dc863

Who here amongst is a pilot for a major carrier?

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:03 pm

Who here amongst so many is lucky enough to be a pilot for a major carrier? How long have you worked for your carrier and of course what do you fly?

usnseallt82

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:13 pm

My major carrier is the United States Navy, on the 18's. Although, I would prefer a good Delta or American flight attendant any day! Cheers!
Crye me a river

nightflyer

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:35 pm

I fly for FedEx and I'm currently a first officer on the MD11/MD10. I've been with the company for two and a half years.

Living the dream!
NightFlyer

dc863

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:36 pm

Have you started transitional training to the new Super Hornets?

usnseallt82

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:42 pm

Yes, actually. I'm getting geared over for a rear in the 18E, which will be a blast. In fact, it will be a nice transition since the interior package with the new 18E's is more complex than ever before, so if ole' Goose in the back can handle the radar tracking, it will be a lovely flight for all!

Cheers!
Crye me a river

usnseallt82

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:44 pm

NightFlyer, I tip my hat to you! It has always been my dream to switch to FedEx for as long as I can remember. Especially during the good old days of stocking those lovely 18-wheelers and the Caravan Feeders through college! Of course, by the time I'm out of my service commitment with the Navy, you guys will be operating the new A380's so I will definitely keep trying for it. But, as far as your position goes, well...if you're ever in Pensacola, I'll buy you a round any day.

Cheers!
Crye me a river

dc863

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:48 pm

So Navy you don't want to be the GIB huh Smile

usnseallt82

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:51 pm

Haha, I'll take my spot in the air in whichever seat Uncle Sam sees it fit to place me in. Although, a stick in my hands when swirling around the flight deck sure is inviting!

Cheers!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Crye me a river

futureualpilot

Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:57 pm

Usnseallt82, you have my dream job! One day I want to piloting an F-18 (or any aircraft for that matter) for the Navy.

I was wondering if I might be able to e-mail you a few questions, if so, I would appriciate it very much, if not, no worries!

Contact me at etflies@hotmail.com if it is ok.

Thanks again and clear skies,
futureualpilot
Life is better when you surf.

DeltaGuy

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:01 pm

That makes two of us...if you want something bad enough, rock on, cause nothing can stop a future Hornet driver  Smile

And yes, GIB's, NFO's, RIO's, WSO's, whatever you want to call them...definately not logbook time for the airlines to look at!  Big grin Keep it in the front seat, Mav  Smile

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

futureualpilot

Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Deltaguy, I know about the GIBs and whatnot not being able to log that time towards the airlines, so yes I want the front seat, but unfortunatley I dont think Id have too much control over that. I really just want to know what I can do to better my chances of becoming a front-seater.

Best of luck to you, and dont give up!

Clear skies,  Smile
futureualpilot

relating to the topic posted:

My uncle is a Captain with American Airlines, on the B757/767, and has been there around 18yrs.

[Edited 2004-01-11 07:08:37]
Life is better when you surf.

usnseallt82

Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:09 pm

Thanks for the advice Delta! As far as I'm concerned, I won't be halting my front seat drivin' attempts anytime soon!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Although, those are naturally the most sought after, as I'm sure you very well know. Hopefully staring at the sun won't hurt my eyes in the near future!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Of course, if FedEx doesn't sign me on when I leave the fleet then your carrier is my next choice...especially with their unwritten preference to ex-military flyboys!

Sure, please email me anytime with any questions you may have.
usnseallt82@yahoo.com

Cheers!

Sean Merritt
Crye me a river

SWAbubba

Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:45 am

Usnsealt82,

I'm a little confused... what exactly is it that you're doing in the Navy now?

As for the original question, I fly 737-3/5/7's for WN and have been there one year.

SlamClick

Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:01 am

NightFlyer

I've always wondered. Do FedEx pilots complain when they have to go to the simulator during daytime? "How do they expect a guy to be sharp at that hour?"

I turned down FedEx in 1974. I saw that they already had half a dozen Falcons and I knew they were not going to get any bigger. And who wants to live in Memphis?

What a chump!

After I retire this year I may answer the question in this thread. I've had a great career! Got to do everything but make money.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

flymia

Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:49 am

Hey These are a few questions for SWAbubba and NightFlyer. How old are you now? At what age did you start flying?
If you did not go the Military to get hours how did you get all the Turbine hours you need to fly for SWA and Fed Ex?
I really dont like fighters so i dont want to go the Military even thourgh i could be lucky and get a refueler ETC...
I am only 14 plan to start lessons at 16 and get PPL at 17 early 18. I want to go civil way to make hours some how. Thats why i asked the question. To have a chance with a regional i need atleast 300 Turbine and 1300 in total time. Another question do all those hours you need have to be pilot in command. How many hours did you have when you started with the Airline. Thanks You! I know it is alot to answer.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

usnseallt82

Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:04 am

SWAbubba, I'm currently under NFO designation for the Navy with PIC time in the 18's. So, as any good 'Goose' would do, I'm seeking re-designation with NA status. Although, I wouldn't mind having some long-haul experience in the Navy's E-6 fleet, out of Tinker AFB. I'd love to get the MEM-CDG route one day with FedEx, but I'm not picky!

Cheers!
Crye me a river

SWAbubba

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:14 am

Flymia,

I'm 34 years old and started flying at 23 with the Navy. Don't worry too much about job qualifications yet, everything will change by the time you get the hours to look for an airline job. Just start working on that PPL and building hours, everything else will happen in its own good time.

My new hire class at SWA was exactly half military and half civilian. The civilian pilots came from regional airlines, corporate aviation, and other major airlines. There is no one best way to get to a major airline job, many different types of flying will get you the experience you need.

Good luck, it's a great job and is worth all the hard work it takes to get here!  Smile

USNsealt82,

You mean stick time in the -18s, right? PIC implies you've completed a NATOPS checkride as a pilot in the aircraft.

Anyway, good luck with the redesignation. I know quite a few pilots who used to be NFO's. The Navy shut down the NFO-to-pilot transition while I was in, I always thought it was a dumb thing to do as we had lots of great NFO's who would make fantastic pilots if given the chance.

I flew E-6's, it's a great aircraft but a pretty boring mission. I had a good time and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Fly safe!

flymia

RE: Who Here Amongst Is A Pilot For A Major Carrier?

Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:16 am

Thank You SWAbubba. Your right i should just go one step at a time. Or on license at a time. Once I get that ATP i will start worrying about hours. maybe go to one of those good flying programs and work with a corperate airline for a few years. I dont know well see where i am. Hope to see you in the sky. Hey you never know maybe even your FO. !LOL!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

usnseallt82

Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:23 am

SWAbubba, yeah, I've already completed my NATOPS, but that was during the time when they thought they NEEDED pilots. Sure enough, times have changed. Lucky enough, the Navy has actually reinstated the re-designation boards for the NFO-to-pilot section and meets these days about 4-6 times per year. So, if I play my cards right, who knows!

But it sure is nice to hear of an E-6 pilot! I've been wanting to fly that for quite a while. The speed gets old after a while, yes yes I know this will be contested, but practice in some heavies sure does sound good. I would do just about anything to get a spot in the Mercury, but what are the odds of that? Actually, if you know this, about how many guys request the E-6 during API? I'm hoping that the luck is still towards those Tom Cruise's who want the speed of a fighter and not the integrity of the heavies.

I do thank you for your comments and hope to hear more from you again soon.

Cheers!
Crye me a river

DeltaGuy

Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:43 pm

FutureUALpilot,

Shoot me an IM on AOL, (its in my info), or creilly@ju.edu..

Dad was a Hornet pilot for quite awhile, now is in his 5th year with Delta as a 737 F/O.

Like what was said, there's really no way to know exactly what's gonna get you into the majors..requirements and needs have changed so much in the past years, and will be different when we go up for it..alls I can do is keep the fingers crossed  Smile

USNSeal,

You're in a great position right now, 'FO or pilot...the experience alone is worth dividends, and I have met many a backseater who was headed to the front seat. It's doable. As for the E-6, it's a good platform (we have a few here at Cecil Field in Jacksonville, being reworked by Boeing)..but keep at the Hornet if the window's open! Where are you at in the training command?

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

flyboy80

Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:24 pm

Im 15 and I Can't wait to fly... and I will fly! However... I always find my self becoming more and more skeptical to as wether or not the job is still going to have the presteige and pay that it does today. Also, something else to worry about is if there are even going to be those positions, as you have to start worrying when you see people being checked in at airports by machines!!! Any of you pilots have any thoughts on that for me???

barney captain

Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:58 pm

To all those aspiring......it can be done. Got my private @ 19 while throwing bags for Skywest. By 23 I was sitting in the right seat of a Metro for Skywest, Capt by 25. Hired at Southwest @ 27 and made Capt. by 30. Been at WN 12 years now and feel VERY LUCKY. I was talking to my FO on the last trip and we came to a conclusion; the road to an aviation career can be a real challenge, mostly luck and A LOT of perseverance. Want it badly enough, make a few good (lucky) choices and it can happen.

Did I mention luck?

Southeast Of Disorder

MD88Captain

Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:12 am

SWABubba. I was a TACAMO guy for a tour. VQ3. Old Tacamo. I'm sure we knew many of the same people. Keilty, Strance, Lochousen, Kline, and a host of others.

SWAbubba

Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:00 am

Usnsealt82,

E-6's are actually pretty tough to get because there are only two squadrons. They only need roughly 24 new guys a year, so it's really luck of the draw whether there's even an E-6 in the drop the week you select.

Good luck!

MD88-

Yeah, Vern was in charge while I was there and Irish showed up to be vice about the time I left. Of course all those folks had lots more stripes than I did, so I didn't get to know them very well.

Seems like most guys who got out went to UAL or WN, we've got at least 20ish ex-TACAMO guys here.

MD88Captain

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:37 am

I was the Flight Officer under Irish when he became the OpsO. And Vern was the CO then. Most of the guys I knew were gone by the time you got there or their names have evaporated from my mind. Peggy Kline used to be the ACO on my crew. Dave Kiehl was a contemporary who wasn't universally respected. You may have run into Mel Parham or Jim Scanlan before they got out. Both Great guys. How about Luke Caron? He was my 3P/2P for awhile. Tom Maser? Al Herr? Greg Hlubek? Al's at SWA.

When I got hired it was AA or DAL for most of us. That was back when you had to be a splittail or minority even to get an interview. A Tacamo buddy of mine said on his app to UAL that he was an American indian. He got an interview immediately. When he got back to VT-31 he had gained a new "indian" callsign. He became "2 dogs F***ing" from the joke with the same punchline.

Tacamo was a great deal back in the day. I imagine it went downhill after the move and with the Looking Glass addition.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:44 am

Boy you guys sure know how to make a young guy's day. All of these words of positive reinforcement and encouragement are doing wonders for my outlook on the future.

As I sit here today, I've got a class 1 medical (as of last week), a pending college degree (not given out till May but I finished this fall) and I've decided at 22 to go after my dream. I'm not in it for the money or the prestige - I just want to fly airliners for a living. It's what I've wanted deep down since I was a kid.

I've heard all the negativity and yada yada but I want to give it my best shot anyway. I study and work hard and I know I've got what it takes - I just need to figure out how the hell I start. I know the military route isn't happening for me - so I'm going after my PPL. It's all about lucky decisionmaking - that much I've gathered already - so I'm wavering at just going for the PPL and instrument stuff at my local FBO or flat-out signing on to a couple years at one of various flight academies here in California.

Hope to be working with ya'll up there one day...

Aaron
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MD88Captain

Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:56 am

Aaron. The BEST deal going is AF Reserve or ANG units. Don't just write off a military path. Investigate it thoroughly. If I were in your place at your age I'd beg, borrow, or bribe my way into a C17 unit. A couple of years of active duty and off to the airlines. Of course you'll have reserve obligation. And you may love it so much that you don't go to the airlines.

ScottishLaddie

Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:58 am

My aim in life is to become a pilot for BA. I can't thimk of anything better than being a pilot.  Smile
My mums cousin, who I have never met, is a pilot/FO (not sure which) for Loganair. He'll know what landing a plane on a remote beach is like Big grin
A friend of my aunties was a DL MD11 pilot. Will he be flying 777s now?

DC3CV3407AC727

Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:12 pm

I am a pilot for a major 727 operator, ChampionAir ,I've come up the interesting way,DC3s,Convair 340s then the 727. Go for your dreams kid,this is still the best job in the world!!! God bless,and good luck!!!
the rumble of round engines is like music to me,likewise the thunder of thr JT8D

SWAbubba

Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:42 pm

MD88-

Mel, Luke, and Scammer were at -4 when I was there. I saw Mel and Scammer at Norb Tornes COC when he took over VQ-7 (NTSU). Mel's at UPS, Scammer's at AA and is the CO of one of the KC-10 USAFR squadrons at MacGuire.

I left just as the B's were showing up, but at least they get per diem at Offutt. No such luck at the Tinker alert.

MD88Captain

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:25 am

SWA

"Scammer" That just cracks me up. I had forgotten that we called him that, but I'm glad it followed him. I thought that I heard Luke went TAR. Well I guess Tina let him go TAR.

Those were good times. But the pay sucked.

If you run into Larry Burnett at SWA, tell him his college roommate says hi.

[Edited 2004-01-16 02:25:58]

MD11Lover

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:35 am

Skipper not around??

rthrbeflying86

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:10 pm

Skipper was on vacation for a while, now he's back, but I think he mostly hangs out in tech/ops. Anyway...I was thinking someone ought to start a thread like the one for Piedmontgirl for the Skipper one of these days...

Dan
I'd rather be flying.

HAL

Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:36 pm

Until last summer, I was a 767 F/O for Hawaiian. I was furloughed in June, and am waiting for a recall. In the mean time I'm flying Piper Navajo's out of Fairbanks Alaska for a commuter airline out to small villages around the northern half of Alaska. Yes, I know, quite a change of scenery.

Everything the people above have said about patience and perseverance hold true. I grew up in an aviation family, but didn't start flying myself until almost out of college at 23. Bad timing had me finishing up my commercial, CFI, multi, etc just as the first gulf war hit at age 28. NOBODY was hiring for a few years after that, and I sat for what seemed like forever (actually about four years) applying, re-applying at flight schools, parachute schools and the like for any job I could find. Finally at age 33, a part time CFI, then full time, then regional, then Hawaiian. Now at 42, even despite the furlough, the financial hardships, and the current long separation from my family, it has still been worth it.

If your heart is in it, you will love your career. If you're just in it for the $, then you may be in for a long, hard career.

Good luck, and clear skies!

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

vatveng

RE: Who Here Amongst Is A Pilot For A Major Carrie

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:12 pm

I'm glad to see all this encouragement. I've always suspected that pilots were a supportive bunch, the chopper pilot at the TV station I work for is pretty supportive of people wanting to learn how to fly, but I remember the first pilot I ever met (I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time) was this grumpy, bitter old man who, after finding out that I had flying aspirations, basically told me to "Stay the hell outta my sky!" To this day I've never met a pilot as grouchy as him, and I suspect there are very few like him, but as with most things the negative experiences tend to take up residence in your memory and refuse to fade. I get the feeling most of the pilots on this board are 180 degrees from that grouch.

AA717driver

RE: Usairways Wants To Sale ASSETS-HUBS,SHUTTLE, G

Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:07 am

Twelve years at TWA. Two years at AA. Getting furloughed March 2. I wouldn't trade my time at TWA. Hoping to get my 737 type and get a chance at SWA or AirTran.

Flew L10 FE, DC9 Capt. and FO, 717 Capt., 767/757 FO at TWA and MD80 Capt. at AA. Now tumbling down through 757 FO and MD80 FO on my way out.

A friend(AA 777 FO, sen # 3300) is trying to get out of aviation and thinks I'm crazy for staying in. He, like many, have never seen a day of hard times and apparently doesn't have the stomach for it. I wouldn't do anything else.

For those who aspire to this career keep in mind that people having my kind of career are relatively rare as are those like Barney Captain. Most have careers in the middle. It has been and remains a crap shoot.

Enjoy the ride.TC
FL450, M.85

Soulman

RE: Who Here Amongst Is A Pilot For A Major Carrie

Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:47 am

Well, looks like I'm in for one hell of a ride!

Yesterday I was issued my Student Pilot Licence and after 7.7 hours in the air - my instructor thinks I'm ready for my first solo which will be next Thursday or Friday.

I've investigated both the military and civilian route and decided on the latter. After high school this year I hope to get an aviation degree.

I'm trying not to plan too far ahead as times do change, but I do have some goals that I wish to achieve along the way.

Number 1 - going solo.

Cheers,

Soulman.

ifly2eat

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:52 am

Well I am not sure ATA is a "major" carrier but I am a Captain on B-737-800's for them. I flew as FO on the B-727 and the L-1011. Before that I was a "commuter dog." Admittedly, my life has not been turned upside down since 9-11 but look through this thread and see how many pilots out there have had the rug pulled out from underneath them. My heart really goes out to people who chase a dream, play by the rules, and then end up out on the street. Hopefully we will see the end of this soon and get pilots back to flying airplanes.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

JAVOMD88

Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:51 pm

Hi,
I FLY FOR AEROMEXICO, I have been working for them for 10 years, first I flew on the commuter called Aerolitoral and entered as a F.O. then became a captain of the metro, then I got called to fly the big carrier on AEROMEXICO, and flew the DC9 32, then I have been flying the MD80s for 5 years, and starting next month the training of the B737.700 so i am real exited!

Thanks and seeya!
JAVO
aeromexico.....the only true carrier of mexico

skymileman

Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:37 am

I am not, but my Dad is a DC-9 captain for ABX Air Inc. (Formerly Airborne Express) the nation's third largest freight carrier. Until august last year, he was a f/o on the Boeing 767-200. He has been with them for 9 years.

gkirk

Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:45 am

I think Rick767 is a senior F/O for easyJet now on the 737-700.
Cx flyboy flies 777s? for Cathay Pacific
AJ flies 767s for Qantas
I think AAR90? is an AA 737 captain/FO?
Ejazz is an SQ 777 F/O I think.
Wing is a Pegasus 737 F/O?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:53 am

You forgot me, Gkirk: I 'drive' two things:

1) Cessna 152s; and
2) People up the wall.

Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

Becoming a professional pilot was my second career choice after becoming a barrister. Seeing I now have my LLB and on the road to achieving the latter, I'll stick at it; I'll remain as a private pilot, though.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos