Anyone Here Flown Wideroe?

Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:02 am

Just wondering if anyone has flown on Wideroe in Norway. I think those pilots are some of the best around. The terrain and weather conditions they have to fly in are very hard sometimes. I flew from Sandefjord to Mosjoen once and on landing we were flying down a deep valley between 2 mountains. That was a bit scary but also exciting. Any comments please.

RE: Anyone Here Flown Wideroe?

Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:09 am

Sometimes in early 1970s I flew with them to Hammerfest... cannot remember exactly the type of aircraft, the airplane was flown by a lady, her name was Turi Winderoes, the daughter of the founder of the airline.
Turi happened to be the first lady airline pilot and captain in the world... I understand she went to SAS at a later time... Beautiful country up there, that is in summer, I went there to see the "midnight sun"...
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

RE: Anyone Here Flown Wideroe?

Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:15 am

Great airline, however, one aspect of their operations is that they need VFR conditions to get out of certain places. Good safety-wise, but it certainly lowers the credibility of being on time etc.

I agree with you Vulindlela744, flying tiny commuter Dash 8's in mountanious Scandinavia/the Rockies/Himalayas or whatever is probably the greatest experience one can get on an airliner.

Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured