AirBerlin
Topic Author

Pinal Air Park Visiting

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:18 am

Is there any way to visit the Pinal air park without any kind of ID or is it only for military personel.

AL

jeckPDX

RE: Pinal Air Park Visiting

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:27 am

When I was a child, I lived in Tucson and would frequently travel to Phoenix. Along I-10 I would always see the jets parked in the distance. One day my father drove up to try and take me there. Absolutely not allowed. It is owned by Evergreen Aviation and no visitors are allowed. We were given a brocure for Pima air museum and not to leave!
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

AirBerlin
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:39 am

Thanks, I was planing to visit there but I guess I'll have to change my plans.

AL

flyf15

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:43 am

I had the same experience that JeckPDX had, about 4 years ago. Kind of strange seeing as how it is a public airport.

IMissPiedmont

Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:50 pm

Evergreen leases the field from Pinal County, they don't own it. You can land there to buy fuel and fly over it freely, you just can't wander around and since Schnozz died some years back, tours are no longer offered.

But for what it's worth, later this year the main gate will be opened to any who want to visit. Just don't try to get onto the ramp.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

L-188

Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:45 pm

The tours where offered to see the WWII aircraft that where being stored their until the completion on their Air Museum up in Mcminniville Oregon.

Took that tour in 1996.

Like somebody mentioned before, now that those display aircraft are gone I don't think the tours are happening anymore either.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

EA CO AS

Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:27 pm

Try calling Evergreen to see when their next open-house might be. I attended one several years ago, and it was incredible. They even had around five or six aircraft being returned to lessors that were open for tours.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LEARJET23

Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:37 am

I live just up the hwy from this place, it is a national guard field and U. S. Marshall training canter as well. 747's by the mile, and damn near everything you can think of. a 747 coming in between Pachaco Peak to land at this farm field is a real sight! Security is the first concern (so they say) but who the hell would try to boost some 747 parts in broad daylight? and at night the dogs run free. As these planes are worth billions, and all belong to banks or airlines, no one wants to expose them to any damage, they pay to store them. some of the 400's are being converted into cargo ships, and MANY 747 and tri jets go out of here to the smelter in big chunks on the backs of flat bed trucks. People come and have contracts to gut these planes, and take all the cool stuff, the rest become beer cans!

IMissPiedmont

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:37 pm

No indeed. The tours available, though long since abandoned, had nothing to do with the Evergreen Heritage fleet. They were in fact cancelled many years before the museum in McMinnville opened. Until 1991 or so, when Schnozz was still alive, a person could drive in to the field, with an appointment, and hop in his old Ford for a tour of the storage area. In fact, he'd take you to the west side and let you walk back to the hangar area while he followed.

Before one thinks I had connections, he had no clue as to who I was. He just knew people that love airplanes.

And forget the open house. The last was, I believe, in 1994.

Refer to my last post for what will be soon.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.