garnetpalmetto

Closest Airport To Sonoma, CA

Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:36 pm

Hey y'all, this summer I'm looking at taking my mother on a trip to Sonoma Valley, CA. What's the closest airport to there?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

sccutler

RE: Closest Airport To Sonoma, CA

Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:52 pm

That would be the Santa Rosa County Airport, KSTS.

See: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSTS

If you are looking for airports served by commercial airline service, you'd want to use KSFO (San Francisco).

If you are looking for an exceptionally nice general aviation airport (STS is nice, mind you), try Petaluma (O69). Great place, nice folks at Aeroventure, and a very good cafe on-field, the "Two-Niner Diner."
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

hawaiian717

Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:09 pm

Oakland (OAK) is also a viable option to reach Sonoma.

David / MRY

BlatantEcho

Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:00 pm

Santa Rosa has limited commerical service now, if much at all. UAX used to fly in from SFO, but that was discontinued.

Petaluma is nice, I'm preferential to Gnoss Field in Novato, which is 13 miles south of Petaluma. It's kind of kitty corner to Sonoma. Course, it's got a 3300' runway, so they barely get small jets out of there, but that's just a plug for my home town airport.

Otherwise, sounds like Santa Rosa is your best bet.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

SlamClick

Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:55 am

Shellville. Old skydiving airport in bicycle distance from Sonoma. Right next to Hwy 16.

Is the old Hamilton AFB (SRF) still an airport? Lot of history there.

Travis AFB (SUU) You can see C-5, C-141, C-17 in the traffic pattern some times.

There used to be a glider port at Angwin. Still there?

Nut Tree.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

BlatantEcho

Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:26 am

"Is the old Hamilton AFB (SRF) still an airport? Lot of history there."

Oh no, in fact, since that last time I was out there, it will be all houses. The hangars have commerical businesses in them, and it actually doesn't really look like a horrible gated community or something.

We use to raise hell on the torn up apron in the winter time with the rain and mud and all, good times, even when we go caught.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

George
They're not handing trophies out today

SlamClick

Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:13 am

BlatantEcho

Thought about SFR because I am running as wallpaper, a great picture of two guys hand-cranking a Bell P-39. It was taken on the southeast end of the ramp, looking back toward the hangars. There are other P-39 and some B-24s in the picture.

I went to "open house" there a couple of times in about 1958 when there were F-89s and F-104s based there. Got my first ride in a military airplane then, a taxi in a C-45. Big thrill for a kid like me.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.