Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PVD757
Topic Author

What Happens Next?

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:30 am

I know that it looks like I've been beating this drum a lot lately. I just am curious how this affects other people in the counrty, if not the world. In the NE, it is almost inconcevable that there might not be any more US Airways. I realize that the whole US aspect has been talked to death here. I was wondering what happens after(if and only if you assume what I currently do) in the aviation world. Do you see dramatic differences where US was?

UNITED777300

RE: What Happens Next?

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:48 am

I think that if/when US goes under (which would be after selling assets) a lot of other major carriers (UA,NW,AA,CO,DL) would step in and pick up the most profitable assets (PHL, 'Buses, regionals, EMB's) and start/add service to most of the cities US served. Because they are so East Coast centered, they are really flying in a very competive market; so there aren't a lot of cities that would lose all air service. But, it would make the market a bit smaller.

ual747den

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:55 am

I think that UA would step in and make it a pretty seamless transition. I don't think that loosing US would make much of a difference to passengers after just a few months to transition. This is coming soon and I hope all goes well and the employees of US can get into new jobs ASAP.

mariner

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:57 am

People couldn't imagine a world without Pan Am. Or Eastern. Or TWA.

It happens. Other carriers move in to pick up the slack.

Outside the NE US, most of the world wouldn't notice the difference.

Then again, it hasn't happened yet (US Airways), and remember that it is incredibly hard to kill an airline.

cheers

mariner

PVD757
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:07 am

Does anybody think that the airports like CLT, PHL, and DCA will go through a lot of financial trouble until they find a replacement for the lost capacity? Is this even feasible as far as replacing the lost capacity?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos