ORDnDFW777

Airline / Airport Geek...I Admit It

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:15 pm

Anyone else admit to being an aviation geek?

aa757first

RE: Airline / Airport Geek...I Admit It

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:22 pm

I think that honor comes with a screenname on this site. Big grin

AAndrew

777ER
Crew

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:27 pm

I will happly add my name to the list. Every one has different hobbys and my hobby is aviation
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

jsnww81

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:32 pm

Exactly... that's all it is, a hobby/interest.

I kept my interest in aviation secret all through school growing up (for fear of being branded a 'geek')... although when I got to college, I finally "came out of the hangar", so to speak, and everybody thought it was cool. It's no different from being a sports nut or an automotive nut.

What's more, my friends started bringing me postcards and timetables any time they traveled. My timetable collection grew considerably as a result of 'going public'!

dairbus

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 pm

I am a airplane nut/geek and proud of it. Greetings my brothers!!!! Big thumbs up

DAirbus
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Lucky727

Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:55 pm

Yeah, count me in. Any of you fly a lot as a little kid? That's where I was bitten by the bug. Still is one of the coolest experiences.
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

FrontierA319

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:26 pm

I think that honor comes with a screenname on this site.

LOL, I agree with that.

Yeah I am, Have been since i was a little kid.

Chris
A Whole different Animal!

JetChaser

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:29 pm

aviation geek could be a little harsh but I know I need help. No AA Meetings around here. That's Aviation Anonymous by the way. I think I'm mostly in denial.

JetChaser

jeffrey1970

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:31 pm

I am very happy to be an airplane and airport geek
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

cancidas

Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:35 pm

at first glance i though futterman wrote this...
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

N751PR

Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:45 pm

I'm agreeing with Aa757first here. Big grin

Many people question why I like airliners, but for me I just tell them its the same thing.........it's a passion.  Big thumbs up
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

ordpark

Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:07 pm

Some people collect Butterflies.....others collect tail numbers!

acidradio
Crew

Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:24 pm

I would like to live in or at the airport. Even though there is no housing AT Macedonian Airlines (Greece)">IN or AT the airport. I will have to improvise...
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

Azmi

Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:47 pm

In my teen years,while other guys took their girlfriends to movies and night clubs,I used to take mine to the airport.
fly all airlines,visit all countries

fritzi

Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:04 pm

Azmi,

Did you ever wonder why you only had one date with every girl that you took to the airport?  Wink/being sarcastic

I have to confess that I am also a Airplane geet/fanatic. Its always fun to bitch back at people who think that they are know it alls.

I met one guy on saturday night that was trying to impress a girl by trying to explain technical details to her. It was really funny how he was telling her how safe it was to fly over oceans, because if you would have to make an emergency landing, it would be a really soft landing and that no passengers would be injured!!! He became really pissed off when I joined in the conversation and made him look like a fool.

Guess who got the girl?? Big grin

lauda777

Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:27 pm

LOL good one Fritzi!

Gotta love those idiots that have no idea but just talk anyway, I remember this guy at the Avalon Air Show here in Melbourne when I went in 2003.

We were inside a tent looking at models of Boeing and Airbus aircraft when we saw a large (about 2 metre long) model of the A380, there was a couple behind us and the female asked the guy, why is it called AIRBUS??
The reply "because its big and carries lots of people" LOL Big grin

Anyways getting back on the topic, I am an AV geek and proud of it  Big grin
We remind passengers all flights are non smoking, if you are caught smoking you will be asked to sit outside on the wing

JAFA

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:24 am

I am so much of a aviation geek, that I passed up college at 19 to become a Flight Attendant for a charter company. I traveled to places I never heard of. I don't regret it at all. I swore I would go to college which is what I am doing now. Although I work for a major airline now. My current goal is an MBA from Embry Riddle. When I was in high school I remember going to the United terminal at ORD on Saturdays just to sit in the terminal and watch airplanes. I even managed to get a class field trip to the airport hosted by United airlines. They still had the DC8 back then. The DC10 was king back then. I am not into collecting stuff, just observing is good enough for me.

tristarenvy

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:13 am

I'm one!

Got Pan Am Clipper Club, Jupiter Rex, and International Date Line crossing certificates framed in my living room, that I collected of Ebay. And a nice framed Super Constellation over the fire place. God bless my wife, for putting up with the aviation nut she married!
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

PIA777

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:16 am

I admit it, I flaunt it, I love it. I AM A AVIATION GEEK. I have actually flown
a flight on Flight Sim 2002 from JFK to LHR.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

SlamClick

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:26 am

I think I seemed less like a geek the first time I took a girl for a ride in an airplane. She thought it was cool. Told me so later. Twice.

Less still the first time I took one up in a jet.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

rockyracoon

Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:28 am

The time I spend on this site alone would probally classify me as one.

peace

elwood64151

Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:22 am

When old ladies like lighthouses, it's a hobby.

When people would litterally kill for their favorite football/soccer/rugby/baseball/basketball/hockey/NASCAR (etc, etc, etc) jersey or jacket, it's fanaticism.

When someone collects expensive wine, it's an avocation.

When someone has a shoe collection that would rival Imelda Marcos, they're "fashionable".

When you watch sci-fi and would like nothing better than to sit at the end of a runway and watch planes all day, you're a geek.

WHY!???
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

B727-200

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:25 am

I actually prefer the term "Avnerd" to Geek. I have been known to go to the airport with a mate and enough food to survive the day, and spend about 8 hours there.

B727-200.

MerC

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:46 am

I don't see myself as a geek. Even though I may spend several hours here almost every day. I see myself as a guy with a HUGE interest in aviation, don't think you are a geek just because you love aviation.

And like Elwood64151 said, why are you a geek when it comes to sci-fi and aviation etc? But when you have an interest in other categories like the ones mentioned above you are fashionable or it's a hobby (just examples).

Personally I think aviation is quite masculine, and I don't feel embarrassed telling a girl about my interest. I've told several girls about it, one of them was impressed by Aviation Photography, the other one thought it was very cool that I wanted to become a pilot.

If the word 'geek' would apply to all of those who have a huge interest in something, then I guess I am a geek.

MerC

P.S - My grammar may be incorrect, it's late and I'm tired.

[Edited 2004-01-21 01:48:36]
It's Scandinavian

CVGpilot

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:25 am

Hi IM Michael and IM and aviation-holic  Smile

NWDC10

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:22 pm

I guess i don't care if someone considers me strange. But i'll tell ya something. When i use to roam around Sea-Tac, i use to consider the airline industry my heaven. I loved it so much. Long time love i guess. But now i "only" really love the airline industry. It would have been the ultimate dream to work for an airline. I had dreams. I wanted on video tape me taxiing in the 747, DC-10 and even the Concord. I wanted pics of me standing inside a jet engine to prove how big it was and just have a pic of me sitting inside the engine with my legs hanging over. I can't believe how much i have changed since then. Every chance i get i would fly-just anyplace i could. Mainly living in Eat at the time, i'd fly to Seattle. I'd ride the "people mover" to the south sattelite first just to be with Northwest and look at the DC-10. I loved the name North West Orient at that time. I'm sorry the name changed. Then cruise to the North Sattelite and watch the aircraft take-off and land. Went to one concourse and couldn't believed what i saw. One airline use to use the thrust reversers when pulling out their MD-80's. I thought this was so cool. So the next morning i came back to watch all over again. Did this many times. As i walked into Sea-Tac, i always said out loud to myself, "These are the luckiest people in the world". If i did work for an airline, i wanted to work my 8 hours or so and sign out but "secretly" go back to work. Loving the airlines as my heaven, i'm surprised it hasn't hurt me inside. I have a chance to fly to NY soon-if it works out. My first Airbus ride. I use to go to Moses Lake Job Corp (Washington State) and fly back to Wenatchee, Wa (EAT). I would fly Merto 3"s and had my walkman and fav tape with me. On take-off, i'd turn the volume all the way up. The song with the mass addrenaline rush like "killed" me inside. I actually cryed in flight remembering going back to Moses Lake, Wa. No one heard me but i was in litteral heaven. Because of the noise of the aircraft, and very few pax around me, i cryed out loud. But i didn't care. I was in my heaven. And there was no better place to be than in the small prop-jet with my walk man and tape. Because it is a very thin route, i flew home back to Wenatchee on my 21st birthday. I was the only one on board. That was the very best birthday present i have ever recieved. I really miss those days. I think about it and it hurts inside. Those days will never happen again. I spend alot of time at airliners.net. I made it my home page. If i ever did make it to "heaven", i know that i would start crying. I love the addrenaline that comes with flying and watching airlines while listening to good music. I want that high gain. Heaven is considered a place where you want to be more than any place else. But being in the Metro 3 on that one day was the best day of my life. I'd always fasten the seat belt as tight as i could and get my music ready. There is no better drug than addrenaline. The airline industry would have been the very best life i can have. But unless i'm lucky, i won't be making it to my heaven. Robert NWDC10

santosdumont

Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:57 pm

Count me in! No apologies.

Nuts
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

Boeing Nut

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:03 pm

(nervously walking up to the podium.......... ahem)

Hello, my name is Boeing Nut.

"Hi Boeing Nut!"

Um, I've been an airliner/airport geek all my life.....

"Welcome Boeing Nut! You are amongst friends here at Airliners.net!

(queue a big group hug)

Laugh out loud
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

airlinebiznut

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:07 pm

Yes......I am one too! I used to hang out at Washington National Airport when I was 8 years old having arrived using the subway with my cousin of the same age. We would watch planes all day long and talk with the flight attendants.

Eastern Airlines hosted me and my friends on a tour of DCA and invited me and my family to many events like the retirement of the Electra and the recreation of Eastern's first flight (Pitcairn Aviation). They even put an article in their employee newspaper about me (a young travel agent) booking my dad and his business associates on Eastern.

The feeling of going to an airport and watching planes just cant be duplicated. I still love it today, although it is different (we all know too well). I ended up working for AA. I remember getting those wonderful metal wings from the flight attendants at DCA that made a special trip back down to the plane to get them for me.

BMAbound

Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:44 am

Yes, I am a fanatic too...  Big grin

Just gotta add one thing to the discussion.

I once heard a guy say (to another person) that in case of a complete loss of engine power, a 737 could glide to its destination, as long as it had reached 10.000 meters, regardless of it being a 1000 miles away! I told him it was nothing but BS, and he defended his statement by saying: "hey, do you know how fast those things are going? And how much they weigh? Just imagine the amount of energy!"

Big grin

johan
Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured

SlamClick

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:50 am

Anybody ever seen the email about whether it is better to be a jock or a nerd?

It uses Michael Jordan and Bill Gates for examples. Describes how MJ will earn a couple thousand dollars while eating dinner. $1.24 for a sneeze and so on. Then ends by saying that if he saved every penny for 500 years he still would not have as much money as Bill Gates.

Of course our kind of nerd/geek does not pay that well.

I have been watching airplanes for slightly more than half the time the have existed. I still slow down (at least) driving past an airport.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:56 am

Count me in dude. All of us here are "AVNerds" But we also have the bad guys out there called "AVDicks" A.K.A. Airport Cops, and Tom Ridge.
Puhdiddle

globetrekker

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:58 am

I was four when I got my first toy airplane and from then on I was completely hooked. I fell in love with aviation.
Am I an aviation geek? Oh yeah, and i'm so proud of it!!

Happy Flying all!

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page