Birdwatching
Topic Author

Best Airport Locations

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:14 pm

Okay, let me start this as an addition to the "Worst Airport Locations" thread that is being discussed right now:

Which are the airports that are closest to downtown, quickly to reach, by mass transit or even by foot? Is there even an airport in the US that you can reach by foot?

VERY IMPORTANT: I'm not asking for small city airports / secondary airports, but the city's main / international airport.

My vote goes to UIO: It's right in the MIDDLE of the city. Unfortunately, every couple of months a pilot forgets to hit the brakes, which made property prices at the runway ends fall to near zero.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ray Harvey

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © LUIS SEAMAN

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

pr1268

RE: Best Airport Locations

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:34 pm

Other candidates

~~~close to downtown/city center~~~
SAN
PHX
LAS
HNL

~~~Honorable mention~~~
I mention these because they seem to be in a relatively convenient location considering the amount of domestic/int'l traffic the airport sees and the metropolitan area's size (notice mostly dual-cities with the airport pretty much splitting the difference):

MSP
DFW
SEA

~~~Junky location for an airport but otherwise great for convenience~~~
DCA
DAL, MDW (They're wedged into residential neighborhoods!)
Kai Tak

The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.