PacificFlyer

Question Regarding Airline Managers.

Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:25 am

My brother asked me these two really good questions regarding airline managers. I have been pondering about the multiple answers to these two questions, but what do you think?

1. How can airline managers keep pace with changing information technology?

2. What mistakes can airline managers make in their perceptions of people, objects, and events?

Thanks.

For number two what I can think of from the top of my head is probably when an airline over expanded, especially right after deregulation, i.e. Braniff International or instances like when America West operated 747s to Tokyo and thought that they would be lucrative. Anotehr one that I think of is instances like when Pan Am overpaid in acquiring National Airlines or when United set up a low-cost United Shuttle but did not go well.

AAR90

RE: Question Regarding Airline Managers.

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:25 pm

1. How can airline managers keep pace with changing information technology?

Establish a technology manager position. Someone who specializes in that particular field.

2. What mistakes can airline managers make in their perceptions of people, objects, and events?

Same as anybody else... they're human after all.

For number two what I can think of from the top of my head is probably when an airline over expanded, especially right after deregulation, i.e. Braniff International or instances like when America West operated 747s to Tokyo and thought that they would be lucrative. Anotehr one that I think of is instances like when Pan Am overpaid in acquiring National Airlines or when United set up a low-cost United Shuttle but did not go well.

You describe business decision errors. The managers probably thought they were making the best decisions at the time, but were eventually proven wrong. No different than any other business decision... or just about any other decision anybody makes.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!