OrbitJFK

What Other Country Could Take Multiple Majors?

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:20 am

What other country could have multiple majors like the US? I think Britain and Canada should have another major. What do you think?

ORBITJFK

united4ever

RE: What Other Country Could Take Multiple Majors?

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:23 am

IMHO this is more equivalent to Europe having multiple majors which it does.

Mike

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:23 am

Britain already has multiple majors... as does Japan, China, Brazil, Mexico, etc

Canada tried and failed (hell, look where they are now)

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

FlyCaledonian

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:24 am

I thought the UK did, i.e VS. It may not be the same size as BA but VS certainly gives it serious competition on a number of international routes. Which other European country has that?

On Domestic/European BMI give BA some tough competetion, again out of LHR like VS. Plus don't forget U2 and FR.

Furthermore, the European market may not be as integrated as the US one, but we have our big three in the form of BA, AF and LH. I've flown KL as an alternative to BA and my parents have flown LH.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

skytrain

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:17 am

I agree, Canada definitely needs another major, or at least someone else to start running international service, for no other reason than to give people another choice besides Air Canada. I hate getting railroaded into flying with them, its something of a pet peeve.

I'm curious to see how this new airline "Zoom" does against AC. Apparently they are set to do scheduled service to Glasgow and London (Gatwick) from Ottawa, Halifax, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. They also intend to offer charter service to Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, the US, Jamaica, T&T, Grenada and Barbados. Fares are pretty reasonable too, about $500-600 CAD r/t to LGW. Service is set to begin may 2004 I believe.

http://www.flyzoom.com/

Has anyone heard anything else about these guys?

Cheers - Skytrain.

prosa

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:46 am

On Domestic/European BMI give BA some tough competetion, again out of LHR like VS. Plus don't forget U2 and FR.

Isn't FR considered Irish rather than British, the STN hub notwithstanding?

"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

POSITIVE RATE

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:53 am

Australia definitely. We used to have 2 majots for such a long time and it worked fine. Now we are stuck with 1 major and 1 LCC. We could definitely use another full service carrier here.

Regis

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:28 am

For the record: Brazil no longer has multiple major carriers. Transbrasil is no longer, VASP is on the verge of liquidation, GOL is LCC and VARIG and TAM are merging. We're down to one major carrier: the VARIG-TAM fusion.

[Edited 2004-01-09 02:39:25]

FlyCaledonian

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:33 am

PROSA, you're right that FR is an Irish carrier, but it does have a major STN hub. But that merely shows the fact that Europe is a single market, at least for internal flights in the EU. Even internationally, the fact that people in the UK think nothing of flying via CDG, AMS, FRA, MUC, etc rather than LHR shows that European majors do provide effective competition. Also, within the EU the UK has the most competitive airline market. As I said above, which other EU country has two majors?

BA took BCal out of the equation in 1988, but VS has spent the last 20 years building up an international network to the extent that it will finally compete on services to Australia, albeit by the longer routing via HKG. Likewise BMI has done the same on key routes from LHR, as I said above.

AF was able to take over both UTA and Air Inter - imagine if BA had taken over BMI as well as BCal!
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Neo

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:59 am

Untill the merge takes place (or not) Brazil still has two major airlines Varig and Tam.

Other countries that could/need use a second major are:

Australia, Argentina, South Africa, India, Russia, Canada, France, Italy, Germany.....

Rgs,

Neo

Olympus69

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:32 am

I'll believe Zoom's big plans when they actually start. Lots of other airlines have had similar ideas in the past that have failed to deliver. Then there's this Aero Falcon outfit that's planning to fly B747s from all across Canada to all over SE Asia. So far they don't even have permission to fly to any the countries they listed - or any airplanes.

skytrain

Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:38 pm

I must admit that I am a little skeptical about zooms plans too - only time will tell I suppose.

None the less I'd like to see another Canadian carrier with international ambitions get off the ground and give Air Canada a run for its money on at least a few of its routes.

Cheers - Skytrain.

maehara

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:03 pm

Other countries that could/need use a second major are:
Australia, Argentina, South Africa, India, Russia, Canada, France, Italy, Germany.....

South Africa certainly has plenty of competition on domestic routes with Comair (BA franchise) & Nationwide both keeping SAA on their toes.

On international routes, Nationwide seems to have the ambition (recently started JNB-LGW 3-weekly with a 767), but it'll be a while before we see if they can pull it off...