yanksn4

Why Did KE Leave Denver?

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:05 am

I was looking through the data base yesterday when I found some photos of Korean Air here in Denver. Unfortunately, since they no longer have service here, why did they leave Denver?
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

flashmeister

RE: Why Did KE Leave Denver?

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:06 am

Awful loads, as I recall. Poor flight timing may have had quite a bit to do with it, too.

dia77

RE: Why Did KE Leave Denver?

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:23 am

A few reasons led to KE's departure from DEN. KE flew a 744 Combi on the route and sustained the route with cargo. There is/was a large amount of freight in the Colorado-Korea sector. With the downturn of the asian economy, cargo alone didn't make the flight very profitable. KE also did a poor job of marketing flight. The fact that it was a onestop flight via LAX (and later SFO) didn't provide much incentive to customers travelling from DEN to SEL. Denver passengers clearly preferred a onestop connection on UA where they could accrue their mileage plus points, than a onestop flight on KE. My family used to fly the KE flight quite regularly from Denver (en route to India). Typical loads on the DEN leg of the flight were around 100 when I was on the flight. If KE tried a nonstop DEN-Incheon flight with a 777, I think it could operate successfully. It was always very nice seeing that blue giant parked on concourse A at night.