A Couple Of Cargo Airlines Questions...

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:23 am

Q#1. Do the cargo airlines such as FedEx and UPS use the baggage/cargo bins (727, MD11 and DC-8 kind of planes) besides the main cabin which carries the containers/pallets?

Q#2. I know that on board some flights there is a box or case with juice and soda for the crew. Is this standard for all jet flights -regardless of flight duration-? Who brings these goods to the plane, a caterer or some designated employee? What a long flight meal consist of?

Thanks a lot !
RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

RE: A Couple Of Cargo Airlines Questions...

Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:59 am

I am not sure about Q#2 but the answer is yes to Q#1. It is for this reason most main deck cargo doors (with the exception of the nose on the 747F) are on the left side which does not interfere with lower deck loaders on the right side of the aircraft. With narrowbody freighters (727, DC-8, etc.) the cargo in the lower bins is loaded piece by piece using belt loaders. What I don't know is if with a less than full load they would prefer to use just the main deck or just the lower cargo hold. Maybe someone knows the answer.
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:30 am

Q#1-we try not to use the lower holds for cargo, but do for weight reasons. Also, if a cargo container is loaded with cargo and is found to not be able to fly, it's easier to place that cargo into a lower cargo hold then into a new can, reweighed and placed above deck.

Q#2-yes, there is water provided to all crews at UPS regardless of duration. UPS has it's own water it has employees place on aircraft. Other catering is provided by caterers and is brought to the plane and a supervisor usually signs for it and places it on the aircraft. Contract planes (like World and such) don't get UPS catering, they secure their own catering.

Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:09 am

In the post-September 11 world are cargo companies still allowing jumpseats? Might have heard somewhere no offline j/s currently but wanted to double-check.

Even as a Flight Attendant (121), I could ride on some cargo haulers like Polar, Emery and others. Came in very handy sometimes. Is this still allowed?

Just returned to active flying after 3+ years doing consulting so I am catching up on all my travel options.

Thanks in advance.

Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:07 pm

I know Fedex loads bulk cargo in the lower pits.

Do you work in SDF?

Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:48 pm

We stuff cargo into every place you can on the aircraft. When dealing with boxes, you normally don't have to worry about exceeding the max payload since they don't weigh a whole lot. The Airbus and DC-10/MD-11 aircraft have a main deck, a fwd and aft cargo compartment for LD3 containers or pallets and a bulk compartment in the back. We try to not use the bulk compartment unless everything else is full or in the case of the A310, you need to get more weight in the back of the aircraft for CG reasons.

Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:58 am

For safety reasons some (restricted/dangerous) cargo must accessible by flightcrew, others must be loaded in the lower holds. This regultion is basically the same as pax a/c, but differ if CAO is handled. CAO stands for Cargo Aircraft Only. The difference is mainly the amount of the dangerous/restricted cargo. Very dens/heavy cargo will be loaded on the maindeck due to the higher max floor allowances (floor strenght, running load)