7574EVER
Topic Author

The Future Of Airline Pilots...

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:26 pm

As some of you may already know, I'm almost nineteen, an aviation major, and I just scheduled my commercial checkride for Tuesday. Anyway, with the industry is I'm always hearing comments from people saying that "people in flight school right now will more than likely never see the cockpit of a major airline." What do you all think about this? Will the airline pilots of tomorrow ever get any further than a CRJ? I look forward to your comments.

[Edited 2004-01-14 07:55:01]
Right rudder....Right rudder...Come on, more right rudder....Right rudder......Aw forget it, I quit!!

socalatc

RE: The Future Of Airline Pilots...

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:28 pm

Give it time buddy, it will always turn around and the hiring will be like it was 4 years ago. Keep flying, get those hours and there will be a job there for you when your ready. Its well worth the wait.

futureualpilot

Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:33 pm

Ive often wondered this as well...I think/hope there will be, but it may take time as Socalatc pointed out.
Life is better when you surf.

C17Glbm

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:20 pm

Every industry or sector of economy has it's ups and downs. Facts that you can't disregard are that airtravel is and will be a necessity and that the way the world is becoming more and more connected more pilots will be needed. I also think that Socalatc got a point and all you need to do is wait for the next 3 or 4 years to come around.
Good luck on your checkride.

usnseallt82

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:37 pm

I promise you this, as another has already mentioned, there is RARELY a time when any pilot does NOT think about whether or not they'll be able to stay in the cockpit. What gets certain pilots in and, more importantly, KEEPS them in is the motivation and determination to not let yourself give up.

Even us in the military wonder every now and then about what may come tomorrow that might kick us out of our dream. Whether it be a bad medical, bad checkride, or decommissioned aircraft, the thought always crosses out minds.

In fact, I think I'd be worried about your arrogance if you DIDN'T question it!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy The truth is, you'll see the cockpit of whatever aircraft you want to see if you study hard, pass your exams, and be honest throughout your career.

Good luck to you buddy, on both your life in the wonderful world of aviation and that pain in your stomach about your upcoming checkride. I'm sure you'll do just fine! And if you pass the exam, then you've accomplished what 90% of the pilots out there never have or never will...commercial freedom! Or, commercial slavery, whichever way you see it!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cheers!
Crye me a river