DETA737
Topic Author

TAP Looking To Add New Brazilian Cities

Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:44 am

Apparently TAP Air Portugal is looking to expand it's Brazilian network and is studying the feasibility of opening up new routes to Brazil. The cities being looked at are Belém, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Curitiba and Manaus. TAP already serves Fortaleza, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and São Paulo with non-stop flights to Lisbon. The airline has consolidated itself as the leading European carrier to Brazil, transporting over 600,000 passengers between Europe and Brazil in 2003.

I personally think that Belo Horizonte would be feasible since it's a fairly large city with no non-stop service to Europe. Brasilia non-stop could also do wellsince I would think that it would be a fairly high-yield flight if you could fill it with government bureacrats. LIS-BEL-MAO might be good as the LIS-BEL sector would consolidate TAP as a leader to Northeast Brazil. Extending LIS-GRU to CWB is another possibility.

Though TAP needs to acquire more longhaul jets first. They leased another A310-300 last year bringing their total to 6. I know that they plan to keep the A310s until at least mid-2006, but I would really think that they should seriously begin looking at some A330-200s.

donder10

RE: TAP Looking To Add New Brazilian Cities

Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:46 am

until at least mid-2006, but I would really think that they should seriously begin looking at some A330-200s.

According to reliable rumours,they have been to complement and then replace and extent the A310 fleet.