LEARJET23
Topic Author

NWA Senior Flight Attendants

Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:24 am

I recently took NW-1 from LAX-MNL. I have taken this flight many times before but this time I noticed that just about all the flight attendants in business were Very Old! I'm talking one lady who told me she had 41 years on the job. She looked to be about 70-75, most of these ladies were far into the late 60's Is this a union thing, or just very senior people bidding the best flights? I'm not saying it's bad to keep working so late in life, but these gals were just plain tired, and it showed.

flyboy80

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:28 am

Its accustom to see old F/As are those trans pac flights on the U.S. Majors. THose lines typically run very senior just because the time of benefits that they recieve after a trip like that. However... your talking about the age, seems a little extreme to me. I don't know that I've ever seen an F/A over the age of 55ish.

Dtw757

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:37 am

I think the oldest flight attendant to retire from NW was around 75. After 55 years of service, Bernie Epple retired I believe in 2002. The first 757-300 for NW is named Bernie Epple. So I would imagine some of the older flight attendants could be past retirement age.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

B747-437B

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:49 am

Bernie Epple retired I believe in 2002

Bernie never retired. I believe that she was on a medical leave of absence when she passed away at the age of 80-something.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

PiedmontGirl

Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:28 am

For anyone who is interested, here is a link to a picture of that NW 753 with Bernie Epple's name on it.

http://www.visitingphx.com/pnp15.html

According to the information that I could find, Bernie was hired in 1946 at age 22 and flew for 55 years. WOW!!

L1011Lover

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:43 pm

Flyboy80:

There are many many F/A´s older than 55, especially with US carriers!

These guys are mostly working international trips and just the amount of flight hours they want! Seniority is EVERYTHING in the airline business!

As far as I know, the actual retirement age with most of the US majors is 65 to get full and all benefits possible!
But as long as F/A´s pass through their annual medical examination and recurrent flight safety training, no one is forced to retire!

I remember an article about 5 TWA F/A´s called "TWA´s Golden Girls"!
They´ve been a team for over 30 years and always worked the very same flight together at least once a month!
The junior F/A in that crew had 36 years on the job, while the most senior F/A(Dolores "Dodo" Narz, a legend in the industry) who was also the Number 1 Attendant at TWA had 48 years of seniority!!! WOW!

I´ve also seen very senior F/A´s on DL! Some of them former PA employees, but also people who started with DL right from the beginning!
I think DL´s most senior F/A was Norma Webb! Not sure, if she is still flying!
She had somewhat around 50 years of seniority!
Maybe someone has any information about her?

Also the mother of a very dear friend of mine (who is a DL F/A out of JFK) started with PA back in 1960! She turns 65 this year and is still flying for World Airways!!! She´s such a wonderful and adorable lady!

I personally love these very senior F/A´s! I love to be taken care by them when travelling as a passenger, as well as I really enjoy working with them!
The more senior, the better!!!
You just can´t beat them in experience, knowledge and professionalism!
Flying is in their bones and blood!
And there is nothing like the atmosphere these veterans pass throughout the cabin on any flight they´re on!

AND one of the best examples (though she´s retired now) is right here with us: PiedmontGirl!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
She´s just wonderful! She´s my first and so far one and only respected user!!!

Well, I´m wondering if and how I´ll be like with this job in 30-40 years from now!
At the moment I do have 5 years of seniority!!!
Actually it´s not too bad with the carrier I work for! Our most senior Attendant at the moment started with us in 1972! 2 years ago some veterans of 1963/64 retired!

Best regards,

L1011Lover

Iflewrepublic

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:52 pm

L1011Lover,

It pleases me to see your enthusiasm for the industry. Though your five years is a drop in the bucket compared to that of some of the "Golden Gals", it's five years in a very turbulent industry. You've managed to tighten your safety belt and smile even bigger than before. Thank you for continuing to go to work every day. Thank you for continuing to have such enthusiasm.

May your next five year blocks take you to many fascinating places.

Iflewrepublic.

P.S. For whom do you work? (Check out that proper English grammar, kids!) I could look it up, but at the moment I'm being lazy.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

FA4UA

Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:16 pm

What's not to love about these older senior momma's (as we affectionately call them at UA)??

They fly three SFO-SYD-SFO a month and are done! They make top dollar for only working about 65-70 hours a week. At UA you'll see the most senior gals flying ORD-HKG and SFO-SYD. Those girls have seen it all!!

At UA we have a very very low attrition rate because let's face it... when you've got 35 years seniority you really don't "work" any more. You just travel out of town a few times a month and get paid really well for doing it!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

L1011Lover

RE: NWA Senior Flight Attendants

Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:44 am

Iflewrepublic:

Thank You very much for your kind words, that was just so nice of you to say!

I work for Condor, which is a subsidiary of Lufthansa! We fly 757/767/A320 aircraft to holiday destinations worldwide!
We operate both scheduled and charter flights.
We´ve also operated scheduled LH flights in the past domestically and international.

I´m based out of FRA, being 757/767 qualified.

All my best wishes,

L1011Lover

FlyGuyClt

Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:05 am

Piedmont Girl:

Bernie was the most senior NWA employee with 55 years of service. She would not retire and went on medical leave. It was common knowledge at NWA that her and the number 2 "Bob" had a long standing spat for years. She would be "damned" if he was to be number "1". She was an outstanding flight attendant and respected by all.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

cdgdtw

Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:20 pm

When I work flights to Asia, most of the crew has been with the company longer than I am alive. Currently the #1 seniority position at NW has been around 55+ years, I believe. As L1011 said, no one leaves the job after a couple decades. You choose the days to work, where you will fly and you have loads of time off. It isn't a job, it's a lifestyle.

COAB767

Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:29 pm

I Work for Continental Micronesia as a Flight Attendant and I regurlary fly the GUM-HNL and HNL-GUM routes, and I'm only 21. So not every F/A is old that flies trans-pacific routes.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

PiedmontGirl

Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:39 pm

L1011Lover:

I am really impressed by your passion for this avocation that we call being a flight attendant. It's obvious that you have great love and respect for your job and you must be a joy to work with.

If you are this fond of your work five years in, you will probably continue to be that fond of it. I hope that your trips take you to many, many fascinating places and that you will have the wonderful crews to work with that you deserve.

I also appreciate you kind words about us Golden Girls of the Sky. It is beyond nice to read such comments.  Big grin

Being a flight attendant is both a life and a lifestyle. I wouldn't have missed my experiences for anything in this world.  Smile

FlyGuy:

LOL.....I'm not surprised to hear that Bernie had a feud with the #2 F/A and wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of being the #1 F/A. I understand that UA has a similar thing going with their #1 and #2 F/As on the system. Can anyone here with UA confirm that?  Smile

I'm also not surprised to hear that Bernie was well respected by her fellow flight attendants and other employees of NW. She sounds like someone I would have been proud to work with.

Iflewrepublic

Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:28 pm

I, personally, feel that the older (classic) flight attendants are the best. They're like airplanes...if they're still flying after a couple of decades, you know they've had to have done something right. The classic flight attendants are the ones who know what service with a smile means. They're the ones who manage to put their passengers at ease. It's also a real treat to work with them, too.

Iflewrepublic.

Also, the spats between Bernie Epple (#1) and Bob Reardon (#2) were always interesting. Bernie Epple was interesting. 55+ years on the job...think of the requirements she had to meet when she was initially hired. Think of the aircraft that she helped introduce. Amazing.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:40 pm

The classic flight attendants are the ones who know what service with a smile means.

Iflewrepublic,
I agree with you 100%, although there are exceptions -- the MSP-NRT run certainly has its share of FA who seemed "burned" out by their jobs. Generally, I've had more pleasant crews on the DTW, JFK and SEA runs.

Iflewrepublic

Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:45 pm

My personal favorite NW crews are the former Republic crew members based in Detroit. They are, by far, some of the best in the entire Company.

Iflewrepublic.

Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:56 pm

I'll also agree to that  Smile (because I'm also bias! LOL). It seems like many former RC employees, especially the ones based out west, have left the company, tho. And the closing of the Livonia MI ticketing office (the former RC one) was just plain sad.  Sad

Iflewrepublic

Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:09 pm

It is sad to see what the Red-Tailed bully has done to Herman's legacy. When I first heard that the Livonia office was closing, I felt as if a part of me was going with it. The Livonia office was one of the last tangible pieces of Republic we had left. (Look at me starting to get all nostalgic.) Of course, the day we officially retire the DC-9 will be a sad day. I have two options for that day (if I'm not dead yet), first...be on the last flight, and second...take the day off.

Republic memories...make me smile.

Iflewrepublic.

PiedmontGirl

Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:14 pm

Iflewrepublic:

Hey, it's OK to be nostalgic. Happens to the best of us.....ya know??  Big grin

DTWINTLFLYER

Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:06 pm

Occasionally the reserves at NW get INTL flying. Prior to 9-11 we would get considerably more. Usually you will find at least one per Asia flight out of DTW. It obviously is a seniority thing.. why not (3 3 day DTW KIX trips a month and you are done for the month.

It was really bad when we had the 3 day add pattern DTW PEK. That trip was worth almost 28 hours. I think that overall our crews, dispite age (whether young or older) provide a genuinely nice, polite, and sincere service. We have always managed to do the most with the least and that just continues to happen. Don't forget, when we only get 11 or 12 FA's for a 744 flight it is hard. 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs in BC, and that just leaves 7 or 8 for MC. ......But live is what you make it....you just gotta drive on and do the job with a smile! After all, we do have a great job.

LEARJET23
Topic Author

Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:17 am

I respect our older people, what ever they do, However, I fly first or business class 12-15 per year in asia, And as a middle aged american I am so happy when the inter asian crews out of NRT or KIX take control! they are fresh, young and beautiful! And have a real desire to make an impression, and all this at about 1/3 the salery the American persers are drawing. I had the pleasure of having coffee with one young lady out of MNL who flew inter asia for NWA, and told me she and her crew members were forced to retire from flying by age 36. She was married and was never expecting to retire from NWA, but felt like the option should be there for all. Thanks for reading this !

Dtw757

Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:29 am

I flew home from FRA on a NW A330 last month. The gal working in our section actually flew with North Central. Really a nice lady. She lives in FL now and commutes to DTW for duty. I thought that must make for a long day, a trans-Atlantic flight working and then a flight home.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

djon1114

Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:36 am

hi

not being funny or anything but i think they ought to be 50 at the maxamun age

regards

D

AZAFATA

Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:32 pm

I remember when I worked at NWA ( 1999-2002,until they didnt need me anymore ),I used to get those trip to MNL and Asia on reserve and I have to tell you, I felt as if I was still wearing dipers. I was 23yrs old back then and on most trips the youngest person was about 20 -25 years older than me, I felt like I was going on a home care field trip. I never had any problems working with them, they have a lot of experience and they know what they are doing but most of the time I would be on the other side of the world with nobody to go out or see the city, they are tired ,they just want to get to the hotel and sleep the entire layover,so I had to find the fun places by myself. I strongly believe there should be an age limit for F/As just like the pilots but I dont think thats happenning anytime soon. Oh,,and another thing,,some of them complain so much it makes me sick !!!!! If you dont like it, QUIT !!! so the new generation of young, fresh faces F/As can change the airline image.

jetjack74

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:35 pm

Azafata,
I agree with you about what is like to fly with some of these ladies. I'm a seven year FA with NW, and still get treated like I just graduated initial training. It seems when I work these trips I get this immediately, "Are you new?, or Do you know what you're doing?" which es me off. we haven't hired since 1Q of '01, how can I be new? And then they like to fill me in on their hotflash timetables, which for a guy is more info than I need, or want to know. I flew a 4 day domestic back in April with this one lady who only flies 3-day NGO trips. This lady was in such bad shape physically, she could barely make it past the partition on the DC9, she couldn't bend down to arm the girt bar because her knees were so bad. That was when she asked me to arm and disarm the Door 1R because there was nothing for her to kneel on. She would leave the galley service dor armed after arrival and have me disarm it for her, meanwhile catering was outside, only minutes from opening that door to re-cater the aircraft. She had to sit on the inboard side of the jumpseat with her legs straight out during takeoff and landing. She's had both hip replaced and still can't walk, and both knees are damaged beyond repair. She is literally falling apart, and that even passengers were making comments to me about her. I passed a message along to a manager about her, but apparently she's still flying. I saw her in the terminal a few weeks ago boarding a flight to Asia. And she says that she's going to continue to fly for another 9 years. But she is nice. Well unfortunately, there is more to this job than just being a nice person. You have to be physically, and mentally up to the job. And you have to be in complete control of yourself when doing this job. Being an FA takes more than just knowing how to serve customers there food and drinks, it's also about knowing when the time is right to step down out of the job, and walking away. I'm not saying everyone of the senior people are like this, but there is a few who fit this profile. Safety is the primary job of flight attendants, and if you are physically unable to perform, than you are putting everyone and yourself at risk.
Made from jets!

Iflewrepublic

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:44 pm

WHOA!!!

Bernie's back??? I thought that old gal is one of the dearly departed. (God, you may strike me dead for making such a crack comment.) Before you can say that these people need to retire, you must fully understand what these employees have been through. If she's a Republic employee, odds are she doesn't have a pot to pee in when it comes to retirement. It's sad, but true. A lot of them are waiting for the day when Social Security really kicks in for them...others are waiting for the day they'll be carried out via stretcher.

My question for you...why didn't she switch stations with you? I already know the answer, it's painfully obvious...If she couldn't arm and disarm the doors herself, she should have taken the aft jump seat.

Iflewrepublic.

PiedmontGirl

Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:50 pm

Jetjack74:

This lady was in such bad shape physically, she could barely make it past the partition on the DC9, she couldn't bend down to arm the girt bar because her knees were so bad. That was when she asked me to arm and disarm the Door 1R because there was nothing for her to kneel on. She would leave the galley service dor armed after arrival and have me disarm it for her, meanwhile catering was outside, only minutes from opening that door to re-cater the aircraft. She had to sit on the inboard side of the jumpseat with her legs straight out during takeoff and landing. She's had both hip replaced and still can't walk, and both knees are damaged beyond repair. She is literally falling apart, and that even passengers were making comments to me about her. I passed a message along to a manager about her, but apparently she's still flying. I saw her in the terminal a few weeks ago boarding a flight to Asia. And she says that she's going to continue to fly for another 9 years.

It is way past time for this lady to retire. No joke. A little light should have gone off in her head years ago that the time had come. Nine more years is literally impossible for her to do. She can write a book, do volunteer work, or any number of things to make her life pleasant. Hell, she can even get those knees replaced and go to the YWCA and partake of their water aerobics program -- just wonderful for people with joint and hinge problems.

There's a time to go and it's before you become a parody of yourself and then turn into a hazard.

PiedmontGirl

Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:27 pm

Iflewrepublic:

If she's a Republic employee, odds are she doesn't have a pot to pee in when it comes to retirement. It's sad, but true. A lot of them are waiting for the day when Social Security really kicks in for them...others are waiting for the day they'll be carried out via stretcher.

This is the position that the former PSA flight attendants are in with US. One of them figured that she would have to fly until she was 72 in order to get a pension. So, these ladies figure out what airplane and what position is easiest for them to handle and they fly that.

jetjack74

Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:40 pm

Why didn't she indeed, iflewrepublic? This someone who is not thinking straight and clearly is disregarding safety. I would've taken lead for her, but she had no intention of giving it up to me. She was a little bossy and very territorial. We got into a little discussion over her situation, and she immediately went on the defensive. She sad that had to keep working, because her husband has lung cancer. When she wasn't giving me her life story, she herself was sucking down on cancer sticks at the smoking rooms at the airport. Now explain that one to me. She was a lifetime redtail, so the Republic excuse is not a position for her. She's been flying for 37 years. Completely irresponsible. Just like the Bernie/Buddy seniority dogfight those 2 morons carried on with. I'm not saying all senior people are like that, but we do have a few out there who need to move on. I mean, maybe i'll think differently when I reach my mid sixties, but I doubt i'd risk the lives of 403 passengers just to prove points to people. It's not easy to walk away from something you love to do and they all seem to have the same sob story, but they all can't be having the same family health tragedies. If they are, that's why we have Medicaid for the poor, and medicare for the elderly, which she fit both of those catagories
Made from jets!

FlyGuyClt

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:28 pm

Folks:

Yes there are some nasty old ones out there. But without mentioning last names, there are some gems that are physically fit and run circles around so many.

Lyn: Always flies MEX turns. OUTSTANDING. Seniority 41 years. DTW
Peggy: Purser, flies the Pacific. Seniority 41 years. DTW
Judee: LAX to NRT. 35 years.
Sally: Purser, flies the pacific. Seniority 30 plus years DTW. Also a Presidents
Award winner for her outstanding leadership.
Gloria: Flies to Ft. Walton Beach. 30 plus years MEM. The military frequent
fliers now her by name. She uses humor and hairspray !  Smile

These are just a few. NWA has some gems that I would miss if they left. However, yes there are some that need to take retirement. But, I just had to say. We do have some outstanding senior flight attendants out there, who do the job and are quite capable.

Safe Flying  Smile

PiedmontGirl

Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:26 pm

Jetjack74:

I thought you were talking about a woman in her seventies. You're talking about a woman who is in my seniority bracket. I am guessing that this woman is no older than 60 or so.

I know a number of women about that age who have had both hips and, sometimes, both knees replaced. It is a common practice for HMO doctors to prescribe steroids for arthritis. All steroids do is mask the symptoms and cause bone deterioration. Steroids are cheap so they prescribe them instead of the good stuff like Vioxx, Celebrex, and Relafen to treat the joint and hinge problems that are common among flight attendants. The youngest woman I know who is suffering from the steroid treatment of arthritis is only 53. She's going to have to have both hips replaced. She's hoping to get to be in good enough shape to be able to fly until she's 55 so that she can retire.

See, back then airlines wouldn't hire a woman who was older than 26 to work as a flight attendant. They generally liked to hire women who were 21 or 22 years old, so I am thinking this woman is right around 60. That's way too young to be in that kind of shape, so I am guessing that she had some help from steroids.

FlyGuy:

The majority of very senior flight attendants are very capable. There are a number at any airline who need to take retirement, but for the most part these women do thier jobs in an admirable fashion.

[Edited 2004-01-13 15:34:20]

cdgdtw

Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:22 am

I have to submit my agreement with IPate and INTflyer . . . the former RC employees are the best. One can tell straight away who was Republic or NWO. The Republic crews tend to be lots of fun and easy going. Not to say there aren't some great old NWO crew, my experience has been that the blue tails are keepers.

jetjack74

Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:03 pm

Flyguyclt:
"Lyn: Always flies MEX turns. OUTSTANDING. Seniority 41 years. DTW
Peggy: Purser, flies the Pacific. Seniority 41 years. DTW
Judee: LAX to NRT. 35 years.
Sally: Purser, flies the pacific. Seniority 30 plus years DTW. Also a Presidents
Award winner for her outstanding leadership.
Gloria: Flies to Ft. Walton Beach. 30 plus years MEM. The military frequent
fliers now her by name. She uses humor and hairspray!"

I've flown with a few those mentioned above. I was based in MEM for a short time, and remember that for Gloria's 35th year anniversary with NW, They had poster of her in her Southern Airways uniform. From what I recall, she looked hot. Of couse they all were back then. But look at her nowadays. It's hard to believe that's the same person. I never had to fly with her, but some have told stories of what it's like. From what I understand, She like's to bust your chops to see how much you can take, and then when you've had enough, then she backs off. That's just what i've heard. Sounds like fun.
Made from jets!

FlyGuyClt

Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:02 pm

JetJack:

The first time I flew with her she did infact try to give me grief. I looked at her dead in the eyes and said " don't make me mess that hair up. " Since then we always laugh and have a good time. One year we almost got kicked out of HOT training for laughing to much. She is a real gem. Yes she used to look "hot" and she was infact a "bunny" at the Playboy club in ATL many many years ago.

Safe Flying  Smile

Iflewrepublic

Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:08 pm

SOUTHERN's girls were (and still are) some sweet kick ass women. It's amazing, some of them still have their big hair. Then there's the North Central boys and girls. For the most part, they all have that corn fed Minnesota look. It is true...you can definitely tell the difference among the Republic crews the the Northwest Orient crews. The horrific thing to witness, however, was how they both reacted to each other immediately following the merger. There are still some pockets of animosity in the company, but good lord...talk about lack of professionalism...

Iflewrepublic.

FA4UA

Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:04 pm

PEIDMONTGIRL: you're right, UA had the same bitterness between #1 and #2 seniority. I've heard so many stories about these two!

One of the best was when #1 commuted in SEA-SFO in the afternoon to work the 11pm departure to SYD. Rumor has it that she went into the crew lounge, fell asleep, woke up, walked back downstairs to the first SEA flight and flew home. The crew desk rang her up a few hours later to see where she went and she told them that she had already worked that flight! Frightening!

I have heard that she and #2 retired in this last big wave last summer. More people retired that summer then ever in the history of UA. More proof that being a Flight Attendant is a lifelong career!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

PiedmontGirl

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:14 am

FA4UA:

Thanks for the information. I had heard about that feud for years.

US had a bunch of F/As retire last Summer, too. In the next few months there will be another large group.

And, yes, it has become a lifelong career.

Jano

Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:30 am

My first op ug to WBC on AMS-MEM a week ago, and the FA was at least 65 years old. She was a nice lady and got the job done. But still, somehow I was thinking the crews would be younger.

Wrong expectations. We are no more in air travel romanticism age Smile

Prehistoric air travel age: before WWI
Medieval air travel age: between WWI and WWII
Air travel romanticism age: 50, 60, 70ties
Cruel contemporary reality:2003
The Widget Air Line :)

Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:33 am

Jano,
Welcome to a.net stranger  Big grin.

FlyGuyClt

Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:44 am

Jano:

65 huh? Must have been a weekend. Sounds like a junior crew to me.

Safe Flying  Smile

LONG LIVE BIG HAIR and the Memphis Southern Serivice with a smile !

Jano

Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:37 am

IP, thanks! Glad to 'see' you again Smile

Flyguyclt, I'm not complaining. I only wanted to point out that there is a big difference between what non-flying public thinks (al least my buddies who do no fly as much as me) about air service and reality.

Me, personally, I'm more that satisfied with NW/KL crews serving DTW-AMS and MEM-AMS routes. ...and I'm a Y flyer only.

IP, I have yet to meet Sophie though Smile

flyua

Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:04 am

Dear PiedmontGirl and FA4UA:

I'm a San Francisco-based United Flight Attendant. While I haven't had the pleasure of working with Iris, our #1-senior flyer, a few of my friends have.

First off, she will soon be turning 83 years old, apparently. She has no less than *56* years of seniority, having joined United in 1948! As I understand it, she holds the record as the world's longest-serving Flight Attendant. Rumor has it that she does not plan on retiring until Delta's #1 flyer, who has close to 56 years of seniority herself, finishes first. They are both gunning for the title of longest-serving Flight Attendant in the Guinness Book of World Records, or so I've been told!

Friends who have worked with her say she's a piece of work! While she's still pretty "sturdy" (she has no trouble bounding up the stairs to the B747-400's upper deck), her neurons are apparently no longer firing at full power. One friend told me about a recent flight to Osaka on which no one wished to work with her. The B777 flight was understaffed by one F/A, which meant Iris --who always works as the Chief Purser -- would have to work exclusively in First Class. The F/C galley position, which usually is worked by the most senior among the crew, apparently went to the most junior reserve, as the crew expected Iris to make a mess of things during the service. She can only handle one task at a time -- not what one expects of a Purser! -- so staging an elaborate international First Class service is beyond her abilities now.

On another flight to Beijing, Iris collected the passports of the entire crew to give to Chinese customs officials -- as is required of the Purser on flights bound to the P.R.C. -- stashed them away in a secure location, and then forgot where she'd placed them! Upon arrival, the crew was held onboard by the Chinese authorities until the aircraft was searched and the passports found.

On yet another flight, a minor mechanical problem occured which required the Captain to issue a "cabin advisory" to the Purser. In such a situation, no emergency response is expected of the cabin crew, but the Purser is required to immediately inform the rest of the crew of the situation and adjust the inflight services as necessary. Well, after being briefed by the Captain, Iris apparently went back downstairs, had herself a little snack, and then went on her rest break. The crew was never notified, and the Captain was livid! He reported Iris to management, and she was removed from her Purser role until she was retrained and tested in safety issues.

Last I saw her, she was back on the job, still wearing her diamond-studded Purser wings! While she is certainly respected and admired for her longevity, many among us do wish she would know when to say "when." That's the all the gossip from United's SFO domicile!

flyboy80

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:13 pm

TWA always seemed to have the most senior crews!!!!!!!!

PiedmontGirl

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:32 pm

Flyua:

Hi! And thanks for the report. I have a friend who is married to a UA Captain, and I've heard stories about this lady for the longest time. I've heard that her neurons are not firing in quite the right order these days.

I understand that one Captain has a little side briefing with the rest of the F/As and tells them that if anything happens to just pick this lady up and send her down the slide straight away. I don't know how true that is, but it sounds reasonable to me.  Smile

Heavens, this woman has been flying as long as I am old. And I'm retired. I think it is time for her to say "when," and she is just loathe to do it. Maybe when the lady at Delta retires, she will, too.

At this point, flying is not just her life, it's her whole life. Ya know?

FlyGuyClt

Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:30 pm

Jano:

I know you were not making a jab. I just have dry humor. So please don't take offense to it. Many Thanks for flying NWA. Who knows you may have seen me on the DTW-AMS run.

Safe Flying  Smile

Jano

Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:29 pm

Flyguyclt

No offense... How about 07MAY2003 NW 0053 AMS-DTW (I have been flying more MEM-AMS lately), very good purser, very efficient, courteous and organized crew judging by those working the port side of front of Y class, had to send a letter of compliments to the company.

Jano

FlyGuyClt

Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:21 pm

Jano:

Usually leave DTW for AMS on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. So we will probibly pass in the wind unless I am finishing up a 6 day AMS and BOM trip  Smile

Safe Flying  Smile

Enjoy the A330 !

JAFA

Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:08 am

Flyguyclt, I don't how you can work those Europe trips. They totally wipe me out. I have tried all the suggestions and my body just can't take it. After working all night long, I simply melt into my bed. I have only left my room once on a European layover. Another time I was going to take the train into London from the old layover and I was literally falling asleep while walking, so I turned back and went to sleep. I remember the time I picked up a LGW from open time and was excited that I could pick up an intl, then I traded it away to avoid working it. I am only in my 30's, so kudos to you senior babes/babettes who work those trips. I can do Asia much more gracefully. Also I am back in DTW and senior on reserve. NYC ready reserve was wonderful for me, I never flew AMS only NRT. See ya in DTW.

FlyGuyClt

Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:52 am

Jafa:

I am only 36!!!!!!!

Start 15 years with NWA next month. Usually the most junior on those trips.

Safe Flying  Smile

flyboy80

Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:46 am

Do NWA F/As get the privilege to work both domestic and INTL trips? I know UA changed their system in 1998 and just had one pool of F/As for both divisions. Also, does NW encourage you guys to take classes...etc on foreign language speaking, Asian customs...etc? I would assume that you guys would work through NRT on NRT trips to other Asian destinations, or do NRT-ASIA flights get staffed by NRT based F/As?