klmcedric

Captain Serving Drinks In Y-class!?

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:48 am

Hi everybody,

I just got back from Hong Kong on KL888 and I saw the weirdest thing.
Shortly after take-off(not even reached cruise altitude yet) the captain came
down to help us. We first provide a drink service before serving the meals.
After he had a brief chat with frequent C-class passengers(wich is actually the
purser's job) he came into the Y-class cabin and took over my job!!
He served everybody in my work area a drink as a sign of respect and gratefullness towards the pax. He told me every once in a while he likes to do this. I really didn't know what to think of this.
What would you think as a passenger receiving your drink from the captain.
Would you appreciate such a gesture or should he really stick to what he's good at and stay in his cockpit.
I certainly saw a lot of passengers with a very surprised look on their faces!!!

C17Glbm

RE: Captain Serving Drinks In Y-class!?

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:51 am

Wow. Would have certainly loved to see that! I would appreciate it as something very unusual. However, I think pax that don't fly a lot or don't know a lot about how airtravel works could easily freak.

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:51 am

LoL! I love it. What would have been a real hoot is if, when the captain came out to do the drink service, a flight attendant would grab his Captains hat (if he was wearing it) and headed for the flight deck,

nonrvsmdmf

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:57 am

That would have been interesting.

The only time I have seen a pilot in economy was on my trip last year
to South Africa. When we crossed the equator they made the
FO go through the neptune ceremony. What a riot. Poor guy
was being pushed on the food trolley up and down the plane. They
gave him a shaving cream beard, a cardboard crown and he was
holding a badly made trident. This was on KLM. Fun flight.

There were some concered pax over this until it was announced that
extra crew was on board just for this occasion.
I did not forget...I just misplaced the thought...

C17Glbm

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:03 am

I flew Delta a few months back and the Captain was in economy quite a bit.............getting peanuts and pretzels!

bongo

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:07 am

Maybe the F/A was at the cockpit in the Captain place !!  Smile
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

kilavoud

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:15 am

I would take delight in seeing the sole master on board under God of my plane serving me with a drink!!!

What is uncommon and exceptional should be more appreciated, shouldn't it ?

Cheers. Kilavoud.

spl

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:21 am

For sure I would appreciate this nice action. Normally you'll never see the pilot, only sometimes after landing or via the intercom, doing some anncouncements. As KLMCedric said, it shows some respect from the pilot to the passengers. Specially in this hard times, regular passengers are appreciating this nice move. Giving them something to drink and make a little conversation!!!

Groeten SPL

kilavoud

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:22 am

To Fight Off the Present Time Airline Paranoia :

- Captain Serving Drinks In Y-class
- Co-Pilot Pushing a Trolley In Business-class
- Kids Playing with the Joysticks in the Cockpit

Happy Contrails.
Kilavoud.

petazulu

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:29 am

Was on a United flight about 6 months ago, and the captain of the DEN-ORD flight came through the cabin and individually shoke every person's hand in the plane! That was a cool move.

DeltaGuy

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:51 am

Wow, a UA Capt shaking everyone's hands...I like that.

I know that Capt's can authorize free drink service for long ground delays, but I'd love to see em come out and serve it too...I think that's the PR airlines need. I know when I make command of my own bird, I'd want the passengers to know that I'm just a person like them...but with the stripes.

I do love the tradition of kids, or anyone else for that matter, comin to the cockpit to get their photo taken. I know one Capt who carries one of those new cellphones with the cameras in em (I just bought one for that purpose lol), and he'll take a pic of the kid, and email it to their parents right then..pretty good relations!

99.9% of the time on Delta, I always see at least one of the pilots standing at the cockpit door, biding the passengers farewell...some handshakes too. I especially like when the Capt will come and stand in the first class section, pick up the handset, and make his PA while standing in the cabin, where everyone can see him...takes a good man to make the pax come back!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

jhooper

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:17 am

I'd rather the captain just stay in the cockpit and fly the plane!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Aviationman

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:25 am

I'd be more than happy to have my drink served by the captain.... In my book, this would be called "really good" customer service! On smaller planes (i.e. Beech 1900), in Canada anyways, pilots serve snack boxes to the passengers. Trust me, it is really appreciated.

9V-SPF

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:53 am

I was once on a LH 747 flying from JFK to FRA in Y-Class and the F/O had a little chat with one of the F/A´s in front of the Economy cabin when the female passenger in front of me (who obviously couldn´t distinguish him and the cabin attendants) asked him for another orange juice. He smiled at her, rushed to the galley and served her before the F/A could have even reacted.
I think it was a very nice gesture, but that passenger probably never realized that she was served by a member of the cokpit crew  Smile

Daniel

Aviationman

Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:57 am

So Daniel... We both agree on the definition of "customer service". This was really nice!

PiedmontGirl

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:05 am

Aviationman:

On smaller planes (i.e. Beech 1900), in Canada anyways, pilots serve snack boxes to the passengers. Trust me, it is really appreciated.

He is doing this because his airline tells him to. He is not doing anyone some kind of personal favor.

DeltaGuy:

I know when I make command of my own bird, I'd want the passengers to know that I'm just a person like them...but with the stripes.

But......the Captain isn't just like everyone else on the plane. He's in command of the flight and has legal and moral responsibility for it. I don't think he needs to be serving drinks to anyone.

777gk

Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:37 am

Odds are it was a member of the relief crew. Highly doubt that the Captain or PF would have gone into the cabin to help out with drink service at such an early and critical phase of the flight. If it was a relief crewmember, it is entirely acceptable for them to do this, although on Continental it is suggested that they remain either on the flight deck or in the crew rest seats as much as possible so as not to disturb passengers who might not know better. We usually make an announcement advising pax of this, but on long hauls when I leave the flight deck to go have my self a cup of coffee and chat with the cabin crew, there are usually an alert passenger or two that have to ask if there is actually somebody flying the plane!

Back around our bankruptcies, when I was flying some smaller jets (and even the DC-10's) I would sometimes go back and thank some of the passengers in First for flying with us during this hard time. These days, it's more difficult with the lack of privacy curtains (all of Coach class would see me), but every so often I find some time to go back and say hello to the FC pax in a lightly loaded 757, though it is kind of awkward.

mog

Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:59 pm

I don't know about pilots shaking hands with everybody, and whether it is a good thing or not. I know politicians and celebrities who get very tired after shaking like a couple of hundred hands, and they can hardly autograph their names after that, leave alone try to land a jet.

Or are the big planes really flying themselves, lately?

fritzi

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:14 pm

777gk, just what I was about to say.

It must either have been a relief captain, or maybe the SO had already taken over. Im guessing that a relief pilot is required for the sector HKG-AMS.

N751PR

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:33 pm

Now thats what I call gratitude torwards the passengers! Coming out of the cockpit and helping the F/As serve drinks and chat with passengers seems like a nice gesture to do.  Smile
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

fritzi

Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:43 pm

Who knows, maybe he was dying to get out of the cockpit aswell, especiall if his ex wife was the FO and his new wife was the SO.  Nuts

klmcedric

Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:37 pm

We have indeed an SO on AMS-HKG who is allowed to take over as soon as we reach 20.000ft.

tripple7

Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:40 pm

I like it. I think it is nice to have a little chat with someone from the cockpit crew. In the past (more than 5 years ago) it was quite common on KLM on long-haul flights that someone from the cockpit crew made a walk through the plane and have a small chat here and there. Often they would ask children to come to the cockpit for a view. I always apreciated this. It shows that the cockpit crew is interested in the well being of passengers. Too bad that it is currently more the exception than a "normal" thing to do.

DeltaGuy

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:21 am

Piedmont Girl,

But......the Captain isn't just like everyone else on the plane. He's in command of the flight and has legal and moral responsibility for it. I don't think he needs to be serving drinks to anyone.

Well yes lol, apart from the command aspect, pilots are human like the rest..unfortunately, the human aspect is sorta taken away from the flying experience, it's just a voice on the PA and that's it...I think pax appreciate it then they know there's a professional looking/acting pilot up there, as opposed to a loudspeaker. They aren't gonna know who he/she is unless they see em sometime! It's like the President going over to Iraq and serving Thanksgiving dinner to the soldiers...a Captain may be "God" on that plane, he may be the baddest of the bad, but he's still a human like the rest of em, and takes time to take care of his people. (best analogy I could think of lol) I just think PR from the pilots is a good thing  Smile

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

B747-437B

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:30 am

If this had happened at an AFA carrier, there would be a union grievance filed against the pilot for violating the FA's scope clause agreement!  Big grin
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

wjv04

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:36 am

If it was a long haul flight, the captain may in fact probally wasnt the captain at the time, he was probally the backup flightcrew, with nothing else to do, so he decides to be nice, and help the FA's serve.

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:48 am

DeltaGuy:

PR from the pilots is a good thing

I agree. I just don't think it extends to serving drinks. Shaking hands, chatting with passengers, thanking them for flying with us (whoever "us" is), and all of that is very nice. Just, please, no drink serving.

The passengers would be totally unable to tell the difference between a female pilot and a flight attendant. They don't look closely enough to see the stripes on the epaulets.

Pilots do not need to be serving drinks. The airplane isn't a party in his rec room. People who serve drinks on planes are perceived as being morally and/or intellectually short changed. So, please no drink serving from pilots.

The passengers would not view the pilot serving drinks as "being just like them." They would view that pilot as being just like the flight attendants. No pilot in his or her right mind wants that.

robsawatsky

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:50 am

Talk about class consciousness!

I hope most people in their "right mind" don't judge a person's moral character by whether they serve drinks or not.

akjetBlue

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:01 am

Did that captin work for jetBlue? Sounds like what one of our pilots would do, gosh knows they come out and help clean and ready the aircraft after deplaneing

Cheers
-PhilzyMCO
Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:06 am

PiedmontGirl:

I never thought the captain was doing anyone some kind of personal favor. Regardless if he is told by his company or not...this is still good customer service.

aussiestu

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:21 am

Many FD at the airlines i have worked for have come out and helped with drinks or delivered drinks to pax when asked. Its just a nice touch and passengers appreciate it and get maybe a moment to ask something they want to know. Prior to all those FD doors being locked many FD colleagues that i have worked with have taken drinks out to pax, no big deal and probably given me a minute to do something else that i wanted to do.

'Piedmont girl' for somebody in the industry like myself you seem to place these guys and girls very high above yourself. They may fly a plane, and thats nothing special nowadays, but lovey they do everything else just like you and me. At the end of the day if the Captain wants to take over my drinks bar and deliver drinks then i aint gonna stop him. Its his plane remember and i respect him more for doing that than anything else that he may do!!!!!

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:56 am

Aviationman:

I never thought the captain was doing anyone some kind of personal favor. Regardless if he is told by his company or not...this is still good customer service.

It is good customer service. However, I have not yet seen anyone say they appreciated anything a flight attendant did for them. That's just a part of his job.

Aussiestu:

'Piedmont girl' for somebody in the industry like myself you seem to place these guys and girls very high above yourself.

I do not. However, in the U.S. the typical view of a flight attendant is a dull witted person who serves drinks on a plane and is little better than a punching bag on which to vent your frustrations. It's not an image that anyone would want. In the U.S. the job of flight attendant is not respected at all. I am of the opinion that if it became a habit for pilots to serve drinks on U.S. carriers that there would then be no one on the plane to whom anyone at all would pay attention.

For example, there is a French born F/A working for USAir who is a LOD/O qualified in several different languages. When she lived in Europe, she worked for Lufthansa. When she told her American born husband that she wanted to fly again he was horrified. He didn't want his friends to think he was married, in his words, "to a whore." It was then her turn to be horrified -- such an idea had never crossed her mind.

Foreign born F/As working for U.S. carriers are uniformly appalled at the lack of standing and status that the job of flight attendant carries in the U.S.

So, you see, it is not because I think they are better than I. I do not. I can just see the situation on the airplane deteriorating to a worse point than it is now.

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:12 am

PiedmontGirl:

I am sure you understand that Beech 1900's aircraft have no flight attendants on board. For passengers flying on such small planes and paying the big price anyway, it is very nice to be served some food and pre-packaged juice by the pilots.

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Avationman:

I am sure you understand that Beech 1900's aircraft have no flight attendants on board. For passengers flying on such small planes and paying the big price anyway, it is very nice to be served some food and pre-packaged juice by the pilots.

I understand that perfectly. I really do. I agree that it's very nice.

My question is this: If the airplane were big enough to require a flight attendant, would you like the prepacked food as much?

Before the advent of the flight attendant job, all of the drinks and meals on an airplane were served by the F/O. This is nothing new. It's just unusual in this day and age. In the very early days of aviation, passenger planes operated with no flight attendants. The drill was that the Captain flew the plane while the F/O went back and passed out the sandwiches and coffee.

The flight attendant job was created in 1932 when a nurse named Ellen Church thought it up and sold the idea to what became United Airlines. Before that time there were no flight attendants.

[Edited 2004-01-08 23:33:25]

aussiestu

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:35 am

I totally understand 'Piedmontgirl'. Thankfully here in Europe we are still respected for what we do and thankfully have passengers who appreciate us. No idea why in the US FAs are so disrespected and yet are hard working good earning positions to have, yes i know that may just be with majors and after years of seniority! Of course FDs serving drinks nowadays here is a thing of the past as we rarely see them out of that cockpit while inflight. May we one day go back to the old days of flying......yeah right!!! Thanks again piedmontgirl!

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:45 am

I know about Ellen Church. All I was saying is : It is nice to be served something on a small plane (with no f/a's...but with full fare tickets) by the pilot (sandwich box or snacks and pre-packaged drinks). It is much appreciated. What I've seen also is continental breakfast boxes or sandwich boxes available at the gate before boarding. I.E. Air Canada Jazz.... So the pilots do not have to serve it.

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:05 am

Avationman:

All I was saying is : It is nice to be served something on a small plane (with no f/a's...but with full fare tickets) by the pilot (sandwich box or snacks and pre-packaged drinks). It is much appreciated. What I've seen also is continental breakfast boxes or sandwich boxes available at the gate before boarding. I.E. Air Canada Jazz.... So the pilots do not have to serve it.

Then why didn't you say it was available at the gate? Your description of what happened made it sound as if he was supposed to serve it and that you were ever so grateful that he did his job.

I still want to know: Would you like that boxed snack as well if it were handed to you by a flight attendant?

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:16 am

PiedmontGirl:

Please relax and take the time to read and do not get too excited! What I said is I've seen it served by the pilots inflight on smaller planes....and also saw breakfast/lunch bags available at the gate.....Available at the gate which obviously makes it looks "A la American".... I saw both....at the gate and also in flight....now relax.....

"I still want to know: Would you like that boxed snack as well if it were handed to you by a flight attendant?"

Of course, better than what is being served by all American carriers on their domestic flights. Better than pretzels, pretzels, pretzels and pretzels anyway.....oh, and sometimes peanuts......

[Edited 2004-01-09 00:28:51]

[Edited 2004-01-09 00:32:37]

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:36 am

Aussiestu:

Thankfully here in Europe we are still respected for what we do and thankfully have passengers who appreciate us.

You are fortunate indeed. There was a time when it was like that in the U.S. as well.

Aviationman

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:08 am

All has to be done by f/a's...put a smile on their faces.......Show they like their jobs! It will be much appreciated by customers.

skytrain

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:25 am

Hey, I don't mind if the pilot wants to come back to the Y cabin and serve drinks, shake some hands and have a chat with everyone! Saves me the hassle / effort of trying to get up there to see him!  Smile

Cheers - Skytrain.

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:37 am

Avationman:

All has to be done by f/a's...put a smile on their faces.......Show they like their jobs! It will be much appreciated by customers.

I did that for decades. Mostly it works.  Big grin

Now.....would you like the boxed snack as well if it were served to you by a flight attendant? You are not answering the question.

Pretzels and peanuts are not in the equation. The only thing that is in the equation is that boxed snack. Would you like it as well if it were handed to by a flight attendant instead of a pilot?

Surely you must know!  Big grin

kdonohue

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:11 pm

I think it's a great gesture. I think what it says is that the Captain feels that he isn't above anyone to pass around some drinks. On an Air Mad flight last year from CDG to TNR [Antananarivo], the off-duty Captain came through the business class cabin and greeted of the passengers and then continued into the economy class cabin and greeted some of the pasengers back there. I thought it was nice that he took some time to welcome the passengers on board.

xfr8dog

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:20 pm

I think it's a great gesture, however these days at least domestically, we're basically locked in our little office. I too, used to enjoy a visit back to the cabin to stretch the legs and say hello and thank you after the meal and movie. The best I can do today is greet everyone as they board or deplane...

tcfc424

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:35 pm

I think that what this captain (or these captains) do or have done, its a great service to the passengers. On my Recent AUS-IAH-LAS-MEM-AUS trip with my wife (CO forst two legs, NW last two legs) the pilots...both of them...were standing at the aircraft entrance actively greeting the passengers and again at the conclusion of the flight, actively thanking the passengers for flying. They were also more than happy to answer any questions posed to them. As a member of the flying public, I do think that it is important to have a connection to the FD...i.e. knowing what your pilot looks like at least. On longer flights, I think its great if the CP or FO comes back and glad hands the passengers...provided an announcement has been made that the autopilot is on and functioning (haha).

As for FA's being considered less-intellectual, that is crap. Yes, some pax see them that way, but they are usually the ones who are intellectually-challenged!

My 2 cents.

Mike S. in AUS

klmcedric

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:08 am

Just to clear this up for everybody.
This was not a relief captain. As I mentioned before there were three pilots
on this leg. A captain,FO and SO.
I guess as soon as we reached FL 20 the captain told the SO to take over
for 20 minutes or so. When he went back up he took back his place because
this happened during the SO's rest time.
The captain takes his rest at a later stage of the flight.

travatl

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:19 am

As a F/A, I HATE it.

I say, they do their jobs, we'll do ours. I enjoy my job, I enjoy being with the passengers, but when the guys with multiple stripes on their sleeves start getting involved, they're usually just in the way.

I don't go up there and start changing radio frequencies and flap settings, so stay out of the galley!

Now, if they want to come out while we're on the ground and schmooze them a bit, great...but the only time they ever want to do that is if everything is running smoothly and the pax are all in a good mood. Throw in a delay of any sort, and nine times out of ten, they just want their coffee and the flight deck door closed.

- steps off of soap box -

Travis

Av8rDAL

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:07 am

I'm new to A.net and this is my first post, but I've been reading the forums and checking out photos for a couple years now. Finally scraped up the cash and decided to become a member since the material posted on this site is, I think, of very high quality.

Here's my first .02:

I think cockpit crew members serving drinks in the cabin or simply meeting and greeting in flight is appropriate under some circumstances, such as longhaul day flights more than 5 hours or so on a widebody aircraft. I'm not sure of the FARs that govern such activity though, so I won't be too assertive.

First, I think it's a great gesture of customer service that one probably would expect during the more "grand" days of air travel in the past (back when you'd find bars on 747s...). Giving pax a chance to interact with the captain or F/O would really make a great impression on me, personally. Young kids would like it too of course. It also kind of reminds me of old traditions on ocean liners crossing the Atlantic when some lucky pax would have dinner and a champagne toast with the captain of the ship. Such gestures I think would really stand out with some pax and cause them to keep flying whatever airline it is... but then there are those like that jerk in the suit in The Langoliers who could care less about anything but getting where they want to go.

Second, I think it would be a good "break" for one of the flight crew from the monotony of watching the autopilot and working radios. Taking a 10-15 minute walk through the cabin to chat for a bit while somewhere over the North Atlantic must be pretty refreshing and rejuvenating before making landfall.

I'm pretty sure you won't see this too often on U.S. carriers after seeing (and reading about) a lot of crew members who seem to not be too thrilled about their jobs. And the TSA probably frowns upon it too. Oh well. Good job KLM!

Cheers,

Brian
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

UN_B732

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:21 am

I love KLM! And this is more justification to just how wonderful an airline they really are!
-UN
What now?

Aviationman

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:54 am

Sorry PiedmontGirl, I thought I was clear. Of course I would like the boxed snack as well if it was served to me by a flight attendant. I never meant the opposite.