eddieho

Inflight Safety Video

Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:49 am

Hi there,

2 questions:

Are there any specific 'rules' that airlines must show in safety demonstration videos before takeoff...

...and does anyone know if there are airline safety instruction videos available for download?

Thanks

flug

RE: Inflight Safety Video

Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:58 am

Same rules apply for safety videos as in live demos but people pay way more attention to live demos.

debonair

Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:45 am

Another question:

1. Which airline is showing the best live demo?
2. Which airline is showing the best demo video?

for 1. Ryanair
for 2. Orient Thai

eddieho

RE: Best Inflight Safety Video

Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:46 am

Out of all the airlines I've been on, South African Airways (SAA) have the best inflight safety video I've ever seen... (B747 / A340)

The inflight video is comical and very humerous, and gets to the point in a very friendly (and funny way).

The whole presentation was 'acted' by cartoon drawn characters set in a 3D background (not by 3D models or real people as in other airlines). Every character has their own sense of 'personality' within them, and very humourous, and you are able to see that when you watch the video.

The way safety demonstrations are described are very original: e.g. the part about putting your carry on luggage in overhead compartments, there was a man who took his time putting in his luggage and other passengers "steaming" behind him as they can't get past. Also - when he tried to take out the luggage in flight, a whole lot of luggage fell on top of him and later, he rised out in bandages - the message that one should handle with care as luggage might have shifted during the flight.

The part about smoking was very well performed when the plump man was caught with tons of smoke in the washroom, waving all the smoke away, and looking very innocent (with a non smoking sign on the side of the screen, with the narrator: smoke detectors are fitted in lavatories... etc)

Other characters include a baby in oversized pampers who can walk (looks like that guy from the warner brothers), an old lady doing the knitting, etc. (Of course - these are all cartoon drawn characters).

It was so good that, in fact - the passenger sitting next to me said that it was her first time that she actually PAID ATTENTION to the whole video. Many other passengers also agreeed and got 'glued' on to the screen. Personally I absolutely enjoyed the video, unlike most of the other airlines it feels that you are being sold something. Most of the scenes were very 'down to earth' - scenes depicted the discomforts of flying an airplane (wait time, turbulence, tightness, etc), not like other airlines where they try to illude you that you are comfortable. The 'discomforts' were cleverly played upon using humour, comforting the passenger and attracting their attention.

Also to mention that SAA has very friendly customer service too!!!

So again - if anyone knows where to download videos, pls tell me! Any other videos anyone can share? Or do most people just 'sleep' through it?

alexchao

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:13 am

I think EVA Air has pretty nice safety demonstration videos. They aren't particularly funny, but they get the point across. They are broadcasted in three languages (Mandarin, Taiwanese, English) with Japanese sub-titles and a small window with sign language.

There aren't any cartoons because the video was directly filmed on actual aircraft.

I'd be interested in where to download videos as well.

-alexchao

Richard28

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:28 am

Eddieho, the SAA one sounds similar to the VS one - which is the best one I've seen (not flown SAA)

VS also is a cartoon, is funny, and from what I understand (others may be able to confirm) the CAA in the UK had doubts about approving it, as it was not serious enough, until the CAA were convinced that actually more people did watch it because it held peoples attention (and still got the important messages across).

On my last flight on VS to SFO the safety video did not work, and there was a call over the PA at the last minute for the steward/stewardesses to prepare for "manual demonstration", they weren't to happy aboput that, but took it with a big grin and a pinch of salt - which was just as entertaining!!

Rich.

FlyboyOz

Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:59 am

Back to 1995 or 1996, there was a download about Asiana flight safety demonstation on the Asiana website...But now, it had been deleted!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

okko

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:09 pm

yep, and although I try and avoid Finnair as plague,
their safety demo video is ok compared to the 'show' seen on most airlines I have flown with.
ok

chrisdigo

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Here is a video of an old ad from the company Air Liberte. That's a parody of a live safety demo and it was really funny and it's even funnier today since Air Liberte is gone....

ftp://ftp2.claire-foncet.fr/clairefo/2/airlib.zip

Chris

eddieho

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:54 pm

I had no idea at all what that video is about - dont understad it - thanks anyway! Is that a campaign for British Airways? (Air Liberte?)

- I sort of get the airfare part.

chrisdigo

Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:20 pm

Let me try to transcript what it is said:

Ladies and Gentleman welcome on board
Emergency exit are located in the front, the middle and in the back of the plane
Seat belts fasten and un-fasten like that
Like usual we will take off 2 hours late
During the flight our flight attendant will serve no drinks or no meal
even to passengers in business class
the flight attendant have other things to do, so don't push the call button
We wish you a nice flight and hope to see you again

Chris

nethkt

Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:09 pm

TG's demo video is wonderful too. Very decent!!  Big grin
Let's just blame it on yields.

sevenair

Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:36 pm

UAL domestic is good, its nice when they say "thankyou for flying the friendly skies of united"

SafetyDude

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:53 pm

VS also is a cartoon, is funny, and from what I understand (others may be able to confirm) the CAA in the UK had doubts about approving it, as it was not serious enough, until the CAA were convinced that actually more people did watch it because it held peoples attention (and still got the important messages across).
I agree - it is very funny and people definitely pay attention, but the exits part is not that clear (where all of them are, door operation, and the emergency slide).

The same goes for their Safety Cards, which are some what unclear (same reasons as above).

VS is not at the bottom of the line for Safety Cards, if anyone has seen CX and Kenya Airways.

Smile

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

757lgw

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:48 am

Well i think u should all pay a visit to http://www.airtoons.com
for some serous in-flight saftey "in the likley event of clicking on this link you are likley to crack up"

Nick

skytrain

Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:34 am

These are great! I'm ACTUALLY laughing out loud!

"Faceless passengers will be bound to a cement block and expelled mid-flight" haha!

Cheers - Skytrain.

TexAussie

Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:26 am

757 lgw, that was great!

I was laughing so hard I couldn't keep the mouse still enough to click next!

kjet12

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:40 pm

757lgw: That link made my day. I was laughing uncontrollably!! Thanks.

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.