megatop

BA Or QF To Perth

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:09 pm

We are planning a trip to Perth in October. The plan is to fly LHR via SIN to PER. We can choose between QF and BA from LHR to SIN.

Both are using 747-400, and both are well known, but which one is the better one ?  Confused

Megatop

9V-SVE

RE: BA Or QF To Perth

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:13 pm

Why not take BA since (presumbly) you are going for QF from SIN-PER?

Akumas

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:15 pm

I'm in Perth... Hope you enjoy it here. Although I'm only 13 I'm willing to help you out.
I think you should fly Singapore, otherwise Qantas as they're safety record is top-notch..

airchabum

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:17 pm

Megatop

I could be wrong (I usually am!) but I thought that it was a codeshare flight and that BA don't actually fly to PER with their own a/c any more. I've flown Emirates, Singapore, Cathay and Malaysian to PER and they've all been excellent. Not flown Qantas longhaul though. In any case, PER is a lovely city - enjoy your trip!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cheers
Biggidy biggidy bong

djon1114

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:19 pm

I would say QF only because BA has never looked after me properly there to British for me !

d

SA7700

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:23 pm

My personal preference would be QF. Have flown both BA and QF in the past and prefer QF.
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

TexAussie

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:26 pm

Hmmm, I go to Singapore and Perth a lot and the only time I am aware of BA coming to Perth in recent times was to drop of the England Rugby team (special routing, deviated from SIN-SYD by going SIN-PER-SYD) for the World Cup.

I agree with Airchabum; I think it will be a QF 744 aircraft on a code-share. Not too long a flight -- QF or SQ are both good nonstop options.

Akumas

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:31 pm

I hope you enjoy your time here

These were from my 4day holiday down south of Western Australia
PS.. If you have approx 3-5days while your in Perth to take a 3hr drive down south, do it. If you're only coming to Perth once. DO IT. I urge you. Its absolutely excellent. *These photos are from the "drive down south"

Qantasclub

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:31 pm

The service is better on BA, Qantas has better economy class, better IFE and food. Otherwise, they are both pretty much on par.
Long Haul is the only way to go

EGGD

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:38 pm

I'd say it was the opposite, at least in my experience.. QF has the better service! Although, I think in terms of Food they are both similar, I haven't tried the new QF IFE but if you are flying to PER you may get a 767-300 without PTV's or even Tv's as was the case on my flights..

Akumas

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:52 pm

Hmmmmm even though the PER>SIN route isn't very far, it still is very popular and a money maker for Qantas.
So they would most likely put a large aircraft, 747-400 on this route.

MAS777

Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:58 pm

BA no longer flies to Perth and the service is operated by QF out of Singapore. I just wish they would reinstate the original Speedbird 9 which flew LHR-KUL-PER intermittently for decades before being reassigned to LHR-BKK-SYD.

thadocta

Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:58 pm

Yet ANOTHER sad indictment of the quality of posts to be found on this board (as found in the replies to this thread).

From the OP: "We can choose between QF and BA from LHR to SIN."

No mention of SIN-PER in the original post, just LHR-SIN. Yet we have all of the "experts" coming in half-cocked without fully reading and comprehending the original post, giving all sorts of half-baked answers. No wonder A.net is regarded as the laughing stock of the aviation forums.

Dave

thadocta

Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:01 am

Megatop, are you by any chance a member of a Frequent Flyer program? If you are, this might have an influence upon which carrier you would be better off flying on.

All other things being equal though, I myself would use Qantas. I don't know what it is, I just prefer the slightly laid-back Australian attitude displayed by the cabin crew (note, "laid-back" does NOT mean unprofessional or lazy, it is just a different "style" compared to the robots you get on SQ and so forth).

I also like my Vegemite with my breakfast toast, unavailable on BA (so far).

Dave

LHR340

Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:41 am

Why not fly Emirates from LHR via DXB to PER, 777-300 & 777-200.

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:54 am

Just out of interest, have you considered CPH - SIN - PER?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

9v-svc

Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:58 am

I agree with LhR340 , EK's route is a great idea.
Airliners is the wings of my life.

RAAFController

Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:21 am

Hi All,

Thadocta: you make a very good point. Half the answers on here have no regard to the original question. And yes, having flown extensively with both airlines, I would have to say that the FF advanatges of one airline of the other (depending on which scheme you are a member of) would be the number one reason for choosing between BA and QF. That said, I usually try to fly BA on the SYD-SIN/BKK-LHR routes as I find the seating marginally better. The food is also ok on BA (out of SIN its is always the same in Y, regardless of carrier). IFE does not bother me, but I think QF has better if that is a factor for you.

Why not fly EK? Because the seats are very cramped, far more so even than QF and BA.

anstar

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:13 am

I personally would choose QF, as I am a member of their FF Program, which enables me to earn full miles & upgrade (if avail)

In terms of seat pitch, they are identical... and as for service, I think they are both great... QF in Y probably offers better IFE and catering... but not that different.

If you want variety, choose BA, as you will have QF on the last leg anyways.

ANstar

PER744

Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:59 am

For LHR-SIN you have the choice of QF and BA. As people have stated, no matter which you fly, you then have to connect to QF for the SIN-PER leg. BA stopped flying this around '99 if my memory serves me correctly.

I've only flown the LHR-SIN leg with BA, so I can't directly compare, however I've flown QF between SYD and LAX many times.

Personally I'd go for QF, I find their service on average to be slightly better (I'd say they're about equal). I'm also a
Qantas Club member and Qantas Frequent Flyer, however I'd earn the same miles and status credits on either airline.

QF in my opinion have better catering and IFE, however 18 months ago BA would have had the edge with IFE.

I assume you are flying Economy, otherwise the different Business Class products would definitely come into play.

As for aircraft, I think the flight is generally a 763, however I think the QF flights to Paris via SIN are on a 744. Haven't checked recently to see what connections that lines up with on what days though.

thadocta

Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:09 am

"Personally I'd go for QF, I find their service on average to be slightly better (I'd say they're about equal). I'm also a Qantas Club member and Qantas Frequent Flyer, however I'd earn the same miles and status credits on either airline."

Not quite correct - whilst you would earn the same status credits flying on BA, you will only get 25% of the miles if you are flying on a discount Y fare, whereas flying on QF will give you 100% of the miles.

As for seating, I find the QF seats to be somewhat better - I prefer the wrap around head supports that the QF seats have, rather than the fold down supports on the BA seats. This is an individual thing though.

Cheers,

Dave

TBCITDG

Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:22 pm

I would think twice about flying EK. QF/BA seats have more room to move in. Not sure what aircraft EK use, but the other day flying AKL-SYD, i thought I was on a 737!!
Very bad on the knees, especially if you intend to fly such a long route.

behramjee

Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:07 pm

If u have a choice between BA and QF in Eco class then BA all the way as they are superior and have ptvs in every seat. Plus QF must be flying an old B 767 on the SIN-PER run!!!

BA all the way...trust me u wont regret it  Big grin

QANTAS077

Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:10 pm

simple solution
QF to Singapore from LHR and BA on the return to LHR from Singapore.

morning flights from Sin-Per on TUE, THU and SAT are operated by 763, all other am flights are on 744, evening flights to perth are 763 also

having flown all the majors that fly to Perth i woulld only take QF, loyal QF man i am!

[Edited 2004-01-14 10:11:50]

QANTAS077

Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:16 pm

Behramjee,
all QF 744 services to PER have PTV's they are excellent quality and i have never had problems with them.

the 763 in the evening is usually the quieter service, you can almost pick your own seat.

thadocta

Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:49 pm

"simple solution
QF to Singapore from LHR and BA on the return to LHR from Singapore."

Why is that the simple solution? It might satisfy some curiousity to know which carrier is better (although either of them at their best is better than either of them at their worst) but it still doesn't answer the OP's basic question - which is better for them based upon their needs. Until we hear back from them with some answers, we won't really be able to answer their question fully (although some pointers have been given).

Dave

QANTAS077

Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:07 am

Dave,
from what i can gather Megatop has not flown on BA or QF before, if he uses both then he is able to judge for himself which is better!

everybody on this forum will have an differing opinion on the 2 airlines, if he wants to know for sure then i suggest he try BA and QF to find out for himself!

pretty damn simple if you ask me.

they both pretty much fly out of SIN at the same time and arrive at LHR at the same time and VV, the service in economy on both airlines is satisfactory, what else does he need to know?

PER744

Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:35 am

Thadocta: Thanks for the tip on the BA/QF miles. I haven't flown BA since they changed the points system from 0.7 points per kilometre to 1 point per mile.

thadocta

Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:59 pm

"from what i can gather Megatop has not flown on BA or QF before, if he uses both then he is able to judge for himself which is better!"

A bit late AFTER the flights have occurred - the OP wants to know which carrier is better for the LHR-SIN flights, to suggest "Try them both" is NOT answering their questions about what to do on THESE flights.

I can see it now:

"Which airline shall I fly on my once in a lifetime flight to the moon? NASA or the Russian shutlle?"

"Try them both, you will know for next time."

"That doesn't help me on THIS trip, which is what I am asking about."

Dave

tsentsan

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:02 am

Might I suggest that perhaps you can do a BA one way, and QF the return... it should be possible since they both code share on each other's flight.
NO URLS in signature

EZYAirbus

Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:51 am

As BA and QF codeshare whatever airline you book with QF will be doing the SIN-PER sector even if you book BA.

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Moolies

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:40 am

Why not come down to South Africa for your holiday?

Why dont youy fly via JNB on SAA, you will get a 744 and then a brand spanking new 343. Just a suggestion, I agree with the one post of try singapore.

Moolies

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:42 am

Why not come down to South Africa for your holiday?

Why dont youy fly via JNB on SAA, you will get a 744 and then a brand spanking new 343. Just a suggestion, I agree with the one post of try singapore.

QANTAS077

Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:32 am

looks like TT agrees with my suggestion also, try both, seriously Dave BA and QF are not that dissimilar to each other, planes are pretty much the same, service is pretty much the same. I dont see Megatop asking for any specific service requirements, the Y class service on both is pretty much the same. so why not sample a bit of both, atleast that way he or she can say they have flown BA and QF.

BA001Concorde

Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:54 am

Megatop:

Here is an idea for you original question.

No matter what, you will end up flying from SIN -> PER -> SIN on QF.

Why don't you fly LHR -> SIN on BA and SIN -> LHR on QF.

BA and QF both codeshare with each other on that route. It should not matter which airline you fly on which segment, you should end up getting the same fare (subject to availability in the correct class of service).

That way, you can get a taste of both airlines.

BA001
Fly with a veteran, not a "Virgin".

QANTASforever

Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:28 am

Unless you want to endure a long and tedious flight with not PTV, when I suggest you fly Qantas. Brilliant service, food, IFE, aircraft - and you'll feel like you've already landed in Australia the moment you step onboard in LHR.

Enjoy the West Australian capital!

QFF

P.S: The grammar on this thread has been exceedingly bad. Just for future reference:
Their: "It's their cat"
They're: "They're going on a holiday"
There: "The airport is over there"
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

thadocta

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 pm

"looks like TT agrees with my suggestion also, try both, seriously Dave BA and QF are not that dissimilar to each other, planes are pretty much the same, service is pretty much the same."

Just because somebody agrees doesn't make it a valid point - they are information to enable them to make an informed decision for THIS trip.

FWIW, I do not find them to be pretty similar - I find the BA seats to be far worse than the QF seats, the catering is pretty similar, although QF wins with the "Snack on Q" bags, BA flight attendants I have found to be rather snotty and QF has the better IFE in Y, all of which I alluded to above. As I mentioned above, I feel the OP would be better off on QF, and saying "Try them both" will lead to them having one particularly bad trip (on the BA sector).

Dave

GBOAC

Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:02 am

Qantasforever:

Unless you want to endure a long and tedious flight with not [sic] PTV, when [sic] I suggest you fly Qantas

BA's 744s have PTVs in all classes.

"with not PTV, when" - if you're going to criticise the English in other posts here, at least proof your own first!  Smile

Phil