C17Glbm
Topic Author

Your Favorite Airport.

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:27 pm

I was just curious to know if any of you have any favorite airports to fly in to or out of and what experiences made it one to remember.

dtwclipper

RE: Your Favorite Airport.

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:33 pm

'cause we went from worst to first!!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michigan Air Photos

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

futureualpilot

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:36 pm

Probably MYF since thats where I train...I love that little GA airport here.

As for the bigger airports, I like going through IAH, CVG, as well as LAx and JFK for the variety of aircraft you see.

Life is better when you surf.

wedgetail737

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:38 pm

My favorite airports are OAK (I was raised there), SFO (same as before), SJC (same as before), ICT (because I live here), MCO, LAX and SAN.

boac707

Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:39 pm

I think that I would have to say YVR is my favorite. Excellent spotting from outside and good from the departure gates. Also on a clear day the scenery is great on approach or departure.
smokey classics to the end of time

kbuf737

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:26 pm

Well.. lets be fair

Favorite destination airports

BUF - Its my hometown Airport specially since the '97 Terminal and the expansions. It even has people movers!
SRQ - Its my favorite vacation spot, and a really nice little airport.
TPA - If i dont use SRQ I love TPA. Its all about the trams!

Favorite Hub Airports

PIT - Just went there for first time last April and really enjoyed the sky mall, and the interesting terminal design
ATL - soooooo big yet the inter terminal subway ride is worth the stop in itself
CLT - two words - rocking chairs
RDU - well so much for that

The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

jrlander

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:31 pm

As a child, I always liked HNL for its open hallways and its garden. Last year, I really enjoyed flying into CDG. I was also very impressed LGW's newer terminal, where BA and Delta are. In the mainland US, I thought Denver was a beautiful airport. The new terminal at DCA is really quite beautiful and user friendly.

AirVB

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:37 pm

Denver International for pretty much everything. I only like LAX for its traffic veriety and I like HNL like Jrlander mentioned for the open-air feeling. SAN's pretty cool too.

AirVB

texan

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:43 pm

MAF, Midland/Odessa International Airport, Texas. Fun little airport to go into. Only 6 or so gates, so its easy to navigate in Smile Has a very airy feel inside the terminal, well lit, they did a good renovation job on it. It also has a couple neat little shops, or at least did the last time I flew out of there, which was a few years ago. The Confederate Air Force Museum is also on the property, and it is well worth a visit! All kinds of rebuilt old planes! It gets hot quickly in the summer though, so that's something to consider (summer out there generally lasts from late March through October or early November)
The old Robert Mueller International in Austin was another fun one! Land almost right on top of the semis going down I-35. Extremely close to both the state capitol building and UT (Hook em Horns!). Sad day when it closed, haven't been to Bergstrom yet.
And finally, ADS, Addison Airport. Great GA airport in a Dallas suburb. Flew a plane for the first time out of there, a Cessna 172 on a local flight over White Rock Lake and Lake Ray Hubbard. Cavanaugh flight museum is a great place to visit, and you get good views of the airfield from the parking lots of the businesses around the airport. That and its close to home Smile

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

BCAInfoSys

Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:45 pm

I went through SFO last week for the first time in several years, and I was once again impressed by it. The variety of aircraft was a nice change from the same ol' things I see at SEA. However, it was ridiculous that I couldn't find a place to get a simple burger and fries! I was leaving out of Gate 78, and I went to the main arterial and walked in every direction for as far as I could, and I couldn't find a Burger King, McDonalds or anything like it anywhere! lol.  Smile

[Edited 2004-01-09 06:45:16]
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

Skip7966

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:08 pm

SEA- It's my home airport
HKG (when that meant Kai-Tak)- Right side of the plane on approach couldn't be more exciting.
RNO- In the summertime that bumpy approach is like a rollercoaster without rails.

Tiger119

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:37 pm

Any airport in South Florida where the approach and departure is over the water!
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

usnseallt82

Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:41 pm

CDG in Paris will always remain my favorite international destination. But for the states, I would say that DFW holds a nice position! Although, it will be much nicer once the renovation process is done.

Sean Merritt
Crye me a river

pgh234

Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:53 pm

PIT (Just plain awesome...plus my home  Smile)
HNL (for reasons mentioned above)
OGG (same as HNL)

Honorable Mention goes to:
CLT
LIH
MSP

united4ever

Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:23 pm

Personally it's got to be CMH - I met my wife there.

As an airport, I really like ORD and CDG terminal 2E. CDG IMHO has the rare distinction of being both one of the world's best airports and one of its worst, depending on which part you use.

Mike

KAL744

Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:35 pm

My favorite departure airport is AMS, cuz I love to be early at the airport for spotting and AMS is one of the best airports in Europe fpr spotting in my opinion.

Frank (KAL744)
fly Korean Air ....

EZYAirbus

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:24 pm

For me it has to be Changi Airport in Singapore, superb airport, very clean, great layout, never get lost and was host to the worlds first airport game show  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © K.H. Ng

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aaron Liu

View Large View Medium

Photo © Calixius Casper Koh

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

tanyaluvs2fly

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:29 pm

PWM -Its my home airport
MHT - thought it was cute
MCO-Cause its warm where its located
(haha -5 today)

SRQ- I'm heading there today
Live, Laugh, Love!

garnetpalmetto

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:33 pm

CLT - two words - rocking chairs

KBUF, CAE has those rocking chairs too, except we've got 'em in the gate area in positions looking out on the runway. Excellent way to spend a delay to watch the variety of private/airline/cargo aircraft coming in.

My faves:

Of course I'm going to say CAE since it's my home. The terminal design is gorgeous as well as the design of the new parking garage. Krispy Kreme and barbecue at the food court...who could ask for anything more?

Other airports I've been to that I've loved:

PIT - GREAT design, loved the airmall, good concessions too.
EWR - Again, a great simple design but what makes this airport for me is the ease of getting into NYC using AirTrain and NJ Mass Transit.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

MarcoPolo747

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:40 pm

It's neither big, nor modern. NO airbridges, NO fancy shops, ONLY domestic flights, NO 747s, but.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Raphael Luiz Figueira de Souza

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Mogren

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fabrice Sanchez

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alexis Boidron / Aeronantes Spotters

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Cano Alva

BNA

Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:51 pm

I think my name says it all...it's my home airport.

A close second would be LAS.

DC3CV3407AC727

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:18 pm

JFK,because I grew up in its shadow and the awesome variety of aerial flora and fauna that can be seen there everything from the stray freight dog DC-3,to the late,lamented Concorde.SMQ, a little turf,and tarmac strip in NJ where I used to fly a Champ because it embodies all that is good in grass roots aviation. Finally, YIP,in Michigan,where i spent many a night and day in the cockpit of a DC3 or CV340, and where I still get to keep my round engined soul tuned flying the C47 and the B17 for the Yankee Air Force.
the rumble of round engines is like music to me,likewise the thunder of thr JT8D

Pe@rson

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:23 pm

Perhaps SIN, EXT, LPL, BRS, PLH.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

buckfifty

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:24 pm

I've always been partial to Kai Tak, not because I lived right off the IGS when I was a kid. I just miss the old terminal, I've always liked it. It was stuffy, it was small, it was crowded, but walking into the customs area and walking down that ramp on arrival...it's as if I was in a T.V. show.

Other than that, I really like Gardermoen. I've never been there, but it's one of those must see destinations for me.

dazultra

Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:38 pm

Manchester, la la la! Manchester la la la!  Big thumbs up

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dalpreet Singh

Daz.

dstc47

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:10 pm

Must admit I always like TPA, friendly people there even under pressure.
Little exciting traffic however. The poorish groundside views dont really bother me, as I am always in transit when there.

To use for transit AMS & KUL are nice places too.
MAN has good traffic, fair facilities but the absence of often any (or usually any concerned) personnel at the transfer desks is a big let down for MAN.

Most improved JFK - ex international terminal has been civilised by AMS management, from third world standards to first in one leap.

Nice for movements, but sheer hell for users - LHR

mu2

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:13 pm

N66-Oneonta NY, on baseball hall of fame weekend. Lots of biz-jets and small airport and runway. Home town.
ALB-Albany NY. closest OK airport to home town, good for spotting.
FPR-Ft.pierce FL, I only like this one because I fly out of here, yet it is a boring airport.

clrd2go

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:16 pm

MHT..I can be in the parking garage in less than 15 minutes after leaving
home.

CLT..I just love that airport. Easy to get around in, plenty of facilities, friendly
people.

NAS Not a fancy airport..but..it's my favorite destination.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

dmerinop

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:16 pm

My vote goes to Orlando intl. MCO,
does anyone agree with me?

Dani

sushka

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:17 pm

Mine are:
Moscow Sheremetyevo
Frankfurt Main
Paris CDG
New York JFK
Chicago O'Hare
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Dasheighty

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:31 pm

I like the approach into EWR the best (Also My home airport)

TTN (Mercer County)

ACY (Atlantic) Ahh those were the days were I could sit out there for hours and take pictuers of Airliners, Airforce planes practice......Wouldn't dare try it now.

LAX (From the view of the raddison Hotel you have a pretty good view)

ORF Like the sourndings

SFO

But I guess my favoriate of all time is Key West Florida (EYW)

ATA L1011

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:43 pm

LAX no doubt, it has the worlds simplest design when you enter its U shaped so you dont have to do all of that twisting and turning to get confused. Unlike say DFW, and the 2 sided terminal desing in most of the terminals is great and easy.

[Edited 2004-01-09 15:44:48]
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

BMAbound

Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:44 pm

Hmm, I'd say BMA... (what a surprise, huh?  Big grin ) Some people call it Sweden's Kai Tak, because GA planes are recommended to have four whites on the PAPI when landing due to all the houses at the rwy 30 end. It's a lot of fun!

Also, the regionals that fly there (mostly domestic, but also to Brussels and Copenhagen) are practically never late. Airport staff and ATC is great and the airport is situated perfectly.

Sadly, our hmm, "great" politicians have plans of closing it all down... Too bad ;(

cheers

johan
Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured

JUANR

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:00 am

My favorite airport in my country is, no doubt, BOG, small but still plenty of activity everyday.

From abroad I must say that JFK (Terminal 1,4), ATL and FLL.

Juan
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

KYIPpilot

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:13 am

Without a doubt, my home airport, Detroit Metro (DTW)!!!

I love seeing the sea of red tails every time I am there.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

COEWRNJ

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:35 am

For me it would have to be,

EWR- My home town airport
HNL- Love the approach and seeing all the Hawaiian Islands from the air
LAX- Love the array of differant airlines/aircraft
PBI- Love comiong in on the approach over the ocean
BOS- Only flown in there twice but the scenery is awesome
HII- Just a nice small airport. (smallest airport I have seen)

electraBob

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:47 am

Dtwclipper and KYIPpilot --

I couldn't agree more with your selection of Detroit Metro. It is just amazing how that airport has developed in the last 25 years.

I just wish you could see the entire field from the top of the parking garages. Smile
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

Thrust

Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:57 am

It was once great having Lambert as an airport for St. Louis. Now it sucks. I have to admit, if I were to choose another airport apart from Lambert, I guess I would choose Chicago O'Hare (Great spotting!) or London-Heathrow. Any airport that has heavy traffic and has giants like American and United and Delta and Continental and Northwest, is the airport for me. Before the cuts were made by AA, my love for Lambert didn't dissolve. When TWA, my favorite airline, was absorbed by American, American simply replaced TWA as my idol airline. As long as TWA's soul lives on in American, so does my affection towards it. Even though AA cut operations here, I didn't hate them for it. I was just disappointed to see them go, that's all.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

BlackJackLV

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:12 am

For me it's Chicago O'Hare.

BlackJack

n757kw

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:12 am

My favorite airport is Incheon International Airport, (Seoul, South Korea). It has a very airy feeling, lots of windows, and fairly clean. Off course it is not too old either.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

globetrekker

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:14 am

For me it's......................... that's right Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, AMS, my home away from home..
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

jeffie813

Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:24 am

PBI - my home airport
DTW - the world terminal is unbelievable
MUC - what a world class airport truly looks like

fanofjets

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:06 am

Mine is Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (PUJ). Imagine an international airport with planes from all around the world that still uses boarding stairs. The terminal, like HNL, is open air, with aromas of tropical flowers or jet fuel, depending on which side you are on. Live musicuans play merengue and bachata. This airport even has a children's playground at the edge of the apron!

View Large View Medium

Photo © TriplET
View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier F. Bobadilla - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

yegspotter

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:14 am

I agree with Fanofjets, Punta Cana has a unique quality about it that is not found in too many other places. HNL is my favorite though, for a few reasons. It's a great place to spend a few hours wandering around (through the gardens, etc.) and since it's an open air terminal, not only is the spotting great, the deafening roar of the jets is always present (I just love that sound.) Punta Cana is also an open air terminal, but HNL has it beat hands down when it comes to traffic - there's just more to see at HNL....

CO737800

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:16 am

I like YVR its a great looking airport, both inside ond out

EddieDude

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:19 am

I really like MDW and GRU.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

jobalas

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:26 am

For me, it's CDG ( of course)
after :

CPH
ARN
AMS
SFO
TLS
MAN
BKK
regards
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la Terre...

ushermittwoch

Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:31 am

My favorite airport would have to be CPH. Not only because it's the homebase of my favorite airline SAS but also because it's a nice and "cozy" international gateway.
I also have always liked TPA.
My favorite "small" airport is PIE because it was the last airport I flew a 727 from.
 Smile

Where have all the tri-jets gone...

CVGpilot

Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:11 am

CVG!!!

rockyracoon

Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:22 am

HNL- What more can you ask for? Open air concourses, it's heaven. Nothing like putting your arms on the ledge and checking out the heavies loading up to go back to the mainland, plus you hear the apu's and engines roaring.  Smile The gardens are also a plus. The reef runway departure is amazing, nothing more fitting than seeing diamondhead from the sky as your final glimpse of Hawaii.

PIT- The "X" design is the most paassenger friendly design there is out there at the moment. Simple design and layout. Great shopping as well.

DCA- Sweet approach makes for great spotting even when your not at the airport. I always get caught up checking the planes out instead while I'm supposed to be looking at the momuments. Never flown out of the airport though, seen some videos and pictures and the the architecture inside looks awesome.

peace