PVD757
Topic Author

NW New MSP-BHM Service

Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:45 am

Per nwa.com, this new route will see twice daily CRJ service from Pinnacle airlines. With the new UA/Mesa DEN service looks like the folks down in BHM are having a pretty good week!

Continental

RE: NW New MSP-BHM Service

Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:35 am

That's pretty cool. It's a shame I'll never want to fly down there.

co

dvk

Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:01 am

And just why is that, Continental? If you've never been here, you shouldn't rule it out. Don't prejudge on the basis of decades old history and the prejudiced preconceptions of too many people around the USA. Birmingham is a great city, and most people who come here for the first time are surprised by the city's beauty and amenities. It's a nice place to live, with a much more hospitable climate than MSP!
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

B4REAL

Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:04 am

Everyone take note that this (and other) announcements from NW recently on service enhancements are mostly RJ flights. So, soon, we will not be able to say: "Avoid RJs on NWA" as IndustrialPate and others have made so strongly of a point on this website.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

bhmal

Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:05 am

Do try the new service out and give us a visit. Birmingham offers an updated museum with an IMAX theater, a nightlife district in Southside with many restaturant fares and a hilly terrain offering exceptional views.

I had posted here earlier about this new service. With 3 rountrips to MEM and 4 to DTW it seems there will be a good bit of overlap in service. I'm sure NW wouldn't have added the route if the numbers weren't there to support it.
Now I have to choose between UA's new DEN service and NW's MSP service to go to Billings later this year....

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:48 pm

Well you are still more likely to not be on an RJ with NW. A route like this is simply "connecting the dots" in the NW network. This eliminates the need for many double connects, as there are are many smaller cities exclusive to each hub. A route like this makes sense as an RJ. NW is taking delivery of 2 CRJ's per month (to Pinnacle) through 2005. With 70-some in the fleet now, with a total of 125-ish, they have to go somewhere. For the time being, this spring, they are being used to open many new routes, as opposed to replacement flying for either mainline or turboprops. With NW's large fleet of DC-9's, they don't need as many RJ's as their peers. Now that the 70-115 seat market is so hot, NW is already of the game with its DC-9 fleet that fits right in that niche.