US653
Topic Author

How To Start A Station...question For WN Folks

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:13 am

With WN gearing up to start PHL service on May 9th, I was curious...what positions do they hire to start a new station? I know that they have been accepting applications for CSAs and Ramp Agents, but what else? For these other positions, are they internal transfers or new hires?

Just curious.

Jeff
US653...PHL-AUA...The best place in the Caribbean!!!

jjbiv

RE: How To Start A Station...question For WN Folks

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:58 am

My guess would be mostly internal transfers for a city like PHL with a few new-hires to round out the staff.

joe

SWAFA30

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:16 am

With WN gearing up to start PHL service on May 9th, I was curious...what positions do they hire to start a new station? I know that they have been accepting applications for CSAs and Ramp Agents, but what else? For these other positions, are they internal transfers or new hires?

Why don't we start at the top and work our way down. First of all you will need a station manager. Station Managers for new cities are generally either existing managers who transfer from other station to "open" the new city or lower level managers who are promoted into the position. Since most new stations open relatively small, there is generally no need for middle managers such as Customer Service Managers or Managers of Ramp and Operations. So that brings us to supervisors. You will need a handful of Ticket Counter Supervisors an equal number of Ramp Supervisors and at least one Operations Supervisor. Add to that staff at least one station accountant who sometimes doubles as the Station Manager's administrative assistant. Last but most certainly not least you will need some agents. A very rough, very general estimate is 1 per flight for Customer Service and Ramp and about 1/2 to 1/3 your number of flights for Ops agents. That would mean about 14 or 15 agents each for Customer Service and Ops and maybe 5 or 6 Operations Agents. If PHL has its own WN branded freight facility there will also be a few freight agents hired working under the "Operations" banner. As has been stated before most if not all of these positions will likely be filled by internal transfers.

US653
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:22 am

SWAFA30,

Thanks for the insight!!

Jeff
US653...PHL-AUA...The best place in the Caribbean!!!

ScottB

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:11 am

SWAFA30-

That really was a great description of the process and staffing; I hope you're not giving away too much info! I'd heard before (maybe it was from you or other sources) that WN had a pretty large number of folks originally from the Philly area who were very excited about being able to transfer to PHL. Of course, we all know that Herb grew up nearby as well.