendants should act professional, and snappy remarks should be avoided. Duh, that's a given. We have been through this a hundred times, and don't need another lesson on the subject. Lets just stick to the original topic, and listen to these stories. I personally love hearing them, I think they're quite entertaining.
-757KSLC

InnocuousFox

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:41 am

"Snappy comebacks might be cool in the school playground but in a business just shows a complete lack of professionalism."

And that is just the expectation of people who are complete asses to society... for us all to lay down for them. Most of them either don't even realize their behavior is out of line or they just don't care. When used judiciously on a person of this sort, they are being told that their attitude sucks all to hell and that society as a whole is fed up with their crap.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

JAFA

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:49 am

I feel that if you are a rude person, then you serserve whatever comes your way. Respect is a two way street. I have made a few snappy comebacks whe nbacked into a corner. My best:

I initiated some small talk with 2 male passengers sitting right in front of my jumpseat. Then out of the blue they asked me what it was like being a waitress. ( I am very male) I replied that we were not waiters or waitresses, but spent a lot of time dealing with trash. This was while looking them up and down.

Goose

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:02 am

I'm surprised no-one has posted Herb Kelleher's famous comeback;

Jim Ruppel, director of customer relations, and Sherry Phelps, director of corporate employment, tell the story of a woman who frequently flew on Southwest, but was disappointed with every aspect of the company's operation.

In fact, she became known as the "Pen Pal" because after every flight she wrote in with a complaint. She didn't like the fact that the company didn't assign seats; she didn't like the absence of a first-class section; she didn't like not having a meal in flight; she didn't like Southwest's boarding procedure; she didn't like the flight attendants' sporty uniforms and the casual atmosphere. And she hated peanuts!

Her last letter, reciting a litany of complaints, momentarily stumped Southwest's customer relations people.

Phelps explains: "Southwest prides itself on answering every letter that comes to the company and several employees tried to respond to this customer, patiently explaining why we do things the way we do them. [Our response] was quickly becoming a [large] volume until they bumped it up to Herb's desk, with a note: 'This one's yours.' In sixty seconds, Kelleher wrote back and said, 'Dear Mrs. Crabapple, We will miss you. Love, Herb.'"
"Talk to me, Goose..."

InnocuousFox

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:08 am

"I'm surprised no-one has posted Herb Kelleher's famous comeback;"

I hadn't gotten to it yet.

Specifically, I think that the request on the last letter was that they either fire the FA in question or she would not fly Southwest any more... that is why he wrote what he did. It is often used as an example of how the company backs their employees.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

speedbirdyvr

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:26 am

A friend of mine is an LH FA, and recently she was working the F cabin on a FRA-JFK flight. An obnoxious pax, one of those banker types from NY, kept on snapping his fingers each time he wanted her attention. This happened throughout the entire flight. While they were on approach to JFK, my friend couldn't take it anymore and when the guy snapped his fingers one more time, she couldn't help it but reply, "Sweeite, it's going to take more than 2 fingers to make me come (c_m)!" Brilliant!!!

prebennorholm

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:50 am

Rude pax are a pain for FAs, but equally so for other pax. Here is my best story.

I was on an AF 732 CDG-CPH sitting at an A seat. On the B and C seats was a middle aged couple who right from take off began to complain why their beer was so late, why no free cognac in Y class, what a poor service at AF etc. They were a real pain. They tried to involve me, but I ignored them and looked out of the window.

The FA acted cool and very professionally. I actually couldn't believe why she didn't explode. No way could I have copied her professionalism, but then I am not educated for that either.

In the end she asked: "Sir, do you want a complaint form to fill out to be delivered to the airline management?" Sure as hell he did.

A minute later the FA handed the complaint forms and a pen to the rude couple. Then she handed one to me too, but I was looking out of the window. Then she asked: "Sir, do you want a copy too?" (She must have imagined that I was a companion to the rude couple).

I said "No thanks", and she turned around. Then a second later I said, "Sorry mam, I changed my mind, could you please hand me a form on which I can praise the crew on this plane for the very professional way in which they carry out their difficult tasks".

The FA looked at me as if I had just fallen down from the Moon. Then I gave her a big smile. She ran away while bursting into a wild laughter which she tried to hide covering her face with both hands.

For the rest of the flight - about one hour - the rude couple was sitting as cast in concrete and did not say one word.

Upon deboarding, at the door that FA met me with a smile reaching from ear to ear. She said something in French which I don't understand, but it included the word "merci" which I do understand.

Kind regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

a340pilot

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:21 am

What about if the situation was reversed and you the pax came upon a very tired and cranky F/A or CSA, that had a very bad day and they said something to you, Would you or have you ever made a calm and snappy comeback (one's that didn't get you kicked off the flight)? And to anyone that denies that there are Cranky F/a's with bad attitudes I strongly disagree  Big grin

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

drewwright

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:47 am

I had a grumpy business traveller a few months ago who wanted a Bud Light. I informed him that we didnt have any beer on the plane.
He rolled his eyes and said "Jesus Christ".
I told the man "Sir I dont think he has any Bud light either"
I then told him with the biggest s**t eating grin I could muster " Sir if you turn that frown upside down I give you two free vodka minis"
Well he didnt know how to react at first, but by the end of the flight he actually thanked me.

DRW

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:52 am

Cranky f/a's? Here are a couple of stories:

A few years ago I was traveling on a Royal Airlines flight from YMX to AVI (Cuba). I was sitting in a "C" seat and next to me.....a kid sitting in "A" and his father in "B". Before and during the breakfast service, the kid kept asking the f/a for apple juice...after she served it 3 or 4 times, the f/a looked at the father and said: Can you tell him to stop asking for apple juice....He had enough!!!!

Last April I was traveling on Air Transat from YMX to CFG (Cuba). During the meal service, once the f/a reached my seat with my meal, she asked me if I wanted something to drink. I asked her for a tomato juice. She rolled her eyes (and it was obvious), rang the call bell and asked the galley f/a for my tomato juice. I got it later after the meal service was over. When she brought it, I asked her what was the purpose of carrying tomato juice on board since it seams to be such a big deal when passengers request it.

Are Canadian charter airlines having problems serving juice?

prebennorholm

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:02 am

Dear A340pilot, what if the situation was reversed....

Well, as passengers we have the privilege that we can just ignore it.
Hell, we are adult people, we can take care of ourselves, we don't need to be nursed just because we happen to sit on an aircraft.

On a few hundred flights since 1971 I haven't experienced the "reversed situation". But should it happen one day, then I am sure that I can "survive" that much the same way as 99+% of my fellow pax.

Kind regards, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos